• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Seriously though, I own a 1911 and several Glocks. I consider the XD relatively on par with Glock and if I recommended a Glock to someone and they bought an XD instead I wouldnt fault them. All are fine platforms.

I LOVE how accurate my 1911 is and how well it shoots. I can drive tacks with it. The low capacity is concerning compared to a 40 or 9 composite gun. I find the composite guns are less expensive and equally reliable, and I personally dont find myself as concerned with the durability of my Glock in extreme situations. Kinda like how you wouldnt give a second thought to taking your work pickup cross country, but your restored muscle car never leaves the garage if there is even a hint of rain for fear of harming the finish; I'd hate to scuff my 1911, but a ding on my Glocks wouldnt stress me out so much. They are ugly but utilitarian. My 1911 is a thing of beauty...

YMMV

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    All steel single stack vs double stack, striker fired polymer. $600 for an XD vs $750+ for a decent 1911. Apples and Oranges.

I would choose the 1911 because it is thinner and easier to carry. Also I have seen multiple instances where people have failed to properly disengage the grip safety on the XD.

But isnt the grip safety the same between XD and 1911?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    But isnt the grip safety the same between XD and 1911?

All of my 1911s have full beavertails and the bump on the grip safety. A good quality 1911 will have a grip safety that will allow the trigger to work even with a less then perfect grip.

Edit: Yes the more traditional 1911s have a smallish grip safety like the XD.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    All of my 1911s have full beavertails and the bump on the grip safety. A good quality 1911 will have a grip safety that will allow the trigger to work even with a less then perfect grip.

Edit: Yes the more traditional 1911s have a smallish grip safety like the XD.

The lower "bump" on the grip safety is a requirement for me in a 1911. Everything else is nice optional plus, but its gotta have the bump. If not, then that's the first upgrade. It makes a world of difference.

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    Which is better and why 1911 or sprignfield XD?

I don't know which is better but I think that I would be able to shoot a 1911 better if needing to use either or both hands such as in an actual combat situation. If capacity were an issue then add a drum or hi-cap magazine.
    Choose the one that you shoot the best and love the most.

Last+Man+Standing+2.jpg

custom41-1.jpg

15rd_1.jpg

Last edited:

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I still consider myself a newbie to the shooting world and I consider this a pretty bizzare question. If the OP is thinking about buying a first gun he needs to do much more research on action types and safeties before he tries to decide on which is better for him between 2 so very different pistols. The very premise of the original question indicates that he has much research to do before narrowing down his choice to a couple of different guns. A question asking which action type is better, or which 1911 is better would show that the OP had done some basic research.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I still consider myself a newbie to the shooting world and I consider this a pretty bizzare question. If the OP is thinking about buying a first gun he needs to do much more research on action types and safeties before he tries to decide on which is better for him between 2 so very different pistols. The very premise of the original question indicates that he has much research to do before narrowing down his choice to a couple of different guns. A question asking which action type is better, or which 1911 is better would show that the OP had done some basic research.

Research is a good thing to do when buying a gun. Hell I did research when I was 16 and couldn't even buy a gun.
    I feel as if he just needs to go to the LGS and handle both, shoot both, etc. He will immediately figure out which one he likes better.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    It would seem to me the XD compact version would be too light for a .45.

My wife recently switched to an XDs 45, honestly, I think it shoots softer than her PF-9. At first glance, one would assume the recoil in such a small package in .45 would be a handful, but in my opinion, a 38 snub is snappier than this one. If someone is looking for a small 45, I would highly recommend checking into the XDs...

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    I have both.

An XD9 subcompact for daily carry (need gun).

An Auto Ordnance 1911A1 (want gun).

There both great!

Jimmy

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    out of the box i would take an xd over a 1911 in most all cases. if i was really in a combat zone where my weapon was exposed to the elements, sand, mud, sweat. rain, salt water. i would go with the xd. not all 1911's are created equal. xd's are all about the same from gun to gun if there the same size. i have several 1911's which i love to shoot. when at the range target shooting a 1911 is hard to beat. dependablity and capacity goes to the xd, those are what matter most to me in a fighting gun. so my pick is the xd.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    out of the box i would take an xd over a 1911 in most all cases. if i was really in a combat zone where my weapon was exposed to the elements, sand, mud, sweat. rain, salt water. i would go with the xd. not all 1911's are created equal. xd's are all about the same from gun to gun if there the same size. i have several 1911's which i love to shoot. when at the range target shooting a 1911 is hard to beat. dependablity and capacity goes to the xd, those are what matter most to me in a fighting gun. so my pick is the xd.

For all we know the op may be looking to buy as an investment, paperweight, or to shoot chipmunks. Once again the original premise of the thread is vague and flawed

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    For all we know the op may be looking to buy as an investment, paperweight, or to shoot chipmunks. Once again the original premise of the thread is vague and flawed

Agreed the thread is vague. But in this case I really can not think of an instance where I would personally not pick a good quality 1911 over an XD. Unless the OP is needing a gun for employment and the carry of a single action auto is prohibited. But if that were the case they would not be asking about the 1911. That said the polymer, striker fired guns are in general a better choice for new gun owners because they tend to work out of the box and are affordable.

To answer the question that somebody will now want to know. Yes I like 1911s, No I am not a fanboy, Yes I own polymer pistols, No I don't own an XD, Yes I shoot the XD well (probably the best of the polymer offering), No I don't really care to buy one because I feel there are better polymer pistols on the market.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    I would ask how you like the Auto Ordinance. I understand it is being made in a different facility these days. Just curious.

I just got it brand new, there made by Kahr now and has the correct frame shape in
    front of the grips.

Its tight, and well made to me, a former Colt owner.

Its a very close replica of a ww2 1911A1.

Only 30 rounds so far but no problems.

Im very happy with it.

Jimmy

Top Bottom