• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Problem Solved, check page 5 for the findings.

I was reloading some 10mm brass so I could shoot my new Delta Elite some more when the ram would not go all the way up to the die.
    Pulling the brass out I noticed a bit of an issue:

IMG_3788.jpg

I have to admit that in 20+ years of reloading with probably a hundred thousand or more rounds loaded and numerous "shoot until failure" tests, this is the first time I have encountered this. I've seen bulges on one side from shooting through a Glock stock barrel, but these rings go all the way around.

This load is 8.4gr HS-6 under a 180gr Ranier Plated bullet, squarely in the middle of Hodgdon's charts, and this is loading number 8 for this brass. The brass is some Russian headstamp, looks like "nny". Not all did it, but I found 5 out of the 8 I shot that had it.

What say you, think it'll buff out? Seriously, is this something that is common in 1911s? Is there a timing issue that is off? I know next to nothing about 1911s.

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    no a setup right 1911 would never do that.......there not head spacin' or firin' out of battery......you have gun trouble!!!!!!!!....is the sear disconecter workin'?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    is there alot of slop in the link pin? possibly a timing issue where the slide is coming back before the pressure is at the safer lower pressures?

boy if that's it.....it's way and i mean way out of time....does it do that with factory ammo?

how about a pic of the barrel with a rd in it.....out of the gun...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    No, it's a 10mm and the ammo was sized correctly. I'm leaning towards a brass issue. I took my Glock 20 stock barrel, my LWD Glock 10mm barrel and the DE 10mm barrel and compared them side by side with a brand new factory round sitting in each and they all headspaced correctly but the DE barrel leaves a bunch more of the web of the brass exposed. I'll get a pic up after dinner.

I think this means no nuclear loads for the Delta Elite. Time for a brass life experiment with this gun.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i see why there not gettin' stuck now......need to see another 10mm barrel with a round in it.....maybe it shouldn't be hang out that much....maybe it got cut wrong at the factory...

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Sure that aint the start of case head separation? I've never had it happen with any of my loads, so I'm just taking a stab in the dark.

Oops I just seen the pics of the loads. Didn't see there were 2 pages.

Top Bottom