• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton

Holy crap! These are awesome! Just got mine in today. can't wait to try them out while shooting

ETA: They are awesome. I can actually see handgun sights again! Banging away at steel this weekend was more fun than the recent past.
    All my rifles are scoped, and I didn't have issue seeing clearly with them. I am up to the challenge and so friggin happy I can try shooting irons again!

Last edited:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Congratulations RobbyMaQ on shooting a 49 out of 50! Shooting a Master score. Very Well Done Sir!!!

By the way I was wanting to see those new fangled glasses that you got, so next time we share a range together would you mind if I took a gander at them?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Congratulations RobbyMaQ on shooting a 49 out of 50! Shooting a Master score. Very Well Done Sir!!!

By the way I was wanting to see those new fangled glasses that you got, so next time we share a range together would you mind if I took a gander at them?

Thanks! 48 ain't too shabby either! Kicking myself for not resting on that standing stage and the miss!!!! That was scoped. The perfect 50 still eludes me.
    I'm proud of being able to score a 46 with irons (using those glasses)! And it was Slim's rifle to boot! Although, I had to use my mags (his wouldn't strip out easily) and run my sling (his was all frayed). I'm more picky than he is. Like, I kind of prefer to be standing when given the 'stand' command for stage 2, while he prefers to still be getting his sling in order instead! I'm amazed at how quickly he can adapt on the line!

The glasses: I think I must have showed them off to everyone except you! And yes, I will let you check them out! The front sight is so much easier to see, but I found the target is so much blurrier... not a big deal, until you get to 4th stage, and then the target sorta magnifies/refracts if the tip of the front sight touches the bottom of the target. weird. But they still helped a ton. And handgun, they are especially great to be able to see my front sight again!

I think I had my best scores, and worst moments this weekend all in one! Shooting without having been given the fire command, forgetting to pull a mag while clearing the rifle, and forgetting my chamber flag (which didn't get caught/called out). Shooting my two best scores (irons and scoped). Watching my wife & son progress and get some really great groups, and she even cleared stage 4 on one of her AQT's was pretty awesome. Now I just need to get the young one to stick it out!

I had a great time as usual. Thanks to all the staff for being patient with my being a wildcard, and also putting on a great event. Thanks to Chili for a great venue and hospitality! Couldn't have asked for a better weekend. We enjoyed ourselves a lot, and are feeling it a bit now after a hot shower and a beer (or two).

Wife wants to go back soon... She's afraid she'll forget stuff. I told her it's not quite like handgun, but we'll see if we can't try to get scheduled for another event before it gets too cold. Crossing my fingers, as our calendar is usually pretty packed.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    and forgetting my chamber flag (which didn't get caught/called out). Shooting my two best scores (irons and scoped).

Can somebody get me a 3/8ths ratchet and flathead screwdriver, I'm going to swap out this starter WHILE IM UNDER THE BUS. But seriously folks, who was clearing the line at the time, TJ or Davey? I just want to know so I can set them on fire. Fire is cleansing.

Based on what you saw this weekend, as an outside observer, what makes Bedford special and what makes it not so special?

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    Huff: I'll chime in here and give my quick thoughts (I'm working on an AAR to post up in the Tactics and Training forum, too).

Postives:
    • camaraderie and friendliness of everyone on the range. Everyone is quick with a "Hi! How are you doing" to make anyone new to these events feel at ease. Met some folks in person that I had only known via forum posts, etc.
    • location. This is a great range in the rolling hills between Bedford and Bloomington. Shooting among the bean fields truly makes you feel like a "Hoosier".
    • food provided if you wanted it. I personally appreciated the optional $5/day lunch as it made for one less item on my checklist for the event.
    • optional Sunday morning church service. I'm not an overtly religious guy, nor am I a regular at church; that said, I GREATLY appreciated the 30 minute service before recoil therapy on Sunday. Being able to sit outside with the sun rising over the foggy bean fields was inspiring and thought provoking even if none us can sing.
    • ability to shoot out to 300 yards. This was the first time I had ever shot beyond 100 yards and it proved that if I could hit the reduced scale targets at 25 yards I could hit the full sized versions at actual distance. Great fun slamming steel out to 300 yards :-) And, no, it wasn't me that shot the chains on the 100 and 200 yard targets...
    • having 2 generously sized canopies setup right behind the firing line made it easy to get into shade as needed.
    • plenty of water was provided to keep hydrated.
    • shooting a Garand (although my shoulder is telling me about it today, "PING"!)
    • history presentation. I've heard the history a few times before, but everyone that spoke last weekend did an EXCELLENT job of relating the events of April 19, 1775 and pointing out the HUGE sacrifices the colonists made in fighting for their freedom and right of self-governance.

