• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Would love to see someone make a U.S. built Hi-power. I'd be perfect fit for FNH, scrap the mag safety, dovetail sights, compact, sub compact, nickle, stainless, blued... They would sell a million of them.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    "Was" being the important term. They were made from imported parts and stamped "made in the USA". But they cost more to make than they sold for, and I don't think they make them anymore. But also, they were actually finished by either Dan Wesson or Magnum Research and given the Charles Daly name.

At least from what I remember.

But I've heard the few that are out there are good guns, and their owners tend to hold on to them. They didn't have the fit/finish of the Brownings, but good guns nonetheless.

I spent some more time last night checking the web, and it's hard to know who really knows what they are talking about, but it appears that my pistol with the serial number starting with HP was finished by Dan Wesson, from imported parts. None the less, it is a fine pistol with a fine finish. And yes, I have read several times that they missed the mark on price and it cost more to make them than the price they agreed to sell them for. It is hard to run a business that way, so they went under rather quickly. All the more reason to hold onto mine.

Would love to see someone make a U.S. built Hi-power. I'd be perfect fit for FNH, scrap the mag safety, dovetail sights, compact, sub compact, nickle, stainless, blued... They would sell a million of them.

I can't agree more! There was a clone that had a short barrel. I would buy a BHP in a heartbeat with a inch shorter barrel. I did just recently buy a CZ compact that fills that spot nicely, and I really like it, but still prefer the feel of the HP.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm just curious. I understand the love for the 1911, and I would like to add one to my collection someday, but I see guys asking about 1911s in 9mm all the time, and just can't understand why more don't go with the HP. The feel in the hand is amazing. Great accuracy. 13 + 1 or 15+ 1 with mec- gar mags. History going back to 1935. Just thought I would put that out there to see if anyone else ever thought about this.

Is it not self-evidently true the JMB his own self considered the Hi Power to be superior?

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Is it not self-evidently true the JMB his own self considered the Hi Power to be superior?
    I wasn't aware of that. The pistol was not complete for another 9 years after his death. I'm pretty sure he didn't really care about the mag safety, but those French guys want some weird stuff, so he put that in for them. The pistol sat on a shelf from 1926 until the patent on the 1911 ran out and his assistant finished the pistol, ironically by copying part of the design from the 1911. So, in a way he started the pistol, then died, and in a way finished it after his death. The P35. The final work of JMB. Partially copied from the 1911.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The High Power and the 1911 were contract jobs built to a list of Govt. specifications. He did not design either of them to his personal specifications or preferences.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    The High Power and the 1911 were contract jobs built to a list of Govt. specifications. He did not design either of them to his personal specifications or preferences.
    Somehow I doubt that a master craftsman such as JMB could design a pistol such as the 1911 or the P35 without putting something of himself into the design.

Top Bottom