• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    The main problem I had with the Lee Dies was with the Decapper and Sizer Die. I think I broke three Decapper pins in a matter of a few weeks because of Mil primer crimps and just being to weak. I had the carbon dies that are supposed to take little or no lube. It also takes three dies with the Lee setup and only two with RCBS so you get them done quicker with RCBS on a single stage press. I have only been reloading for about 6 months so I am no expert, just my opinion. I have had zero problems with the RCBS and after loading over 5000 rounds and I am still on the original decapper pin. (Knock on wood )

Lee "carbide" rifle dies that require little or no lube? I think I might of found your problem.

usmc6153

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    Greenwood, Indiana
    I think it was just the full sizing die that needed lubricated. I used One Shot and some RCBS lube and still had issues with breaking the pin. The lube just helps the case get resized, not sure it has anything to do with decapping..... :rolleyes:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    My vote is to start out go with single stage. Seems like when setting up dies they need some tweeking for some time then they just settle down run great. Without that experince the progressive press could be up for sale again.

GarandTeed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Can a progressive press be set up and used as a single?

Absolutely, many people with progressive presses like to do certain operations separate from the rest. Some people like to decap and resize their brass, then clean again before trimming or removing primer crimps on military case.

Also, some folks like to use an electric trimmer like the Dillon RT1200 as a separate operation. One advantage is you can still use your case feeder if you have one. The other advantage is you don't need to own a separate single stage press.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Single stage works perfect for personal use. One tip I have fir .223 is say away from Lee Dies. RCBS are 1000% better and do the job quicker...

I have herd other say that. Can I ask why. I have a Lee set and was thinking about changing over.

usmc6153

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    Greenwood, Indiana
    I have herd other say that. Can I ask why. I have a Lee set and was thinking about changing over.

1. Just the ease of use. Adjusting the RCBS were a lot easier in my opinion and the keep the setting with a lock ring and not a rubber washer.

2. You only need two dies instead of three. The second die seats and crimps in one shot.

3. I have never broke the decapping pin on the RCBS and I have broken the Lee three times

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Well, I am going to say this since I haven't read it so far. Are you really going to load 500 rounds at a time? Are you retired? Unemployed?

I also would recommend a single stage for the reasons others here have stated but I would not be interested in spending somewhere around 8-9 hours sitting at a single stage to load that many rounds. I'd rather go to an all night dentist.:D

I like my single stage and have no interest at this point in getting a progressive, but I load 100 at a time tops. I usually charge and seat/crimp 50 and then prime and flare another 50 to have ready for the next night. That takes around 45 minutes including set up and clean up. At that rate, I can have at least 250 rounds for the weekend.

zerocool

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Indy Northside
    Hey everyone, thanks for the great input.

I think after I did some reading and read your comments I have decided just to get a single stage press kit. In reality, I probably won't reload more than 200 at one time and the headache of adjusting and fine tuning the progressive might be more trouble than it is worth for what I need.

I think I will go with a complete kit just so I have what I need including the book and DVD..

I think I will go with Hornaday Lock n Load Classic Press Kit. Midway has it for $319.99 and it has a 500 bullet rebate.

Please let me know what you think about this choice or if anyone knows of a better place to get it.

Thanks again,

Zero

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    The main problem I had with the Lee Dies was with the Decapper and Sizer Die. I think I broke three Decapper pins in a matter of a few weeks because of Mil primer crimps and just being to weak. I had the carbon dies that are supposed to take little or no lube. It also takes three dies with the Lee setup and only two with RCBS so you get them done quicker with RCBS on a single stage press. I have only been reloading for about 6 months so I am no expert, just my opinion. I have had zero problems with the RCBS and after loading over 5000 rounds and I am still on the original decapper pin. (Knock on wood )

if you have busted pins you have the decapper nut to tight it should give if theres trouble......even with carbon dies you HAVE TO USE LUBE.....any bottle neck die needs lube:twocents:

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    1. Just the ease of use. Adjusting the RCBS were a lot easier in my opinion and the keep the setting with a lock ring and not a rubber washer.

2. You only need two dies instead of three. The second die seats and crimps in one shot.

3. I have never broke the decapping pin on the RCBS and I have broken the Lee three times

What is an advantage in some ways can be a disadvantage in other ways.

I'm assuming that Lee uses the rubber washer so that they can allow the sizing die to "float" in the press and be somewhat self aligning to reduce run out. If you read some of the old tips for accuracy, one thing you'll see is that people would leave the sizing die loose in the press for that reason. The down side is that it would not stay in position, and required constant monitoring

Setting up a seating die to do the seat and crimp in one operation is tricky to get right. Splitting the operation makes it easier to get what you want out of each operation. I own several RCBS dies as well as some Lee, but even when I'm seating and crimping with an RCBS set I do my seating and crimping in 2 steps.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Just shot 500 of the .223 I loaded using Lee dies through my AR-15 with nary an issue...

Guess I must have defective Lee .223 dies that work properly... :):

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Hey everyone, thanks for the great input.

I think after I did some reading and read your comments I have decided just to get a single stage press kit. In reality, I probably won't reload more than 200 at one time and the headache of adjusting and fine tuning the progressive might be more trouble than it is worth for what I need.

I think I will go with a complete kit just so I have what I need including the book and DVD..

I think I will go with Hornaday Lock n Load Classic Press Kit. Midway has it for $319.99 and it has a 500 bullet rebate.

Please let me know what you think about this choice or if anyone knows of a better place to get it.

Thanks again,

Zero

I was gonna respond to this one the other day and got interrupted.
    Just wanted to throw out there that my first press was a Dillon 550, and it was really no big deal to get it set up and running. They had pretty decent instructions, and these days there's a Youtube video for everything. I really doubt you would have any problems setting one up.
    Only point being...if you want a progressive, get one.

Having said that...if you want the single stage.....get that one!
    I'm in that minority that doesn't like single stage presses, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good press for you. I'd suggest you take a look at the Lee Classic Turret if you haven't yet, but I won't say you're wrong for getting the Single Stage.

As for the kit you're looking at.
    I think they did a pretty fair job putting it together, but.....
    I would strongly suggest adding a 2nd loading block. I find it MUCH easier to keep track of things if I start one one block, do whatever operation I'm doing, and move the case to the next block.
    Didn't much care for the One shot Spray lube. If you want a spray, I'd go with the Dillon, or the Frankfort Arsenal in a pump. If you want to wipe it on, Lee or Imperial are both good.
    Didn't see calipers on the list. You'll need one.
    Something else you might think about is some ammo boxes. Midway has a bunch of different ones. Cheap enough, and more convenient than a baggie.
    Since you're loading .223, down the road you're gonna need a trimmer, and if you're loading military brass, you're gonna need a way to get rid of the primer crimp. Those can be addressed if/when you need 'em.

The only other thing I would get, would be a 2nd loading manual.
    The Hornady is a pretty good book, but I always like to cross reference loads. I like Speer and Lyman, but really, other than Lee's, they're all pretty good. (Lee has a good how to section, but I really dislike the data).

Whatever you end up with....have fun.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    My $150 +/- Lee Load All was a great first kit. I could pop on the Stereo and crank out 200 rounds of .357 no problem in about an hour. At current prices, that's at least 80-90 bucks of retail cost of ammo per hour before sales tax. Components for 200 rounds assuming you're using brass from rounds you already fired came to under 20 bucks, IIRC. If I didn't have something that paid me in excess of $60-70 an hour after income tax, it made sense to reload. The avoidance of taxes at both ends really increases the value of reloading. That kit paid for itself in three days.

Top Bottom