• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Had a thought the other day, but realized it was a pipe dream: Let's go back 2-3 years. Unemployment skyrocketing, .gov wanting to throw billions at anything, snake oil or not. Why not the Civilian Conservation Corps? Get alot of those guys unemployed from the housing crash, people freshly unemployed from production, etc... Maybe offer them a higher cut of unemployment or EXTENDED unemployment (instead of having extention after extension, you get it once, then off to the CCC ). Instead of throwing bad money after bad money, rebuild roads, build parks, improve local infrastructure, build water plants, plant trees, make noise walls for highway adjacent properties, etc... Make that money make America beautiful.

Then I realized that road construction companies were just as crooked as the .gov (having known several of their employees and their stories), the .gov wanted to help out Wall Street instead of Main Street, too big to fail was the thing dujour, and it would have taken forever with current .gov bureaucracy (or created more) and none of the money would have reached intended projects. :( I then also realized that stimmulus money did go to road creation, but to little effect and little amount after bureaucracy set in...

I think the idea of people on unemployment sucks (I have been there). But what gets me mad about the system isn't the perception many have of "bums", but those who keep filing extension after extension, after extension without even getting a small job to bolster their income. No desire to change education levels (pretty much free if on federal assistance) nor a desire to do community service inbetween looking for jobs. One would have figured a surge in volunteerism, but I looked at the numbers: It declined. The small percentage of those abusing the system ruin all of it for everyone, but also it can permeate out...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    As an employer for 25 years I never had 1 employee pay into "it" .

Nope. I don't know why everyone is saying that is their money they are getting back. Employers have to pay it to the State. But that money is long gone anyway. Unemployment at this point is Obama bucks.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Nope. I don't know why everyone is saying that is their money they are getting back. Employers have to pay it to the State. But that money is long gone anyway. Unemployment at this point is Obama bucks.

That is right.
    Except they continue to raise unemployment rates for employers.
    I have fought every unemployment claim I could.
    Otherwise my "experience rating" goes up and I have to pay more in.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    oh, they have them. they just dont make them mandatory like they should. I dont like the govt programs that hand out money or food to begin with, but if they are gonna be here then I wanna make sure they arent abused. I dont have a problem with a person using it to sustain life while they get another job. but the people who refuse to go find work because they know the "check is in the mail" should be beat, and then forced to pay it back..
    I think that's fair... Minus the injury =p Do people have to send copies of the job apps they've filled too or somethin like that? I know in the part of MI where my gf grew up they're anal about that jazz bit I hardly hear anything here.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    all for it, welfar/foodstamps/section 8.
    i never understood how they can have wii, ps3, 60"palsmas, escalades and be in section 8.

I have to take one to get hired, random chance every month, post accident.... for no more then going in a cup, people can get over it.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    i never understood how they can have wii, ps3, 60"palsmas, escalades and be in section 8.

I have to take one to get hired, random chance every month, post accident.... for no more then going in a cup, people can get over it.
    Another argument, in High School we had random drug tests. Random drug tests for a government service. One that is even more protected than charity...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    As an employer for 25 years I never had 1 employee pay into "it" .
    If you didn't have to pay for unemployment insurance how much more do you think you could pay your employers?

We pay X amount every 3 months. We have 3 full time employees, 3 seasonal employees and 2 high school kids that work part time march 15 - sept 15

If there was no unemployment insurance we could Alford to give our 3 full time employees a raise. I view that as an employee paying into it.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

well they even have wii and ps3's in prison too. figure that one out.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    :xmad:
    all i have is the first nintendo.

i still remember the smell of opening my nintendo game system from toys r us as a kid when they first came out. love duck hunt :rockwoot:

played a older friends atari before that :D

_____

but yes it is very frustrating to know that government just seems to help out all these people waste OUR money! whether they are criminals in jail or bums on the streets.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    If you didn't have to pay for unemployment insurance how much more do you think you could pay your employers?

We pay X amount every 3 months. We have 3 full time employees, 3 seasonal employees and 2 high school kids that work part time march 15 - sept 15

If there was no unemployment insurance we could Alford to give our 3 full time employees a raise. I view that as an employee paying into it.

Paying employees more does not equate to a company being profitable or healthy.

The false idea that employees pay into unemployment and worker comp. is prevelant. It is just not factual.

The idea that most employers would give that expense cost back to their employes has not been the case.

It is just another expense. One that grows with more claims.

Our pay scale is high enough to retain the employees now. I would likley put it into more equipment or my own retirement plan.:D

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Paying employees more does not equate to a company being profitable or healthy.

The false idea that employees pay into unemployment and worker comp. is prevelant. It is just not factual.

The idea that most employers would give that expense cost back to their employes has not been the case.

It is just another expense. One that grows with more claims.

Our pay scale is high enough to retain the employees now. I would likley put it into more equipment or my own retirement plan.:D

If the unemployment law was repealed, and suddenly all of your competitors were paying their employees a little more, you might find it necessary to raise your wages as well, to keep from losing your best employees to other companies. That's how the free market works -- except no free market really exists under our current system.

