• ...and so much more!
  • msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    your 10mm show that much case?....

No all I got is 40's and 45's. I was looking at the first pic of the brass, I didn't notice or see there was other pics or a second page before I posted.

One question I guess that could be asked is in the orig pics of brass is, what's it look like on the inside of those cases?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    that definatly looks like a suspicious amount of brass hanging out of the chamber. definatly into the thinner part of the brass, and just so happens to be about the same size of the ring of the resized fired casings.

contact the manufacturer with these pics and i bet you get a speedy response.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    that definatly looks like a suspicious amount of brass hanging out of the chamber. definatly into the thinner part of the brass, and just so happens to be about the same size of the ring of the resized fired casings.

+1...

JohnE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Was thinking this also after the second set of pictures. It doesn't look like the case is fully supported and the case is expanding because of it due to the pressure.

racr28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    Vincennes, IN
    Saami spec for 10MM is .992" min to 1.004" max. I normally cut my chambers .002" to .005". You can use a calipers or a depth micrometer to measure and see if your chamber is in spec. Measure from the hood to the case mouth ring in the barrel.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Drop a factory 40 S&W round in the chamber of your 1911 barrel and see how that headspaces. There is 0.142" difference in case lengths between 10mm Auto and 40 S&W. That looks pretty close from your pic. But, also, if that is how it headspaces with the 10, I'm shocked that it even goes into battery.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    No all I got is 40's and 45's. I was looking at the first pic of the brass, I didn't notice or see there was other pics or a second page before I posted.

One question I guess that could be asked is in the orig pics of brass is, what's it look like on the inside of those cases?

Was thinking this also after the second set of pictures. It doesn't look like the case is fully supported and the case is expanding because of it due to the pressure.

The inside of the brass shows a corresponding ring, concave instead of convex. I'm going to try some brand new factory brass and load it a few times to see what it does.

I will definitely send the pics to Colt to see what they say about it and I'll take racr28's suggestion of miccing it to see what the chamber cut is.

The rim of the brass is flush with the bolt face. Jack Ryan bought one at the same time I bought mine and I'm going to get hold of him and compare the barrels.

It did not seem to do this at all with brass that had not been reloaded as much, and I am really curious to see what the Starline brass I have does.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and ideas.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I'm kinda wondering if this barrel might not have been a friday at 4:55 kinda thing. seems like you might not have enough chamber. I am curious to see what colt says

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Try some new brass that hasn't been pushed to the limits before.
    8 reloads on 10mm brass seems risky to me.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hard to tell by the angle of the pic, but if the back of the case is sitting flush or just below the hood, it isn't short chambered.

It could be the Delta's just aren't going to be reloader friendly.

Not a good comparison, but I owned one of the original Delta's back in late 80's and had similiar trouble. While I never saw as bad of a bulge as the OP's, I was getting bulged cases in same area just after (1) reloading. Back then not many options were available and I was using PMC brass after the initial firing.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Update: Yesterday evening I carefully reassembled the gun step by step according to the instructions. Yes, I had read the instructions before I shot the gun the first time but since they cover several different models of gun it wasn't terribly clear, and even doing it again step by step it still wasn't clear.

This afternoon I took a piece of once fired Federal brass and proceeded to load and shoot it. I got bored after 40 loadings and no issues. I decided to take one of the suspect batch of Russian brass that had already had 8 loadings and proceeded to reload it until at firing number 20 it still hadn't failed. So then I took ten of the 8 times loaded brass and shot them each one more time with no issues and picked a couple that looked like they might be a bit off and loaded them a couple more times with no issues.

So, I feel reasonably confident it wasn't a brass issue but a gun issue related to improper reassembly affecting the timing.

1911 gurus, what do you think? If the slide stop hadn't recaptured the barrel link when I reassembled might that have cause it to unlock early? The only other thing I can think of is the springs somehow didn't get seated but every scenario I can think of there makes the spring action stiffer not softer.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Listen, something has got to contain the back end of that case. It cannot fire like the picture on the right and NOT have a smiley on it.

When the barrel is in the gun, does the hood of it come back and hit the slide? If there is any gap there at all, it is put together wrong.

I have Glocks too. If I had not known that this was fired in a 1911 platform, I would have sworn it came from one of them and that there was an issue with the firearm.

At any rate, I am glad you seem to have figured out the problem. I had a KB once in a Browning High Power in 40S&W. Not fun, not fun at all!

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    There is something very wrong with the ramp on that barrel. You should never see that much brass exposed when the case is fully chambered, especially on a 10mm. That is much more than a "smiley". The ramp and throating should not go all the way around to the top of the barrel either. I would not fire that until you find out what's happening.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Can't diagnose without all the information.
    Have you used the sizing die before? It may be undersized and you have a "roll" of brass being pushed back to the web.
    What do the cases look like before sizing?
    What does factory ammo cases look like from gun? What does a good case look like after being sized?
    Do you have some .40 cases you could size to see what happens (cheaper to ruin a .40 than a 10mm case)?

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    There is something very wrong with the ramp on that barrel. You should never see that much brass exposed when the case is fully chambered, especially on a 10mm. That is much more than a "smiley". The ramp and throating should not go all the way around to the top of the barrel either. I would not fire that until you find out what's happening.

I've seen brass like that before. The cause that time was extreme ramp and throat work by an amateur.

May or may not be the case with yours but the brass looks very similar.

Top Bottom