• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Got some pictures of my Grandpa's 1911. It's an absolute beauty.
    Made 1917. USGI Issue. Too bad the original grips aren't with it. I'll probably get some for it.

45507415652_b2f83795f0_c.jpg

45557753731_0d17c6b3d6_c.jpg

45557751161_0361520ac2_c.jpg

45557749641_3f953f38eb_c.jpg

45557745591_0bbbc0c9b5_c.jpg

giphy.gif

bravo, sir

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm watching American Rifleman on the Outdoor channel as I type this (it's a DVR recording). And they're talking about the 1911 CMP program.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Hard to follow up Grandpa's 1911, but the DW ECO got new VZ Dirty Olive ETC grips in the mail today. I couldn't really do the zebra-pattern VZ grips that came stock, they were a bit loud.

lYFXpFX.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

mrzachary

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    It's pretty, do you know who did the work on it?

I do not. I know that as long as my grandpa has had it, the only thing that has been done is preserve it. I'm waiting to hear back when he actually acquired it. I'm guessing he picked it up back in the early 80's but not sure. I'll post when I find out.

I'm no pro, but I've looked the gun over pretty well trying to find clues of a refinish and can't really find any. I've read about the refinish clues on the 1911's with Colt's brushed blue finishes but not their charcoal finish like this one appears to be. If you know of any telling signs, or anything that gives it away in the photos let me know. Thanks.

*Update

He got it back in the early 60's. Confirmed that he didn't do a thing to it and he was under the impression that the previous owner also acquired it in this exact condition.

Last edited:

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    I do not. I know that as long as my grandpa has had it, the only thing that has been done is preserve it. I'm waiting to hear back when he actually acquired it. I'm guessing he picked it up back in the early 80's but not sure. I'll post when I find out.

I'm no pro, but I've looked the gun over pretty well trying to find clues of a refinish and can't really find any. I've read about the refinish clues on the 1911's with Colt's brushed blue finishes but not their charcoal finish like this one appears to be. If you know of any telling signs, or anything that gives it away in the photos let me know. Thanks.

*Update

He got it back in the early 60's. Confirmed that he didn't do a thing to it and he was under the impression that the previous owner also acquired it in this exact condition.
    It's been refinished, but that doesn't take away from the fact it was your granddad's. Some of the clues to it being reworked are, the hammer and slide are incorrect for a 1917, if you look at the rear of the frame around where the hammer pin and thumb safety pin exit the frame, you can see they are dished out from over buffing, the other thing is the finish itself, Colt did not used that finish on any USGI pistols. Here is an original 1917-M1911,
    1917%20C3.jpg

http://www.coolgunsite.com/images/1911/1917 colt/1917 Colt.htm

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    ive first hand never seen an original GI issue 1911, i was under the impression that they were a (more or less) flat charcoal finish, with no attention to "detail".

only thing i can compare an original to is the norinco 1911 i bought in the 90's. it has very "rough" looking finish, with obvious flaws in the sides of the slide. it doesnt detract from the function at all.

:cheers:

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    ive first hand never seen an original GI issue 1911, i was under the impression that they were a (more or less) flat charcoal finish, with no attention to "detail".

only thing i can compare an original to is the norinco 1911 i bought in the 90's. it has very "rough" looking finish, with obvious flaws in the sides of the slide. it doesnt detract from the function at all.

:cheers:
    flat charcoal finish
    Is known as "Parkerizing", Colt did not begin using it until May 1941*.

*Collector's Guide to Colt .45 Service Pistols: Models of 1911 and 1911A1: From 1911 to the End of Production in 1945: Complete Military Identification, Including All Contractors ~ Charles W. Clawson.

mrzachary

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    It's been refinished, but that doesn't take away from the fact it was your granddad's. Some of the clues to it being reworked are, the hammer and slide are incorrect for a 1917, if you look at the rear of the frame around where the hammer pin and thumb safety pin exit the frame, you can see they are dished out from over buffing, the other thing is the finish itself, Colt did not used that finish on any USGI pistols. Here is an original 1917-M1911,
    1917%20C3.jpg

http://www.coolgunsite.com/images/1911/1917 colt/1917 Colt.htm

Awesome. Good eye and thanks for the info. I may need to strip this girl down and try and figure out where everything came from parts wise.

Top Bottom