• wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Was your Uncle named Sam, by chance?
    That's the "Uncle" that supplied me my 1st 1911 (in 45 acp, of course) LOL
    Love the 1911 platform, in both 45acp & 10mm.
    Compared to today's offerings, it Is a bit on the Heavy side.
    Good for nightstand, Not optimal for EDC.
    IMO, just like picking out a car.
    Test Drive & get what you Like!
    Excellent choice for open carry or EDC mine gets carried for 8 plus hours a day in a level 3.

But like you said just like picking out a car. Although I would equate the 1911 to a stage 4 Mustang as long as we are using the car analogy.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    At 8 years old (1953) dad put a Remington Rand .45 ACP in my hands to run a trap line. Rheumatoid arthritis has forced me to carry a .32 Colt Hammerless 1903 but if I knew that I was going to be in a shooting I would reach for my 1911 Colt Rail gun or my 2011 STI Perfect 10. I carried concealed on jobs where you lost the job if management knew you were carrying. You name the brand of gun you will hear good and bad. I think what ever you buy you should get some training on the safe use of the gun. i.e. A guy holds you up takes you $1.99 and is running away, you pull your gun and shot him, is it a justified shooting? Get training to find put so you don't end up with Buba as your bunk mate.

JGIBSON

Liberty Creek Guns LLC.
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 7, 2021
    Abington IN
    There are alot of options out there. Do your research, go check them out at shops ect. I'm a big believer in buy once cry once. You definitely get what you pay for on most 1911s. I've had low end and high end 1911s. They all go bang, but fit and finish, quality, longevity, accuracy, and several other factors come into play. Find what you like and rock on man. If you plan on carry full size 1911s can be carried daily but are cumbersome. Just do your dye diligence and find what you like and can afford.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm not sure just what the "steep learning curve" with a 1911 is all about. I suppose there is a certain amount of learning with any gun which is new to you. One of the many things which I like about the 1911 platform is the elegant simplicity of how it works. JMB's baby just makes sense to me!

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I'm not sure just what the "steep learning curve" with a 1911 is all about. I suppose there is a certain amount of learning with any gun which is new to you. One of the many things which I like about the 1911 platform is the elegant simplicity of how it works. JMB's baby just makes sense to me!

I’ll say this is probably why (and I say this as someone that ran DA revolvers da SA autos and strikers from duty to competition to being a trainer)

1911’s take a little more commitment. From learning to take the thumb safety off every time to learning to control recoil (in the 45 case) to cleaning. You can not treat them like most folks treat a lawnmower. Strikers are more forgiving that way.

However I have witnessed a ton of folks in casual competition (IDPA and USPSA) to folks in my classes to folks in classes of reputable nationally known trainers I have attended talk down 1911’s or Recolvers yet they have issues running their John Wick edition Glock in several drills to the point it’s more than just a bad run…it’s them!

Like everything it boils down to who’s behind the trigger

JMHO

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How many in the class actually gets to a range and spends time behind your EDC of choice. Show of hands. Class is 20 souls. Maybe 4 people raise there hands possibly 5. Then you ask if the expend at least 100 rounds or more when they go.
    Maybe 2 people show hands.

My point, don’t get critical of another’s choices unless you are involved.
    Muscle memory is key in using a 1911. Yes there are steps and such you have to do. Grip safety. It’s critical. Thumb safety again critical. It took a few sessions for this to sink in. But I was 12 years old. Small hands. Once it was ingrained then train with that mind set. And it will be automated to the point you don’t waste thought/time in doing it when your life may well depend on it.
    Are striker guns easier to use. Yes, no argument. Do I trust them safe. No. Being used to a platform with dual external safety’s.
    Do I like them. No as is obvious in my postings but I also respect your decision to carry one. All I ask is don’t be a loud mouth about my choices when you don’t even run yours to proficiency. Be the one in the show of hands group and don’t use any lame excuses. It’s a gun. Not a talisman.
    Take from this what you will.
    Best of this day to all. Remember those who served. Those who gave it all for us.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom