• billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    My 2 Cents Worth..

I have a stock Colt MKIV-Series 80+a Kimber Full Size Custom TLE. They both are LTCH dependable! The Colt=nub front sight=is NOT a target gun. The Kimber shoots all loads also, including my hand-loads, without a hiccup. I usually find myself using the Colt as a carry gun more than the Kimber because it seems to pack in flatter to my body. Again just my :twocents: worth..Bill.:dunno:

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    My preference for a first 1911 would be a used Colt series 70. If you find out that you don't like the 1911 platform you can pretty easily resell your used Colt and get as much as you paid for it.

If you do like the platform then the best thing you can do is send your firearm off to a gunsmith for some tuning.

Most of the suggestions offered are good ones. If it's your one and only 1911 it's good to have a Colt. If it's the first of many, you'll end up getting a Colt anyway.

PointFiveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    I own a Taurus 1911 and have to say for the money it is a great one cant go wrong with it.

A buddy of mine recently picked up a new Taurus 1911. I must say I have never been a huge fan of Taurus, but at the same time I've never been a naysayer. I just knew a person with one and it was trash, but it was old and pretty beat up, hardly the firearm's fault.

After shooting my friend's 1911 I'm going to have to say it's a very nice pistol. 300 rounds out of the box and not a single issue. It feels nice and tight and shoots like a dream. The only thing I saw wrong with it is they have sloppy milling, but for half the price how can you really complain if the gun works that cleanly out of the box?

PointFiveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    OK. I just got back from Midwest and held every 1911 they had. I liked the Kimber Custom CDP II 45. It's a little bit pricey but it felt very good in my hands. What are the pros and cons of this gun? I know some manufactures charge a lot just for the name and I want to know this gun has quality and not just $$$. Please let me know your opinions. Thanks

I was thinking about picking up a Kimber recently. They are beautiful guns but really they charge for their name. I have heard quite a few stories over the past few years that their quality is slacking. If you do pick up a Kimber be ready to put 500 rounds through it before you ever trust it with your life. These guys make a great point about Colt. They might not all be eye-candy like Kimbers, but they are reliable has heck.

I recently shopped Midwest and I'm going to have to say I didn't really like the selection of 1911s, which is odd because normally their selection impresses me. They may have gotten more in but I must ask: What firearms did you try on? A Springfield is an excellent 1911 but when I went in they only had two models which hardly represents their impressive line.

Honestly if reliability is your issue and you're paying more for a more reliable gun a Kimber isn't the best. You can get 1911s for nearly half the price that function just as well, or in many cases, better. If you want a flashy gun with every option you can think of buy a Kimber, they are very cool guns and, after a long break in, very reliable and accurate. But if you just want a reliable firearm I wouldn't put out that kind of cash.

1911 nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2010
    Nothwest In.
    My S&W 1911 was bought brand new in Feb. of 2007 for $675 out the door at Jerry's Gun Shop in Rensselaer. It has close to 10,000 rnds. through it and still cuts the center out at 25 yrds.

broknaxl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Most of todays 1911 style pistols are pretty good. It boils down to what you personally like and how much you want to spend. I'm a Colt addict (just check out the Colt Forum to verify this) But I have a Kimber Pro CDP II - I really like it. It's light and carries well and shoots great. I also have 2 full size Colts a series 70 and a WWI replica. They both shoot like a dream. Check out the Colt Defender and the New Agent - both can be found reasonably priced and make good carry pieces. I just bought a Remington R1 - the one with the different grips, match barrel and bushing. This seems like a very nice piece, unfortunatly I bought it to give away in a raffle at the Sportsman Club I belong to. So I haven't shot ----- Yet!!

Muntz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Do you want a gun that just shoots straight that you will own for years or do you want something that will appreciate in value? A Rock Island is a good value but an older Colt will tend to appreciate in value.

fiveduece

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Im also in the market for a 1911. Ive really been looking at the rock islands but another ive been considering is the Para GI expert. I havent seen anyone mention that one...is it not a good option? assuming one is trying to keep it under $600

hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've never had any problems with my Taurus PT1911 and after the trigger job it perfomed better than my Springfield. The new Ruger SR1911 seem like a decent and fair priced 1911 as well. That might be a future purchase for me.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    I have also been looking for a "Carry every day" 1911 so I found this thread very interesting. I note that no one has mentioned the Kimber. Is that because of the cost only or are there other issues?
    I have been drooling of late over a 4" barrel Super Pro Carry or CDP, but am also looking for a suitable alternative that doesn't cost me 1300 bucks...

My basic criteria are: everyday carry (and therefore reasonably concealable)
    Laser Grip Preferred
    4" Barrel
    400-800 bucks
    Love the Kimber... but what is close to this?

I love my Kimber Raptor Ultra Stainless. Yes, expensive, but lightweight and pretty darn accurate. I think you can get the 4" basic compact for around $800 if you look around.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I have owned: 2 Colt Series 70s, Springfield LW Operator, Para SSP, Kimber Custom II, and a Springfield TRP.

My favorite is my TRP, then my Series 70s, then the LW Operator, then the Kimber and Para are pretty much equal. I really didn't care for them too much.

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    Quality can start as low as 400 as mentioned, but I think it's important to reconcile the plethora of options available on the 1911 with your wants and needs out of the pistol. Will this be a carry gun? Preferences on finish? Size and length? Round count? Ambi? That is the beauty of the 1911 platform.. It can practically be taylored to your every want and need. Of course the more, or finer options you choose typically the price will have a positive correlation, though there are some "bang for yer buck" models like the previously mentioned Rock Island. Joshua

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have a Kimber Custom TLE2 and have had no problems with it at all. I have not had much experience with other 1911's but my Kimber experience has been completely positive. One bonus with the Kimbers is that you usually get most of the bells and whistles already installed by the factory (beaver tail, night sites, stippling, etc.) which was really nice in my book.

Top Bottom