• ...and so much more!
  • ccrise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    Help…

I am considering on purchasing a 1911. But I am confused on which manufacture to get. I have held several and they all seem to feel the same. I have no preference to one manufacture or another but like everyone else, cost does make a difference. Although if saving money means it will fail to function or fall apart after 2000 rounds then it’s not money saved. I want QUALITY. Please tell me your personal opinion and why you chose it. Also what models would you recommend? Thanks for all you help.

BigJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Broadripple
    For the money I don't think you can go wrong with the new Ruger or the Remington. I think the Ruger looks better and seems to be a little more stout, but thats just me!

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Whats your budget? You can get a quality Rock Island 1911 for $400-$450, its not as pretty as a Kimber but they are nice guns.

Then you have the Taurus, Remington, Springfield GI, etc in the next price level up. Again all fine, Taurus probably has the worst rep of those.

It all goes up from there. You just have to figure out what you are looking for. If you want a truly quality 1911, spend the money and buy an expensive one. If you want one that functions as it should and works every time for a great price get a springfield, rock islnad, remington, etc. They will be fine. I have a Springfield GI and it has been great. The sights kinda stink when using against black targets because there is no contrast in the GI sights. Same will hold true about the remington too through as well as entry level Rock Islands.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Depending on what your budget is, I dont think you can go wrong with a Springfield Armory TRP. They are pretty salty brand new but you can find them for right around 1000 used. They are regarded in most circles as one of the best, if not the best 1911 you can buy without going to the custom world. I had one and it shot like a dream. Great piece.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Springfield Armory TRP

Excellent choice. We are blessed with many fine makers of 1911s in the market today.

It has been my experience that Les Baer makes some of the finest 1911s today. We have many others (Wilson, Springfield TRP, Nighthawk, and all the fine custom guns) to choose from, but, IMHO, in production guns, Les Baer gives the greatest return for the investment.

I use the Les Baer TRS.

Les Baer Custom Inc.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If it were me, (and I'm known to be cheap/frugal, however you want to put it), I'd either look into the RIA's on the lower end of the $ spectrum, because they have a very good rep for the $; or I'd step up just a bit and look into the Ruger. That's mainly because I just can't drop $1000 into a single gun. You really need to do some review and then think about what you are comfortable with from a budget perspective.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    I've got a Springfield Range Officer and I love it. No issues at all so far with about 500 round of various types through it. Springfield from what I hear has the best customer service too.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Quality costs

Springfield TRP or Loaded, Smith & Wesson PD, a good Colt or if you want high end a Dan Wesson or Wilson Combat. You really can't tell quality that much by the feel. The quality is in fit an finish. I have a nice collection started that runs from RIA to DW. The Springfield higher end models are the best way to start if you are getting one for quality and don't want to spend too much.

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    I own a Taurus 1911, and it is a very finely built 1911. If you want a well functioning, inexpensive 1911, I would certainly check them out. Rock Islands are also a good choice, but for that price range, I would check out American Classic. You should also check out an STI Spartan, you can pick one of them up for around $650 or less.

In reference to Armed-N-Ready's post above... I would love to get a Dan Wesson some day, as I love CZ pistols, but I'm not ready to drop that kind of cash yet... :D

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    If you're willing to drive south a bit to Grant County, I'll put a bunch of 1911's in your hands to try, and you can pick for yourself.... which is what you should do anyway.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If you're willing to drive south a bit to Grant County, I'll put a bunch of 1911's in your hands to try, and you can pick for yourself.... which is what you should do anyway.

Except he doesn't have a compact for you to try...or a Rock Island or an ATI - But *I* do. So if you hook up, have Jay give me a shout and see if your plans fall on my day off and I'll bring mine down for you to try, too. :yesway:

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    I have also been looking for a "Carry every day" 1911 so I found this thread very interesting. I note that no one has mentioned the Kimber. Is that because of the cost only or are there other issues?
    I have been drooling of late over a 4" barrel Super Pro Carry or CDP, but am also looking for a suitable alternative that doesn't cost me 1300 bucks...

My basic criteria are: everyday carry (and therefore reasonably concealable)
    Laser Grip Preferred
    4" Barrel
    400-800 bucks
    Love the Kimber... but what is close to this?

ccrise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    OK. I just got back from Midwest and held every 1911 they had. I liked the Kimber Custom CDP II 45. It's a little bit pricey but it felt very good in my hands. What are the pros and cons of this gun? I know some manufactures charge a lot just for the name and I want to know this gun has quality and not just $$$. Please let me know your opinions. Thanks

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    American Classic's are good for the money (very compareable to the Rock Island's)
    I also have a Colt... Love it, but the price on her was a bit salty if you are on a budget. *but there are plenty of lower cost Colt's out there as well*

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I like all my 1911, from DETONICS SCOREMASTER, COLT NATIONAL MATCH & COLT OFFICERS, ODI VIKING, CASPIAN, INTERARMS SILVERCUP, PARA ORDNANCE P-14 LIMITED & P-12 all these 1911 shoot great

Top Bottom