• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So I'm deliberating another 1911 build this winter. I can't decide which caliber to go with. My intended use for firearm will be target/plinking/fun gun. I have thoughts of using said gun for shooting sports in future... So my pickle is that for some events where power factor is required a .40 S&W caliber would be benefitial, but the economics 9mm is sweet. I'll be reloading either. I'll have to buy a converstion kit for either caliber for my reloader so the setup costs are the same.

I am currently set up for .45 with reloading and a nice 1911 in .45. My question is... what caliber 1911 for games/target/plinking would you choose?

Last edited:

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The only thing keeping me from considering this caliber is cost / availablilty of .38 super brass. Poll posted for anyone interested.

CB45

Too bad. 38 super is easy to make run in a 1911 because it is nearly the same COL. For target loads it is a doll to shoot and brass last 7-8 loadings. You're shooting cheaper bullets, too.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    If John Moses Browning wanted the 1911 to shoot anything other than the .45 ACP, he would have designed another pistol. Oh wait! He did... The Browning Hi-Power 9mm.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Since you limited the options to three calibers, it would have to be .45 ACP.

BUT .... I wouldn't overlook the 10mm (though it may be a sin) :

fusion-1911-10mm-od-desert-warrior.jpg

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The problem I have with 10mm is the same I have with .38 super... brass cost/availability... 10mm would be the 'end all' cartridge if brass were cheap and plentiful.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Well here is an out of the box answer. But if you don't reload it will probably fall in the 10mm category. I just put one together in 357 Sig. 100% reliable and combined with the weight of a 1911 this is an awesome fun gun to shoot.
    You can up load or down load it for what ever shooting you want to do.
    Right now I am loading at 175 power factor and the recoil to me is about perfect.

That is not a hot hot load for it either. even though I love my 9mm 1911 this gives me a ton more umph at will but can be downloaded to 9mm specs as well.
    I am surprised that how well this feels to shoot to be quite honest.

This was a full mag with 6 bullets it the one hole. this is 20 yards unsupported (yes I pulled 2 )

IMAG0119.jpg

If the 357 Sig would have been available in the year 1911 JMB would have certainly ran it through his gun :)

Oh P.S. I have a .40 barrel for this gun also you would be welcome to shoot it if it would help you decide before shelling out some cash.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom