• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    I have a Rock island 1911 45 acp...For those of you who shoot the 1911 I was thinking of getting a few extra clips but man there are a lot of manufactures, can anyone recommend a good clip or offer any insight ??? Will all clips interchange with all 1911 s' ???

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    In the world of 1911's some mags won't work well in some guns. Some of the better thought of mags are Chip McCormick, Wilson 47D, Kimber, and likely some I've missed. Lots of knock-offs that don't work well....

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Wilson ETM's work great in all 4 of my 1911's. I currently use them as my duty mags.

World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

Chip McCormick Power Magazines also work well in all of my 1911's. I use them as range mags.

World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

Mec-Gar Magazines work great in 2 of them and not at all in 2. However, with the 2 they work in, work better than any other mag than I have tried.

Any Wilson Combat, Colt, Springfield, or Kimber mag would also not be a bad place to start. The above are just some suggestions of something to try as well as examples of what worked for me. If you are going to get into the 1911 pistol, you will most likely find the best way about figuring out which mags your 1911 likes best, is just to buy 2-3 mags with a decent rep and try them out.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    Mine came with Novak's, but I have had real good luck with them and the Chip McCormick's if that's how it's spelled?? I have 6 different Rock's and they all preform great. I did send one back to Ivan at Armscor and had him install a new trigger, hammer, beaver-tail, and checkering on the front strap~~30lpi. It is my daily carry firearm now with 100% feed. Many of the guys in my gun club swear by the Shooting Stars for there mags. I have purchased mine from Cheaper Than Dirt.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Clips should be fine. I don't know why people get so upset about it. The old WW2 guys called them clips and I sure as heck am not going to tell them they are wrong.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I also use Wilson and Chip McCormick mags with no problems. I've heard decent things about Metalform, but haven't tried them...they don't seem any cheaper than the Wilsons, so I plan on sticking with what works for me.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Clips should be fine. I don't know why people get so upset about it. The old WW2 guys called them clips and I sure as heck am not going to tell them they are wrong.

thats because what they used WERE clips.... see picture

images

images

we use magazines since none of the ammunition except the single topmost round is exposed.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    A clip loads a magazine. So as everyone was explaining, the "clip" our grandfathers used loaded the internal box magazine. Think about your sks or mosin. You use stripper clips to again load the internal magazine.

Now for the OP, I have the Chip McCormick magazines and have not had any issues with them.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I have a bunch of Colt mags that work great in my Rock. I haven't tried any others, but I guess I could...I've got access to different ones.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If you can attend the 1500, go to the guy who has "Clips" on a large sign over his booth and try out a few. There certainly are other booths that sell 1911 magazines, but I've found he's easy to negotiate with on price reductions.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    They called their .45 mag, clips. They called their M1 carbine mags, clips. I have heard them call them that in various moves. My Dad and 3 of his brothers were in WW2 and 2 other brothers in Korea. One of them was subsequently a LEO and he still calls them clips and magazines interchangeably. Maybe all of them were wrong technically. I just don't understand this need to jump on every new guy that comes to INGO and calls them clips, and I am not talking about this thread specifically. It has been done hundreds of times with varying degrees of civility.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus

"The old WW2 guys called them clips" because the M1 used clips - not magazines. 'tain't the same things.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    They called their .45 mag, clips. They called their M1 carbine mags, clips. I have heard them call them that in various moves. My Dad and 3 of his brothers were in WW2 and 2 other brothers in Korea. One of them was subsequently a LEO and he still calls them clips and magazines interchangeably. Maybe all of them were wrong technically. I just don't understand this need to jump on every new guy that comes to INGO and calls them clips, and I am not talking about this thread specifically. It has been done hundreds of times with varying degrees of civility.
    Because people that call magazines clips usually hold their gun sideways and give us a bad name.

Top Bottom