• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doleman1030

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2022
    Central Indiana
    I'm new to guns and a Marine buddy of mine highly recommends I buy a 1911. He seems to stand by the Rock River Arms one, saying "they're every bit as mil-spec, and work as well as a $1500 Kimber or Colt". For right now at least, I just want a night stand gun (though I'd be open to carrying it in the future), but I feel a bit overwhelmed with all the choices out there.

Another question is what's the best caliber?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'm new to guns and a Marine buddy of mine highly recommends I buy a 1911. He seems to stand by the Rock River Arms one, saying "they're every bit as mil-spec, and work as well as a $1500 Kimber or Colt". For right now at least, I just want a night stand gun (though I'd be open to carrying it in the future), but I feel a bit overwhelmed with all the choices out there.

It sounds like your friends a little out of touch, RRA hasn't really made a significant amount of 1911's in years, they are still in the catalog but you rarely see them and MSRP is pushing 2K now. When they first came out they were great guns and great values. The best value right now in a 'mil-spec' type simple 1911 is the SPFD Defender.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Colts are pretty hard to come by right now often priced way high when you do run onto them and you really want someone familiar with a 1911 to look them over before buying as Colt has been know to produce some real turds. We are all waiting to see what they are going to start turning out, now that CZ owns them. There are not very many Kimber fans on here. I have never seen a RRA in real life around here.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have owned a dozen or more Springfield 1911's from the plain janes to upscale models. All of them have been satisfactory, and some, like the range officer models have been surprisingly good shooters.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It was Rock something Armory, this was a few weeks ago. Rock Island jogs my memory a bit so that was probably it. I guess he's had it for awhile.
    There are some people that report they really like these, some feel strongly to the contrary. I think they are made in the Philippines or somewhere over there. In general, I think you get what you pay for.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    OK 1st we need to know your budget limits.
    This ^^^

A new basic parkerized Springfield Mil Spec streets for around $600, add $100 if you want a stainless finish

https://www.springfield-armory.com/...r-legacy-series-1911-mil-spec-45-acp-handgun/

For around $720 you can get a few upgrades and get a blued Garrison, add $100 if you want stainless

A milspec Rock Island $375

However, I would go shoot a couple rentals at a range, maybe even take a lesson or 2 so you are more comfortable with your options. Several questions should think about before plunking down $400 or more for a firearm as the firearm is probably the least expensive part of ownership IMHO

-Do you want an attached light or just want to keep a flashlight next to it?

-manual safety yes or no?

-DA/SA?

-semi-auto or revolver? Revolvers are good nightstand options but most want a higher capacity.

-Caliber? There are many very effective HD calibers: 9, 10, 45, 357. there are pros and cons to each and everyone has their favs and some are more plentiful and less expensive. Shooting is a perishable skill and requires frequent practice and I would not put a firearm in my nightstand until I had a minimum of 500-1000 rounds through it.

-will you want to carry it outside the home? Then size may be a consideration

-where will you secure your weapon? Will it just lie in the drawer? Pistol safe?

Everyone here will have their own opinion on the “best” nightstand weapon. I always hesitate to say to a friend “you should get xyz pistol” as they are not one size fits all.

My first “nightstand weapon” was a 18.5” Mossberg 500 and currently is a CZ 75 SP-01 with a light attached And 19+1 rounds.

Just my :twocents:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I am a 1911 guy having shot one since I was a child.

My recommended 1st weapon wouldn’t be a 1911. You have to “train” on the 1911 platform. I would suggest learning how to shoot well then move to the 1911.

My suggestion is a “police trade in” striker fired in your choice of caliber.
    Tons of good trade in guns cheap you are getting a great duty grade pistol much less than new. .40 S&W is cheap and available plus it’s a effective round.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am a 1911 guy having shot one since I was a child.

My recommended 1st weapon wouldn’t be a 1911. You have to “train” on the 1911 platform. I would suggest learning how to shoot well then move to the 1911.

My suggestion is a “police trade in” striker fired in your choice of caliber.
    Tons of good trade in guns cheap you are getting a great duty grade pistol much less than new. .40 S&W is cheap and available plus it’s a effective round.

Oh Brad. How could you subject a new 1911 guy to a mushy trigger striker fired piece of Tupperware.
    You know I love you man but shame on you. :nono:

:lmfao:

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Ok I will say it too..
    As a 1911 lover owner and collector, I would not recommend a 1911 as your "1st gun"..
    I would say do your own research online youtube forums like this one and then decide what gun YOU Want.
    I'm with Brad on this one.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

I have had good luck with RIA 1911 "mil spec/ gi/ etc" for what you're describing.

As far as caliber, 45acp or 10mm as long as you're using real 10 loads....not that 40 stuff in a 10 casing.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Nothing wrong with a 1911 as a first gun. It was my first in 1976 courtesy of my Uncle. Carried it for many years.

Even a striker fired is ok for a first gun. It's what I've been carrying for a bunch of years now.

No matter what, go try them out before buying ANYTHING. You can waste a whole bunch of money by buying what others THINK you need. You need to find the one that fits your hand and you will be able to shoot.

Bottom line is, do not stake your life on a firearm until you get training. Going to the range and shooting a few times is not the same as getting training. You will end up with a false sense of competence which can get you killed or put in jail. Worse still would be the chance of injury or death to loved ones.

Top Bottom