Negatives (I'm really digging deep for anything here):
    • heat (when do you guys put in the enclosed firing line with A/C for summer and heat for winter?). I think everyone stayed hydrated and got in the shade of the canopies as needed so this wasn't really a serious issue. Adversity builds "character", right?
    • having to rebuild chili's 200 yard target support frame with TJ and Heeter so we could mount the 2'x8' foam target backers that chili had. Some nimrod originally built the 200 yard target support so that it would mount a 4'x8' foam backer just fine but not two stacked 2'x8' foam backers. They also counter-sunk the screws half-way through the 2x4s making it a b*tch to get the screws out and re-position the center horizontal target backer support. You're welcome, chili :-)
    • the astronomical rate that Super 8 charged me for a room. Was there an IU football game going on or something?
    • beans mostly obscuring the 300 yard steel targets (could only see the head of the target silhouette). Depending on how "operator" you are, this could go in the "positive" column; don't think I'm an operationally operating operator yet, though. chilidog needs to go out there and "harvest" some of those beans; I suppose enough rounds sent downrange might do the trick too :-)

Seriously, this was an awesome event and I actually enjoyed rebuilding that 200 yard target frame with TJ and Heeter. Something about doing work with some great guys and cracking jokes that makes it seem like it's not "work".

We had a great cross-section of students at the event from shooters that scored 49 of 50 on the qualifier to several teens/tweens to a young lady that was attending her first rifle shoot (she cleared a Morgan's 13 and REALLY shot well; hopefully, we have "hooked" another one for future events).

I honestly don't see how anyone could attend one of our events and not have a fantastic time, I know I have!

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Can somebody get me a 3/8ths ratchet and flathead screwdriver, I'm going to swap out this starter WHILE IM UNDER THE BUS. But seriously folks, who was clearing the line at the time, TJ or Davey? I just want to know so I can set them on fire. Fire is cleansing.

Based on what you saw this weekend, as an outside observer, what makes Bedford special and what makes it not so special?

Oops. yeah, didn't think that through. Wasn't my intention. I was just disappointed in the mistake I made, and not so much a mistake by any staff. I honestly don't recall who was working the line at the time. I just recall getting to my rifle for prep, and wondering where my flag was. I was given a lot of slack this weekend, and I would certainly give the staff the same treatment. You all worked hard, and in the heat, and this was certainly the smallest mistake I had made throughout the weekend. In the end, Bolt was locked back, no mag, safety on...

I am not sure why I had difficulty. Normally I don't shoot well in the heat, and it didn't seem anywhere near Atterbury 'hot'. I did start to get a small headache at the end of day two, but aside from normal aches & pains, I'm not having any heat related issues today. I think my next event, I'm not going to shoot. I'll just follow instruction and focus on following the rules more betterer.

Onto the good & bad:

Good:
    There are far to many good things to say about the range. The line is clearly defined.
    Flags all down the range to help with wind indicators.
    Chili's hospitality was awesome. Plenty of food and water. Porta potty on hand and close enough to still hear what was going on while using it.
    Camping on sight, firewood & water supplied.
    Canopy & bench rests providing plenty of shade from the sun.
    Shooting downhill makes for great visibility of targets imo.
    Small details that make it feel unique & like home. ie the liberty pole, riflemen list, the bomb, etc...
    In short, there are all the things you find in a public range, with all the down home hospitality that can only be afforded by a private range.
    Even aside from the hospitality, this is one of the best ranges I've been to.

Bad:
    So, I don't care at all, but the wife mentioned how stanky the porta potty was on day one. It's a friggin porta potty... what else would one expect it to smell like? On the flip side, whatever they added to 'the mix' on day two made a huge improvement. Again, I hadn't paid much attention to it, but the wife commented on how it didn't smell at all the 2nd day. wimminz... :rolleyes:

Gravel is a bit rough on the firing line. Perhaps I've grown accustomed to enjoying grass over a shooting mat (no thanks to you guys), but I'm glad I brought the shipping blanket, as I was unaware the line was gravel until we arrived. Honestly not a big deal. Would have been nice to know prior. There's also a good chance it was noted, and I just didn't pay attention. Although I'm sure most shooters bring mats and isn't a concern except to people like me :)

South facing range. If you guys could flip the range so we shoot north that'd be great :D

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Oops. yeah, didn't think that through. Wasn't my intention. I was just disappointed in the mistake I made, and not so much a mistake by any staff. I honestly don't recall who was working the line at the time. I just recall getting to my rifle for prep, and wondering where my flag was. I was given a lot of slack this weekend, and I would certainly give the staff the same treatment. You all worked hard, and in the heat, and this was certainly the smallest mistake I had made throughout the weekend. In the end, Bolt was locked back, no mag, safety on...

