• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Clearly the 1911-22 pistols have to make some design compromises, so I won't argue some of the points listed above; but I gotta say, my GSG1911 has been about 99.9% reliable through 10,000ish rounds and for what it is, that's pretty good. I'm not plucking that number out of the air, either. If I brush out the chamber and flood it with a spritz of directed CLP after every box of Federal 550, I haven't seen more than 2 or 3 problems per two boxes, or 99.7% - 99.9% reliability, including the occasional dud round that I wouldn't even say is pistol related

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Twang, I have the Colt Umarex. So far I have had no problems with it. I have shot quite a few rounds of mixed ammo. Sorry to hear of you problems, though. Hope mine keeps going.....

Jmak, the problems with mine didn't take long to show up, so if you've run a few hundred rounds with no problems, sounds like you probably got a good one. Other than that, I sure liked mine.

Anybody here have a Marvel conversion? I've heard good things about them "online," but never could personally make the acquaintance of anybody who actually had one.

MML

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    NWI
    Sig 1911-22 here, ran every type of ammo through it and is awesome with the exception of a few FTF.

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    .22 conversion

I use the Bob Marvel designed Advantage Arms "target" model conversion with CCI standard velocity ammunition. It's accurate as hell and 100% reliable. Please note that this is the target, not the standard conversion. The slide stays open after the last round, too.

TBaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    I've got a kimber rimfire target. Haven't got to shoot but a few mags through it yet but I love the thing.

Big-Bear1991

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Marion
    Are the Chiappa's as terrible as I hear or just no where near as good as others on the market? I see them for sale at many shops and my son has been eyeballing one for awhile.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I had a GSG 1911 that was pretty reliable but ultimately went back to my ultra reliable Ruger MKIII 22/45. The GSG was really nice though - I ran through a few thousand rounds (about 80% of that was with a suppressor) without any major hiccups that I would say were gun related. Had the usual ammo issues but nothing that good ole tap rack didn't resolve.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Are the Chiappa's as terrible as I hear or just no where near as good as others on the market? I see them for sale at many shops and my son has been eyeballing one for awhile.
    I haven't shot any of these .22 1911s, but my neighbor just bought the chiappa, and I was checking it out, and it has the worst trigger ever! Probably at least 10lbs! It's also a strange scale. Perhaps it's the 2/3 scale someone was talking about earlier. It's very slim! I'm also going to agree with the conversion kit people! Buy a REAL 1911, then throw a kit in it, if you need a .22 pistol!
    I know too many people who have bought the M&P-15 22s for darn near .223AR money. I've told them all to buy an AR, and a dedicated .22upper, or a conversion BCG. I'd rather have $1000 in what is essentially 2 rifles, than $5-600 in one rifle that is not as good a rifle as a $300 10/22!
    :twocents:

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Yea, they are not good

Tell your son to take his eye ball and keep going.
    I have a Chiappa 22LR pistol, which is about three years old. I will tell you, that their CS people have been helpful and polite. That is a good thing, because you
    will need them, if you buy a Chiappa. They simply are not good pistols. They are ammo picky, and require constant work to keep them going. They are made of some
    cheap alloy, which leaves a lot to be desired. I new nothing about working on guns, until I bought my Chiappa.
    Now, I will tell you, that after MUCH work on my part to keep it going, it does at times work very well. I have managed to put over 6000 rounds through it.
    I think what did it for me, was when the barrel bushing snapped apart, when I was putting it back together. Yes a barrel bushing snapped apart in my hands!
    I to:cool: think a pistol like the Ruger 22's are just a few dollars more, and well worth the difference.

JayBone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Lake County
    I got the Colt/Walther 1911, and it runs great no problems. Great feel to it too. However, I was on the same fence and really liked the Sig too. Who knows, maybe I end up with both. 12 round mag kinda sealed the deal for me. Really, neither one made by the name on the gun.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I have a gsg 1911 that has been reliable and some standard 1911 parts fit it too. You can get after market parts and accessories which aren't possible for some of the .22lr 1911. Watch what you shoot through all .22lr 1911s if you want to maximize reliability.

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    I'm a 1911 fan, but don't think I'll ever own one in .22.
    Twanger's post listed my reasons.

I do own the Browning 1911-22 which is a scaled 1911, and works pretty well.
    It tends to be picky about ammo.

My choice for a full size .22 pistol is the M&P.
    Shoots well and eats everthing I feed it.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I have the Colt/Walther .22 and have had no problems as of yet. I have tried a few different types of ammo and it does like to Winchester Super X sub sonic the best so far. Have some CCI to try on the next range trip. No complaints from me yet and I have put about 200 rds down range!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Every once in a while I get the 1911 itch and the part that stops me is that I remember how much it costs to feed one so I've done some research on the 1911 22lr's and generally speaking what sounds like the best gun for the money is the GSG from my reading on the internet. If I were to go buy a 1911 22lr today it'd be a GSG/Sig. On the other hand, I have a S&W M&P 22 and I'm pretty happy with that. At a whopping 12rds in the magazine it's the highest capacity 22lr pistol I'm aware of.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Anything but a Chiappa 22lr Pistol.
    If you never believe anything on this forum, believe this.

Top Bottom