• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Here is one of my carry guns. This one is sporting a set of custom made Birdseye Maple grips and Mag Na Porting of the barrel & slide.

Melensdad, what's the think sticking out of the bottom of the grip between the magazine and the frame? I'd think that to be non-conducive to carrying the firearm.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Melensdad, what's the think sticking out of the bottom of the grip between the magazine and the frame? I'd think that to be non-conducive to carrying the firearm.
    That would be a loaded magazine indicator and I would not carry with that poking out. I intentionally included it in the photo to show one of the little innovations that Detonics developed back in the dark ages of hangunning. Its really a dumb thing, at least as designed :lmfao: There are 2 different versions of it, that one is the worst. The other version is a rounded tab. Both do the same thing, they stick out of the bottom of a loaded magazine. They are designed for magazine storage, and show the magazine to be full, when you cycle a round into the chamber the tab retracts and is flush with the bottom of the magazine.

Detonics did a lot of very revolutionary things back in the mid-late 1970's and held a bunch of patents on the 1911 design modifications that really improved the 1911. Many of those things are now standard on custom carry and custom target guns.

Funny, but the sharp tab that pokes out of the bottom of the magazine and cuts into your flesh when you slam a magazine into the gun never caught on I dunno why :dunno:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Near mytical DETONICS MK VII Combat Master

This popped up on Gunbroker the other day, within minutes of the opening of the auction the deal was closed and the gun will soon be shipped to me. There are some very unusual variations of the Detonics Combat Master Pistols, one of the most unusual is the MK VII model. It was supposedly developed at the request of the CIA and supposedly the CIA got several examples for covert use. Whether that is true is open for debate, but one thing is true, the MK VII guns are so unusual and rare that they have achieved an almost mythical status and are rarely seen, even by collectors.

It has been said that this is the model that started the trend toward the modern 'carry melt' package seen on modern guns. These guns are not melted/softened at the corners like the modern 'carry melt' packages but they were designed for pocket carry and draw without snagging.

So to you I present my soon to be MK VII, it is more likely that you will see the Loch Ness Monster, a Unicorn or Sasquach than another one of these. I've been a Detonics fan/admirer/collector for years and I have never held one of these MK VII pistols. These photos are from the auction, I'll provide some nice glamor shots when the gun actually arrives (10 to 14 days?).

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    Here are some quick pics of my three.
    Springfield TRP, Springfield MC Operator and Caspian I built at Cylinder & Slides Pistolsmithing class in 2002.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    not near as nice as some but here's mine

guns011.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    not near as nice as some but here's mine
    Nice is in the eye of the beholder and I've always been impressed with the Rock Island Armory GI models. They are simple guns that seem to be incredibly reliable under all conditions. They should be reliable, they are apparently built to the Army standards for the WWII contract guns. Some people claim the GI models are not particularly accurate, but I believe that is the military spec'd sights to blame, not the gun. The military sights were tiny little things and I believe that is why many of the returning vet's said the guns couldn't hit the side of a barn with their Colts.

Here is another one of mine.

This is an UNFIRED Combat Master in 451 Detonics Magnum, its older than some of the members on this site. I've posted other photos, but you can actually read the slide engravings in this photo.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Here is a 9mm Combat Master, model MC2. There were only about 325 Combat Masters chambered in 9mm. The MC2 model finish is probably the most unusual version because it is so rough and dull that it looks like the gun was tumbled in a bucket of sharp rocks. This gun is also unusual because most of the MC2 models were shipped with wrap around Pachmeyer rubber grips but this has the factory installed Hogue checkered grips.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    One last one for today. This is a MK VI 45acp Detonics Combat Master. What is unusual about this one is it is the only one I've ever seen with a "Commander" style rounded hammer. The holster is a Don Hume "JIT" OWB.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Nice is in the eye of the beholder and I've always been impressed with the Rock Island Armory GI models. They are simple guns that seem to be incredibly reliable under all conditions. They should be reliable, they are apparently built to the Army standards for the WWII contract guns. Some people claim the GI models are not particularly accurate, but I believe that is the military spec'd sights to blame, not the gun. The military sights were tiny little things and I believe that is why many of the returning vet's said the guns couldn't hit the side of a barn with their Colts.
    It's actually a springfield GI spec, and I love the gun. I'm not saying it's not a great gun, but there are some VERY nice 1911's in this thread that I'd love to shoot:):

and the sites do suck, I really can't hit a thing with this gun

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Melen's dad:

To quote the Joker: Where does he get those wonderful toys!

Amazing collection! Ive always had a soft spot for those Oly Arms Safari-masters. Does that little finger groove in the front strap do anything weird when firing? Always wondered that...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Amazing collection! Ive always had a soft spot for those Oly Arms Safari-masters. Does that little finger groove in the front strap do anything weird when firing? Always wondered that...

That is just the tip of the collection! But as to your question I really like the finger groove, but I know some people don't. Its a one size doesn't fit all type of thing. If you hand fits it then it is great and it does help to control the recoil of the 45 and bring the gun back on target faster for subsequent shots. One really nice thing about the Safari Arms pistols is they have target grade bushingless barrels so they are both accurate and durable. 1911 guns with a front bushing tend to shoot themselves loose as early as 5000 rounds (obviously that varies gun to gun) but the guns that use ramped barrels can easily run 20,000 rounds and still hold much tighter groups.

