• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    @308jake: I'm assuming that is the Super 8 in Bedford, correct? Might get a room there myself as I'm not relishing the thought of driving 1.5+ hours back to Indy after a long day on the range :(

Anybody staying overnight (not camping) and going to this event? If so, where?

That's the one. It's nice and very close. If it's not raining though, I'll camp out. I can't let Robby and Slim have all the fun. Probably set up Friday so I can get plenty of that BBQ.

EDIT: All the hotels in Bedford are sold out so camping is it rain or shine.

Last edited:

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    Just got a king room at the Super 8 in Bedford. All the online reservation websites (including super8.com) show the hotel as full. I called the hotel directly and they actually had 4 king rooms still available (3 now since I made my reservation). My guess is that hotel rooms are scarce due to the home IU football game. In any case, if you need a room try calling the hotel directly.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    If weather is a factor I have a 2-bdrm right in town. You're all welcome to crash.

I am fully expecting weather. It's bugs I can do without. They annoy me. :)

I put on the ticket that I would not need a loaner rifle... But I may need a .22 to borrow if anyone has one to lend? I'd rather not shoot .223 for saturday if I can avoid it, but will bring it and enough ammo anyways just in case a loaner isn't avalaible. I have extra mags for a ruger 10/22 & gi slings. All my other 22's are bolt guns or 25 rd mag m&p :(

Also if it rains, I might need a loaner umbrella. Preferably Ol'Huff holding it over me as I shoot so I don't get wet. :p

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I have a rifle you can use, Robby. I have to work Saturday so I usually show up pre-game, tell Huff what he's already doing wrong while eating a few donuts and sipping coffee, and drop off a rifle or two for use if necessary. If you need one I'll bring one with your name on it.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I have a rifle you can use, Robby. I have to work Saturday so I usually show up pre-game, tell Huff what he's already doing wrong while eating a few donuts and sipping coffee, and drop off a rifle or two for use if necessary. If you need one I'll bring one with your name on it.

Awesome Slim! Thanks!

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Just a PSA here but if you've been to one or two of our events before I'd strongly encourage you bring irons to this one

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Yer killing me smalls... I'll give it a whirl (based on what Slim loans me), but I'm not sure I can see the front sight post clearly without glasses anymore. Handgun is completely fuzzy. And I sure can't see downrange with them on (cheapie walmart readers). I keep meaning to make an appt with the eye doctor.

I managed rifleman (221) with irons on my first event... does that count? :D

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Don't fret RobbyMaQ ... I'll be there with a scoped Ruger 10/22 for you to use if the irons start to cause you fits ... we got your back, Jack!

Now, get us more people on the line!

brianheeter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yer killing me smalls... I'll give it a whirl (based on what Slim loans me), but I'm not sure I can see the front sight post clearly without glasses anymore. Handgun is completely fuzzy. And I sure can't see downrange with them on (cheapie walmart readers). I keep meaning to make an appt with the eye doctor.

Try these: https://sspeyewear.com/collections/tactical-eyewear/products/top-focal-assorted-interchangeable-kits

I just got them but they are promising.

brian

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I normally wear 2.0's, but I'm banking on their recommendation of long arms going down one full power and am trying the 1.25's (since 1.5's and 2.0 are out of stock now).
    Thanks!

I haven't looked at Heeter's link but I was going to encourage you to not wear your normal readers but to go down in power. Go to the local store and try different powers, hold a pen in front of you or something to focus on at arms length and pick a pair that allows you to see the pen or whatever "clear enough" plus look past it down the isle and see if you can also see a "target" Pick something out to simulate a target at about 25 yards down the isle. Now neither the pen or the target will be clear, but both can be somewhat fussy and you should be able to distinguish what they are.

That's what has been successful for me, your mileage may vary.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Either way, I will be close... the 1.25's are on order. it will be weird looking through the tops. I always wear my readers low on my nose, and look down to see anything close. But should be more comfortable looking through the top with rifle
    as with anything, it's a learning curve... I'll nail rifleman even without them. Afterall, it's slim's rifle... that's like a guarantee right? or else he has to buy me a steak dinner and beers? I think that's what I heard

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN

Interesting. I'd like to try those at the shoot if you wouldn't mind :-)

I wear contacts and have recently switched to having one lens "distance" optimized and one lens "reading" optimized. My dominant eye gets the "reading" optimized lens. This actually works better than you would think and I've been pretty happy with the arrangement.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Interesting. I'd like to try those at the shoot if you wouldn't mind :-)

I wear contacts and have recently switched to having one lens "distance" optimized and one lens "reading" optimized. My dominant eye gets the "reading" optimized lens. This actually works better than you would think and I've been pretty happy with the arrangement.

I'm also a contact wearer with this sort of monovision set-up. The difference being that my dominate eye is set up for distance. My eye doctor originally had me set up as you are, but after going 1 for 50 at the trap range, he switched things up. No problems since at the trap range ... now when I go 1 for 50, it's not because I can't see the bird. Also no problems when shooting rifles with iron sights ... the front sight post is crystal clear.

The only trouble I have is when I start to get tired. Sometimes my non-dominant eye starts to take over. When that happens, I just squint down and get back to work.

Top Bottom