I am not sure why I had difficulty. Normally I don't shoot well in the heat, and it didn't seem anywhere near Atterbury 'hot'. I did start to get a small headache at the end of day two, but aside from normal aches & pains, I'm not having any heat related issues today. I think my next event, I'm not going to shoot. I'll just follow instruction and focus on following the rules more betterer.

Onto the good & bad:

Good:
    There are far to many good things to say about the range. The line is clearly defined.
    Flags all down the range to help with wind indicators.
    Chili's hospitality was awesome. Plenty of food and water. Porta potty on hand and close enough to still hear what was going on while using it.
    Camping on sight, firewood & water supplied.
    Canopy & bench rests providing plenty of shade from the sun.
    Shooting downhill makes for great visibility of targets imo.
    Small details that make it feel unique & like home. ie the liberty pole, riflemen list, the bomb, etc...
    In short, there are all the things you find in a public range, with all the down home hospitality that can only be afforded by a private range.
    Even aside from the hospitality, this is one of the best ranges I've been to.

Bad:
    So, I don't care at all, but the wife mentioned how stanky the porta potty was on day one. It's a friggin porta potty... what else would one expect it to smell like? On the flip side, whatever they added to 'the mix' on day two made a huge improvement. Again, I hadn't paid much attention to it, but the wife commented on how it didn't smell at all the 2nd day. wimminz... :rolleyes:

Gravel is a bit rough on the firing line. Perhaps I've grown accustomed to enjoying grass over a shooting mat (no thanks to you guys), but I'm glad I brought the shipping blanket, as I was unaware the line was gravel until we arrived. Honestly not a big deal. Would have been nice to know prior. There's also a good chance it was noted, and I just didn't pay attention. Although I'm sure most shooters bring mats and isn't a concern except to people like me :)

South facing range. If you guys could flip the range so we shoot north that'd be great :D

Fear not, Robbie, I wasn't upset at all. Things get missed. If some trainer were to come on here and say he was perfect every time and that every instructor under him was perfect every time I would call BS.

The plop coffin was a weird case. We have a relationship with the dude that provides it and he leaves it there year round and only charges for pumping it. Chili always calls him a week before the event and he has always pumped it the day before. Chili commented on Friday that the guy hadn't called back yet but we don't know why. Apparently, he got in there sometime Saturday night, though because it was far less gawdawfool on Sunday.

As for the gravel, thats a conscious choice. The water runs through it and doesn't pool, its doesn't get muddy, etc. There is a lot of clay around there and it gets slimy.

Thanks for the the compliments. We appreciate it.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Huff: I'll chime in here and give my quick thoughts (I'm working on an AAR to post up in the Tactics and Training forum, too).

Postives:
    • camaraderie and friendliness of everyone on the range. Everyone is quick with a "Hi! How are you doing" to make anyone new to these events feel at ease. Met some folks in person that I had only known via forum posts, etc.
    • location. This is a great range in the rolling hills between Bedford and Bloomington. Shooting among the bean fields truly makes you feel like a "Hoosier".
    • food provided if you wanted it. I personally appreciated the optional $5/day lunch as it made for one less item on my checklist for the event.
    • optional Sunday morning church service. I'm not an overtly religious guy, nor am I a regular at church; that said, I GREATLY appreciated the 30 minute service before recoil therapy on Sunday. Being able to sit outside with the sun rising over the foggy bean fields was inspiring and thought provoking even if none us can sing.
    • ability to shoot out to 300 yards. This was the first time I had ever shot beyond 100 yards and it proved that if I could hit the reduced scale targets at 25 yards I could hit the full sized versions at actual distance. Great fun slamming steel out to 300 yards :-) And, no, it wasn't me that shot the chains on the 100 and 200 yard targets...
    • having 2 generously sized canopies setup right behind the firing line made it easy to get into shade as needed.
    • plenty of water was provided to keep hydrated.
    • shooting a Garand (although my shoulder is telling me about it today, "PING"!)
    • history presentation. I've heard the history a few times before, but everyone that spoke last weekend did an EXCELLENT job of relating the events of April 19, 1775 and pointing out the HUGE sacrifices the colonists made in fighting for their freedom and right of self-governance.

Negatives (I'm really digging deep for anything here):
    • heat (when do you guys put in the enclosed firing line with A/C for summer and heat for winter?). I think everyone stayed hydrated and got in the shade of the canopies as needed so this wasn't really a serious issue. Adversity builds "character", right?
    • having to rebuild chili's 200 yard target support frame with TJ and Heeter so we could mount the 2'x8' foam target backers that chili had. Some nimrod originally built the 200 yard target support so that it would mount a 4'x8' foam backer just fine but not two stacked 2'x8' foam backers. They also counter-sunk the screws half-way through the 2x4s making it a b*tch to get the screws out and re-position the center horizontal target backer support. You're welcome, chili :-)
    • the astronomical rate that Super 8 charged me for a room. Was there an IU football game going on or something?
    • beans mostly obscuring the 300 yard steel targets (could only see the head of the target silhouette). Depending on how "operator" you are, this could go in the "positive" column; don't think I'm an operationally operating operator yet, though. chilidog needs to go out there and "harvest" some of those beans; I suppose enough rounds sent downrange might do the trick too :-)

Seriously, this was an awesome event and I actually enjoyed rebuilding that 200 yard target frame with TJ and Heeter. Something about doing work with some great guys and cracking jokes that makes it seem like it's not "work".