If you deal with the SGW (the in house custom shop for Safari Arms) they will build you a gun with or without the finger grooves, or with our without the finger hook on the trigger guard. SGW is great to work with, but like a premier gun shops they are backlogged. Right now they are running at least a YEAR behind in production.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    D-Ric,

I have the exact same gun and almost the same grips (mine are plain slimline alumagrips). I have thought long and hard about bobtailing mine. How do you like the bobtail and who did it? I will probably have Ray Saltzman do it if I decide to. I flat out LOVE my Champion LW Operator. It has been nothing but excellent and it even made me quit carrying Glocks. Also as you can tell, she is a shooter. It is easily as accurate as my Kimber Series I Gold Match, despite the shorter sight radius and fixed sights. I wish I had saved my single ragged hole 7 shot group from last weekend that I did with it. No stringing, just one odd shaped hole smaller than an 1" in diameter.

melensdad, I love my Alumagrips. I was afraid the finish would scratch easily, but they haven't scratched at all in over a year of carrying it. Mine are the Slimline ones and they make the gun feel great. The grips I would rate as just grippy enough. Enough to hang on to easily, but not so much that they grab clothing or hurt the hand when shooting.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Melen's dad:

To quote the Joker: Where does he get those wonderful toys!

And just where are the pics of your 1911s? :D

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    And just where are the pics of your 1911s? :D
    Camera messed up, will have to post some of my RangeMaster Taurus McCollough custom special!:D BTW, my Glock is now the Glock model 22 Jim Harlan Combat Special when my Heinie sights come in:D (would be exactly as his).

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Got 3 guns today, one of them is this nifty little Detonics Combat Master MK VII.

I LIKE IT!!! Completely sightless, not even a groove to aid with aiming, this gun is clear a point and shoot proposition. This is designed to be a very close combat/confrontation stopping handgun and after handling the gun it seems well suited for that, just stick it in your opponents gut and shoot.

For those of you who have guns with carry melt packages and trimmed down sights you can thank this gun for that treatment, it was considered the first gun designed to be a deep concealment 45 and reportedly was developed at the request of the CIA (although I can't seem to confirm that factually). I've been waiting for this gun to arrive at the dealer because I purchased it based on low resolution photos. Its in near perfect condition with an original Detonics pistol rug and original magazines. It looks to be virtually unused with almost no wear on the rails at all!

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Epsylum I had the SA custom shop do the bobtail and the checkering on the frontstrap. I really like it, it fits my hand much better. And your right...they shoot.
    IMG_0357.jpg

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Epsylum I had the SA custom shop do the bobtail and the checkering on the frontstrap. I really like it, it fits my hand much better. And your right...they shoot.

Just out of curiosity,what does SA charge for the bob tail job (as it isn't listed in the price list)? Labor only, I would supply the Ed Brown MSH. Also, what is the turn around?

Thanks.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Here is my PT1911AR, McCollough Range Combat Special :D
    Toylist:
    Caspian Trik trigger (trigger bow hand polished by yours truely)
    Wilson Valueline hammer (tired of old one locking on me, take THAT Taurus!)
    Cylinder and Slide lightened sear spring
    Chip McCormick High Ride grip safety
    USGI standard thumb safety (like it better, plus I broke the factory one for fun)
    removal of all series 80 parts
    Ed Brown firing pin and spring
    Briley barrel bushing (not installed unless going for the real accuracy, the metallic insert wears out quick, so I dont have it installed often).
    18.5# recoil spring, 18 lb mainspring
    (not installed) .400 Corbon conversion barrel)
    Strategic placing of tape (top of slide for weak hand loading drills and side of grips due to lack of checkering)

Parts I personally tuned and worked on:
    Trigger bow buide (on the frame, polished)
    Factory sear and disconnector (polished all bearing surfaces until I could see color different between my pupil and iris when looking at it)
    Polish feed ramp and barrel hood
    increased bevel in magwell (will eventually get a proper extended mag well)
    Handpolished mainspring components and interior tube

Trigger pull: 3 lbs

Parts I will get before completed:
    Adjustable target sights (if I can find some decent ones with the Heinie cut, damn Taurus)
    Will make personally a new set of grip panels (existing ones do not match, different toned wood)
    Proper magwell (most likely Smith and Alexander).
    Proper Starline brass for .400 Corbon (tired of making it out of .45 brass)
    Ambi-safety (not terribly important, dont need an Ambi-one per sae)
    Matched Briley barrel or Cart 6" barrel (match bushing insert to barrel)

Gotta love the Taurus 1911s. Easy to work on, cheap as sin to make competitive. If you have one, first things to get rid of are the hammer (key safety can come on and off), thumb safety (known to break or not come apart, so it will render the gun useless or make it impossible for proper cleaning) and remove all of that Series 80 gibberish (personally dropped mine on a padded board over 100 times with a primed case in the gun with safety off, no bangs).

Last edited:
    Top Bottom