• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tackshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 11, 2014
    Southside
    Have been wanting to get into the 1911 game for some time and of course I would love to spend a butt load of $$ but can't afford to do that at this time. I'm mainly wanting a 4 in model possibly an aluminum frame but with night sights. My question is should I just wait and save up until this winter for a Kimber or Sig or should I jump the gun for a RIA. I've shot one RIA 4in model and it shot better than what I was expecting but it had blade sights and I unaware if there are night sights available for them.
    Any thoughts or suggestions will help.
    Thanks and CARRY ON!!!

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    My opinion, hold out and save for the best you can afford. I will be picking up the 2 springfields I bought on saturday and they are as good as I know them to be, wait for the Range Officer commander length. That will be the best 4.25" for the money. Kimber is on the low end of the totem pole in my opinion, and sig is fantastic, other than the lack of holsters. It may suck waiting, but will be worth it in the end...

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I've been carrying a 4" 1911 Springfield Armory Champion for the better part of the last decade. I'd suggest you keep saving your money up & look for a used Champion, a new Springfield Range Officer, a new S&W or even look at a Ruger. I have shot a nice S&W 1911, but not a Ruger. Smith even has some good options for the 1911 in 9mm, if you're not a "purist" and all... LoL

If you would like to try my Springfield Champion, maybe we can work something out...

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Sigs are really nice, and the Ruger is a great reliable gun. But I really like the Springfield RO its a great piece outta the box.
    Don't care to CC a 1911, I prefer to carry a Glock, I'm to the point where all I really care to shoot is a 1911.

Save a lil more and get a decent 1911. You wont be sorry

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    For what it's worth, I agree with the others that say "save". Decide what you want and get it. Whenever I've "settled" for something in the past, I've usually had regrets. Maybe it's just me but I like the part of shopping, coon-fingering, and the pursuit almost as much as the actual purchase.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It is always cheaper in the long run to buy exactly what you want the first time out than to keep adding parts and gunsmithing to a basic model. For example, if adjustable sights are something you like, get them right from the start, etc. If you add resale into the equation, top line is the cheapest. For example, if you pay $1600 for a Les Baer Premier, it will always be worth top dollar. If you put $1000 of custom work in a $600 pistol, when you trade it, they will not look at it as a $1600 pistol, and you take more loss. I learned the hard way having a brand new stainless steel Springfield upgraded in three phases by top named 1911 gunsmiths. Ended up with $2400 in it. Since it didn't come with a factory pedigree, I lost almost everything I put in it.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have a Sig Traditional Compact and I have been very happy with it.

Commander slide officer frame with night sights from the factory. Great little carry piece.

Save up for what you really want

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I say rock island very underrated in my opinion.

ria%20armcore%2051486%20002.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Save and spend the time looking at your options. I have a Kimber, had a Springfield, have a Sig and S&W... but I have to say I still didn't feel like I had a 1911 until I bought a Colt.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Buy once. Cry once. Let me tell you a little story. Back in the day when I started deer hunting binoculars were the thing to get. First I got the $19.99 Tasco special at the local sell anything store. They were pieces of S*** so I got the $59.99 dollar Bushnells. Those were still nothing but junk so I bought the $199 Stiener military/marine version. Finally I sprung for a $500 pair that were all the rage in hunting and birding circles at the time. They are not the fancy schmancy Swarovskis but some serious outdoorsmen I know said they are actually worth packing on one of their trips to the wilderness where everything you need to live for over a week is carried in a canoe. BTW, those 500 buck binoculars soon became well known so the manufacturer made a few cosmetic changes and started charting $800. Sometimes buying cheap is false economy.

tackshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 11, 2014
    Southside
    Well looks like the vote is in and the crowd says..... save
    I have to say I've been leaning towards this option from the beginning but just wanted to see what the poll was.
    Thanks to all who replied , very helpful

tackshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 11, 2014
    Southside
    I've been carrying a 4" 1911 Springfield Armory Champion for the better part of the last decade. I'd suggest you keep saving your money up & look for a used Champion, a new Springfield Range Officer, a new S&W or even look at a Ruger. I have shot a nice S&W 1911, but not a Ruger. Smith even has some good options for the 1911 in 9mm, if you're not a "purist" and all... LoL

If you would like to try my Springfield Champion, maybe we can work something out...
    when I'm closer to buying and not just looking I would really appreciate the chance to shoot yours, I'm sure we can work something out, I'll write down your name and pm you when I have the "50 post" and I'm on the hunt.
    Thanks!

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I like my Para Ordnance 1911.... All stainless steel and Cocobolo grips with a "Match" barrel for ~$800 or so. Decent price for a very nice pistol.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    You won't go wrong getting a better gun. No one was ever disappointed because they got too nice a gun. That is a good generality, not just for 1911s.

Top Bottom