We had a great cross-section of students at the event from shooters that scored 49 of 50 on the qualifier to several teens/tweens to a young lady that was attending her first rifle shoot (she cleared a Morgan's 13 and REALLY shot well; hopefully, we have "hooked" another one for future events).

I honestly don't see how anyone could attend one of our events and not have a fantastic time, I know I have!

I built that backer, jerkwad, and before you got there it was operation perfectly well!

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I forgot to add a con,
    Slim said he was interested in grabbing a bite to eat sat night but fell asleep on his couch instead. We were left to our own devices. Siri had no signal. Luckily we discovered Smokin' Jim's Barbeque via Chili.
    In the future, all food seekers should converse with Chili instead of Slim. :D

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    I forgot to add a con,
    Slim said he was interested in grabbing a bite to eat sat night but fell asleep on his couch instead. We were left to our own devices. Siri had no signal. Luckily we discovered Smokin' Jim's Barbeque via Chili.
    In the future, all food seekers should converse with Chili instead of Slim. :D

Well, crap! I ate at Smokin' Jim's Saturday night too. Didn't see you guys there. I thought about asking if folks were going to get dinner somewhere but I was kinda thrashed from the long day and really just wanted to get a shower back at the hotel. I didn't fall asleep until AFTER dinner, though.

Did you guys pick up on the two OC'ers at Smokin' Jim's? Mentioned it to the gal at the register when I paid my bill and she said neither was the owner but they did both work there; "safest restaurant in town" according to her. Told her to tell them both to keep up the good work :cool:

I had Sam (if I remember correctly) wait on me and he did an awesome job. I thought the 'Q was passable but nothing special. Had the pulled pork with cheese sandwich (they had a special name for it that I can't recall).

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Well, crap! I ate at Smokin' Jim's Saturday night too. Didn't see you guys there. I thought about asking if folks were going to get dinner somewhere but I was kinda thrashed from the long day and really just wanted to get a shower back at the hotel. I didn't fall asleep until AFTER dinner, though.

Did you guys pick up on the two OC'ers at Smokin' Jim's? Mentioned it to the gal at the register when I paid my bill and she said neither was the owner but they did both work there; "safest restaurant in town" according to her. Told her to tell them both to keep up the good work :cool:

I had Sam (if I remember correctly) wait on me and he did an awesome job. I thought the 'Q was passable but nothing special. Had the pulled pork with cheese sandwich (they had a special name for it that I can't recall).

No biggie. I told my wife from the getgo, we'll just drive into bedford and see what we can find. Turns out, we couldn't have missed that place. Great food BTW. I did see two OC'ers. One I assumed worked there (or owned the joint as he was counting receipts or something). The other I guessed was a customer. Felt good to be in good company. I figured it was the norm, and didn't bother mentioning it to anyone.

Also forgot, another PRO:
    When you pull out of that place? We stopped at the gas station directly across the street to get gatorade and ice.
    I got the credit card notification today. It's titled REVERES FOOD AND FUEL.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    You guys think these are coincidences? They aren't. The dude that owns Reveres is one of ours. If you had OC'd in Smokin Jims you get a discount. The Mac and cheese is the best. The Bedford Contingent is everywhere.

Welcome to America!

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    You guys think these are coincidences? They aren't. The dude that owns Reveres is one of ours. If you had OC'd in Smokin Jims you get a discount. The Mac and cheese is the best. The Bedford Contingent is everywhere.

Welcome to America!

Speaking of "coincidences": after eating at Smokin' Jim's (just like Robby), I went across the street to the Revere's station (just like Robby) to get a bag of ice for my cooler. I'm starting to think Robby is stalking me :):

I'll have to remember the OC discount at Smokin' Jim's for the Revere's Riders Carbine course in December...

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    "Bedford is the best" is something I'd heard for many years before ever making it over this way. Now that I've been out there a few times I throw it out myself. Bedford IS the best. I saw a bunch of improvement at this event. Folks were shooting tiny groups at the end of Sunday. I also saw folks come alive at the history and get fired up for Murica. Mix in some fried chicken and there it is. The best.

Can't wait till next time.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Full set of pictures are here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13203642@N06/albums/72157674565207195

29932199481_d894d2ef48_c.jpg

29982047196_f18b50ff2b_c.jpg