• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    Okay, so i was at the Indy trading post today with my shooting buddy Tayor. We were looking through the cases and he got me looking into 1911s. I put the Taurus in one hand and a Sig Saur in the other. I like the price of the Taurus better but the Sig feels soooo much smoother. The price really isnt a huge deal considering im wanting a quality piece. I talked to two other gun stores in the Greenwood area. they both told me that there is a quality difference between the two. So i decided i want a Sig Saur. But then i got to thinking....whats the steps in between the Sig and a much higher name pistol? i was wondering if anyone could tell me what the next few brands up from Sig are? I consider Sig Saur a higher quality brand. If y'all could give me some feed back as too your personal likes and experiences that would be super helpful! Im going to use the gun for mostly target practice and carry. i want a 5in barrel and a tactical rail. The only thing i can stress is that im looking for a midrage price/quality gun. $1000 or less. i would prefer new but if i can get a good deal on a used higher name i wouldnt hesitate to get it. Please and Thank you!

:popcorn:

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    This is probably going to be a typical answer, but there are two things I can think of to tell you. Unfortunately I have no experience with the high end 1911's but there are plenty of people here who can speak to that for you.

1. Under $1000 you can't go wrong with a Springfield. I don't have any experience with Sig 1911's but I assume that would be a good buy if that's what you like.

2. Go with something you can easily afford and have plenty of money left over for ammo. It's much more fun to have something a little less expensive and be able to shoot it and learn to handle your new gun!

Welcome to INGO.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    Thank you! Im not concerned about ammo, i purchase ammo in bulk and i have a spare 1200 rounds laying around. I had not thought about Springfield. I currently have a XDM and I like the gun. Good food for thought.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Read through this link to get an idea of various price points:

Buyer's guide for all you 1911 addicts...

The SIG is a nice 1911. I think you'd be well pleased with it, so long as the "not quite traditional" lines of the SIGS don't turn you off (they make a traditional 1911 as well). I would say that some of the higher end Springfields would be one step up from the SIGs - like the TRP (but not the Pro; that's another level up). You could conceivable get into a used TRP for right around $1000. I would maybe say that I would call the Dan Wesson CBOB one level up from the SIG as well (personal opinion, of course), and the VBOB is a little upmarket from the CBOB . You may find a used CBOB for $900, but the used VBOB will probably be over your $1000 budget. Past that, perseverance may find you a used Les Baer for $1500, and maybe you could luck into a used Wilson CQB at $1800ish. A "one off" custom from someone who isn't sure what they have might be found in about that same range. Sky is the limit after that.

I'm partial to the Wilsons, but I've shot some very nice SIGS and Springfields and Kimbers as well. I really shouldn't have left Kimber off that list above. I've shot some really nice Kimbers that touch $2000 new, but I think you could also get into one at about your price range.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    I would suggest going to Elmore's in Greenwood since you are down that way. They have more 1911's than anyone else I know of.

I personally have seveal brands Kimber, Sig, Colt, STI, Nighthawk and a few others. I personally would go with a Kimber for your price range. If you keep an eye out for a used one you could get a great deal. Probably find a $1500.00 kimber for around $1000.00 if you wait. If not you can get a Kimber custom for around $800.00 new and it is a great gun.

I probably shoot my Kimber custom more than any of the others. It's a great gun, shoot's great and isn't so expensive that you are scared to scratch it or anything. It doesn't have a rail but there are some Kimbers that do. But I would ask what do you really plan on doing with the rail? Once you put a light on you won't be able to holster it with out getting a custom holster if it for a laser I would go with a grip laser. Less bulky and keeps the weight of the gun down and keep the gun balanced.

Welcome to :ingo:

VictorZulu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    How about the Ruger SR1911. I have read good things about them. They are hard to get a hold of right now, but Buds Gun Shop has one on their web site for 749.00 (cash) in stainless steel. Might be worth looking at if you can get to hold one in your hands. I held one in s store, but it was not for sale. It felt real good.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I just went through this same dilemma. I wanted a full size 1911. I wanted to trade my Kimber Pro TLE II. I looked at most all available. I went with the Sig Traditional Reverse Two Tone. I will pick it up next week. If you see a used Dan Wesson - take a good look. I could not find a full size one and I support my LGS. Enjoy the hunt.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    I would suggest going to Elmore's in Greenwood since you are down that way. They have more 1911's than anyone else I know of.

I personally have seveal brands Kimber, Sig, Colt, STI, Nighthawk and a few others. I personally would go with a Kimber for your price range. If you keep an eye out for a used one you could get a great deal. Probably find a $1500.00 kimber for around $1000.00 if you wait. If not you can get a Kimber custom for around $800.00 new and it is a great gun.

I probably shoot my Kimber custom more than any of the others. It's a great gun, shoot's great and isn't so expensive that you are scared to scratch it or anything. It doesn't have a rail but there are some Kimbers that do. But I would ask what do you really plan on doing with the rail? Once you put a light on you won't be able to holster it with out getting a custom holster if it for a laser I would go with a grip laser. Less bulky and keeps the weight of the gun down and keep the gun balanced.

Welcome to :ingo:

Elmores is a store i frequent. I love the help that they give me. They are incredibly patient, I love to go in and pick their brains about anything i consider. I was talking with John in there and he pointed me towards the Sig as well. He said he personally loves his. The whole reason for the rail is so i can mount a light on it, I dont HAVE to have it but I like having the option. Even if i carry one with a rail i can put the light in a pocket until i need it. But im not much of a fan of Kimbers but i will consider the brands of quality.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    How about the Ruger SR1911. I have read good things about them. They are hard to get a hold of right now, but Buds Gun Shop has one on their web site for 749.00 (cash) in stainless steel. Might be worth looking at if you can get to hold one in your hands. I held one in s store, but it was not for sale. It felt real good.

I had not thought of Ruger either. thats another i shall consider! hank you!:D

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    yes. the external is supposed to be more problem free. however watch some slow motion videos of a 1911 chambering a .45, its an athletic feat. internal is a more tried and true system, but you need to learn how to tune and polish an extractor if you go that route.

Top Bottom