• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'd love to see it. I've even considered bobtailing one of my little Combat Masters, just to make it even smaller. The but of the gun is the first thing to 'print' under your shirt and cutting back the corner, while it seems like a little thing, can actually make a pretty big difference in concealment.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    My only issue is that if I bobtail, in my mind, it makes it a carry gun more than a "Range Master". :D I have a choice, Bobtail or mag well? Or, using a belt sander and a little blueing ingenuity, a bobtailed magwell! :D

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    This thread is getting sort of stale so I thought I post some more photos. This is another one of my Combat Masters from Detonics. Its a factory nickel plated version. It has a very unusual hammer profile that was only installed on some guns for a short period of time, making it more unusual than just the nickel plating, which is also fairly uncommon.

5-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

3-3.jpg

2-3.jpg

1-7.jpg

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    Here's my Colt Gunsite Pistol. I purchased it used but unfired (with case and all accessories) a couple of months ago. As with all Colt Gunsites, it's a Series 70.
    cgp1.jpg
    cgp3.jpg

With a Raven Concealment holster and mag pouch:
    cgp5.jpg
    cgp2.jpg

71NOVA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    My Rock Island 1911A1 Tactical

I didn't see any Rock Island's here, so I thought I'd share my project. I will post better pictures when I receive it back from my grip maker. I have added a spring buffer, it has the ambi-safety, and some custom work done so far.

71NOVA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    My Rock Island 1911A1 Tactical

Forgot to say thanks to Nikki for the grips.

Last edited:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    This is an old 45 auto 1911 I inherited from my uncle who had it since WW 2. I know he shot for the third naval district in both the 45 and M1 Garand rifle. He reworked it and when I received the gun it had a Bomar extended sight which I removed. The slide is from Remington Rand Inc, Syracuse, NY, and the frame is Essex Arms Corp, Island Pond VT. It is not pretty but boy can it shoot straight. Isn’t that what it’s all about?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Anyone else want to go in and buy a small house in Lake County so that we can live near melensdad and all of his "toys"? haha!

Seriously, melensdad, I ALWAYS love the photographs you post. Whether it be of your myriad pistols or myriad vehicles.

-J-

71NOVA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    My updated photos

This is my Rock Island Armory 1911A1 Tactical with the new grips and I am ordering a custom match ramped barrel now.

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My two...Dan Wesson CBOB .45 with slim alumagrips and an ambi-wilson thumb safety...and a Kimber Heritage Edition (non-Series II) with Meprolight night sights and a duracoated finish.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Glock Lover:

I have mixed feelings about it. Not because there is anything wrong with it. I have an 80s Springfield milspec that I like because it has the feel and heft of the old military pistol. In almost all respects, the Kimber is better, but I just like the old steel better even though I have to keep up on maintaining it more often to keep any rust from forming, which is something I like to do anyway.

The only thing I don't like about the Kimber is that the finish is already chipped on the aluminum frame since I picked it up (one small chip near the base of the grip, nothing much, just upsets me). Other than that, I carry the Kimber because of the size and weight, and with an 8 round Wilson mag with one in the chamber, gives me 9 rounds. I have never had any trouble with the 8 round mag. I may re-adjust the trigger for carrying, it is almost too light and sometimes have accidental follow-up shots at the range. For carrying I prefer a heavier trigger. For the range, the light trigger is great. I have not had any trouble with it and don't think I have had any FTF or FTE with it. I bought this because I know the value and I got it for a great price used, but it probably had no more than 100 rounds through it when I got it. I would recommend it.

P.S. I never thought I would like the Glock but now have a G36 which I carry in a Renegade ankle holster. I have come to appreciate the Glock as very reliable, and an almost indestructible carry pistol, one you can depend on. People may argue about 1911s and plastic pistols, but I think they both have their places. I think the Kimber I have is easier to carry IWB due to the thin profile (and it is just plain good looking). I like the Glock because I can get it moist and dirty and not worry about it.

Last edited:

_JD_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Central Iowa
    My favorite thread...

1944 Ithaca USGI
    IMG_2139large.jpg

Les Baer TR Special
    IMG_2678.jpg