And if unemployment insurance was privatized, it might even become common practice for the employer to set up a group contract with an Unemployment Insurance company, similar to how health insurance is often done now. And again, if your rival companies did that then you may have to do the same to retain your workforce.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    If the unemployment law was repealed, and suddenly all of your competitors were paying their employees a little more, you might find it necessary to raise your wages as well, to keep from losing your best employees to other companies. That's how the free market works -- except no free market really exists under our current system.

And if unemployment insurance was privatized, it might even become common practice for the employer to set up a group contract with an Unemployment Insurance company, similar to how health insurance is often done now. And again, if your rival companies did that then you may have to do the same to retain your workforce.

Higher wages does not equate to good or better employees.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My unemployment rates tripled this year, and insurance is going through the roof (even with zero claims in 10 years). I have talked to several other small business owners and I believe we are at a turning point due to the taxation and regulations constantly being forced upon small business owners, yet we see government workers get yearly raises and benefits/retirement packages we can only dream of. This is while I have seen my income drop by double digit percentages as I get to work way longer hours.
    The IRS is flexing its muscle as well. I recently had an incident involving 2 discrepencies from the 2nd quarter of 2010. The amount involved was app. $2,100 for the two instances. I came back in one afternoon on October 14th at about 3:30 and there was a note on my desk from an IRS agent saying I had 12 hours to contact her. I called her immediately, explained the situation to her (with proof) and sent a check out for app. $2,400 (amount owed, interest and penalties) THE NEXT DAY (the 15th) by certified check. They signed for it on the 19th and cashed it on the 25th, all with verifiable proof. On November 5th, app. 2 weeks AFTER they HAD CASHED THE CHECK, I received a notice that a lien had been placed on my property. When I called to appeal, I was told that I could appeal by sending in the proper forms, EVEN THOUGH I HAD PROOF. I was also told it would stay on my record no matter what. I turned everything over to my accountant, spent a wad of cash, and in the meantime, received a lien release shortly thereafter. This was within 3 months of the incident, not years!
    I worked 2-3 jobs for over 10 years to get where I am. I'm far from rich, but I'm not starving either. I don't want a pat on the back, I definately don't want a bailout and this is not a sympathy rant, but, as a small business owner, (small businesses employ over half of the workforce and create 70% of the new jobs) I wonder at what point does the fight become not worth it anymore and that it's better to "Go Galt"? I've talked to too many others in my shoes that this is a genuine concern.

Sorry for the rant!

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    My unemployment rates tripled this year, and insurance is going through the roof (even with zero claims in 10 years). I have talked to several other small business owners and I believe we are at a turning point due to the taxation and regulations constantly being forced upon small business owners, yet we see government workers get yearly raises and benefits/retirement packages we can only dream of. This is while I have seen my income drop by double digit percentages as I get to work way longer hours.
    The IRS is flexing its muscle as well. I recently had an incident involving 2 discrepencies from the 2nd quarter of 2010. The amount involved was app. $2,100 for the two instances. I came back in one afternoon on October 14th at about 3:30 and there was a note on my desk from an IRS agent saying I had 12 hours to contact her. I called her immediately, explained the situation to her (with proof) and sent a check out for app. $2,400 (amount owed, interest and penalties) THE NEXT DAY (the 15th) by certified check. They signed for it on the 19th and cashed it on the 25th, all with verifiable proof. On November 5th, app. 2 weeks AFTER they HAD CASHED THE CHECK, I received a notice that a lien had been placed on my property. When I called to appeal, I was told that I could appeal by sending in the proper forms, EVEN THOUGH I HAD PROOF. I was also told it would stay on my record no matter what. I turned everything over to my accountant, spent a wad of cash, and in the meantime, received a lien release shortly thereafter. This was within 3 months of the incident, not years!
    I worked 2-3 jobs for over 10 years to get where I am. I'm far from rich, but I'm not starving either. I don't want a pat on the back, I definately don't want a bailout and this is not a sympathy rant, but, as a small business owner, (small businesses employ over half of the workforce and create 70% of the new jobs) I wonder at what point does the fight become not worth it anymore and that it's better to "Go Galt"? I've talked to too many others in my shoes that this is a genuine concern.

Sorry for the rant!

I with ya!

When the Indiana dept. of Revenue filed a warrant for my arrest and a lien on my house, all because they filed a quarterly report on the wrong year, I have been working towards "going Gault" !
    They are out of control and the citizens have no recourse.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    If you work for a private employer you receive money for doing what that person wants you to do. If they want you to take a drug test then you get to choose between taking the test and keeping your job or refusing the test and losing your job.

If you work for the government you receive money for doing what the government tells you to do. If they tell you to take a drug test then you can take it and keep your job or refuse it and leave employement.

Unemployment is no different. If you want to get the paycheck then you have to do what your "boss" tells you to do. If you don't want to take a drug test then don't go on unemployement.

If you don't like being told what to do then work for yourself and do all the drugs you can get away with doing.

Top Bottom