• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    ptt811.... just a word ..... there are knock-offs out there that aren't worth a dime. The most often mentioned are the ones that say "Colt 45 Auto", and even have the prancing horse on the floor plate. You can ID them easily because there is no decimal point in front of the "45".

"clips", "mags" ? Now that's a life altering issue... why, I remember once I couldn't shoot a whole clip with any accuracy at all. Then I put a magazine in there and my groups shrunk to one ragged hole. :rolleyes: :dunno:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    ptt811.... just a word ..... there are knock-offs out there that aren't worth a dime. The most often mentioned are the ones that say "Colt 45 Auto", and even have the prancing horse on the floor plate. You can ID them easily because there is no decimal point in front of the "45".
    Yeah, that ^. I thought I saved a link that Jay gave me that described a few other things and maybe had some photos (I don't recall)...but apparently, I either didn't save it, or I saved it someplace weird and now I can't find it.
    I remember once I couldn't shoot a whole clip with any accuracy at all. Then I put a magazine in there and my groups shrunk to one ragged hole. :rolleyes: :dunno:
    Shh!! You're not supposed to tell all our ninja secrets!! Sheesh!!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Every RIA I have had loved and would feed about anything from the inexpensive Metalform mags from CDNN. They have the standard, GI style profile and work great, not to mention 9 bucks a crack. Wilsons aren't bad, I just cannot justify spending 30-40 bucks on one when I have had thousands of JHP, SWC and ball through Metalforms and have not had a single issue that was mag related. Never liked McCormicks... Just putting that out there. For the cost, I have had welds let go, followers get dinged and lock the gun up, etc... But that's my experience, YMMV

Best thing to do is maybe find someone that has a variety of mags and give 'em a try in YOUR gun. Just like lots of things gun related, every 1911 is different, including different 1911s of the same manufacturer and model. They usually have SOME handfitting, allowing for some difference in tolerances. Heck, I have had guns that would run well with the cheapy $6 chinese mags but would shear off Wilson feedlips. :twocents:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I've used a variety of mags in my 1911's. My Springfield mil spec will use pretty much any mag I've used in it and any ammo. Although its not fond of Blazer alum case. While my Kimber custom compact doesn't seem to like the Wilson 47D I have. But likes the rest of my mags. Including Mec Gar, and other cheap names. I normally try to get Chip McCormick whenever I can. I've had real good luck with them.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Wilson 47D's are my favorite, I have not had such good luck with Shooting Stars.

Top Bottom