• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I just received a call from My Lady informing me that the truck is struggling to shift. She said that the rpms increase and requires speed before shifting. It is an automatic transmission. The truck has been serviced regularly since we purchased new.

We have put a lot of miles on the truck. I would truly hate to hear that the tranny is "going out". I am going to go and check the fluid level(easiest fix first, right?). I would be surprised if this is the problem... Filter?

Other than the heater/blower wiring, we have had no problems with the truck. Any ideas?

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    When I had that problem once my vehicle needed the bands adjusted. Also, maybe a vacuum hose, had that before, too. I'm guessing bands with the high miles. To nurse it along, tell her to let off the gas whenever she feels it starting to slip. It should go ahead and gently slip into the next gear.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    take it too a GOOD shop and have them do a flush and filter change. it can make a world of difference.

that said, the make and model of the truck would help.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    My fathers 06 3/4 ton silverado had 48000 miles on it when the tranny went out. It was doing exactly what you discribed. He never even pulled loads (like grain wagons) with that truck

Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    if it is struggling to shift and not slipping out of gear or missing the gear it is probably the shift solenoid there are two sets in there one is pretty easy to change it's right at the bottom of the pan the other is higher in the tranny and will need somebody who knows what their doing to get it changed.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    This thread is why I absolutely refuse to pay money for any vehicle with an automatic transmission.

I have vehicles with 200k on the original clutch. Find me an auto truck with that. You won't!

Call me old fashioned all you want. I DO NOT DRIVE AUTOMATICS.

OP: this is typical. Take it to a tranny shop now. It will be cheaper than it would be if you kill it all the way.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    my land rover has 182k miles, on a 4-speed automatic. transmission has only had a drain and refill. as with the transfer case.

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    sounds like low fluid to me. but since it's doing it, would look for fluid leaks (otherwise you're throwing money at it), the trip to a reputable dealer as they would have the most up to date service bulletins.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I just got back from taking a look at it(30 mile drive). I checked the fluid level and it appeared to be within range. I then took it for a spin. At 20mph when it should shift into 3rd, it feels like it breaks free and spins as if in neutral and is possible to rev the motor. I immediately drove back to her parking lot and parked it.

She called me on my way home and I told her we should not drive it(how often do mechanical things fix themselves? and do not want to make the situation worse...). I plan on stopping by the dealership on the way home and see if they can fix it(will have it towed from the parking lot) or steer us in a good direction.

Ho, ho, ho, tis the season...

BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I know this may sound like snake oil, but it's worth a try. It's cheaper than a new tranny. I have used this product on my 1991 Ford Explorer and I had it for 215000 miles before I sold it and it's still going. It can be used in the engine and transmission. It's called AutoRx. You can read about it at bobistheoilguy.com, its a forum about engine oils and additives.

Transmission Cleaning Instructions with Auto-Rx Engine Cleaner

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    This thread is why I absolutely refuse to pay money for any vehicle with an automatic transmission.

I have vehicles with 200k on the original clutch. Find me an auto truck with that. You won't!

OP: this is typical. Take it to a tranny shop now. It will be cheaper than it would be if you kill it all the way.
    I beg to differ... My dad's '96 Chevy had 250k on it before it needed any work done to the tranny and the problem was only a sticky solenoid. It now has 325k on it and still going strong... the clutch packs were never touched.

My brother's last '06 Dodge was pushing 200k before it got wrecked and it had a fantastic transmission...

My '98 GMC 2500 was a phone company truck for it's first several years. It now has 321,000 on it and the tranny has NEVER been touched except to slide it back far enough to put a new flex-plate on the engine. The cover-plate for the rear-end rusted out, and the truck is in pretty rough shape, but the tranny is still kicking right along...

If you want to extend this to cars, I know many GM vehicles that have gone over 300k on original tranny with only a normal service. My 2000 Buick has almost 200k on it, of which I put 128k of that on it. Normal tranny service does wonders to add to the life of a transmission. Albeit, most problems can be traced to faulty/broken/defective parts.

I'll give you that manual transmission are simple, mechanical devices and typically last a long time. But they aren't bullet-proof. As a matter of fact, I can think of one such case where manuals (the clutch specifically) always die very fast. Commercial snow plowing... My dad and brothers have put tens of thousands of miles on their trucks driving back and forth across parking lots pushing snow. The one and only manual truck they ever has was #1 a PITA to operate the plow, shift lever, clutch and accelator pedal all at once, and #2 didn't last very long at all before it needed new clutch. The autos just keep on chugging along...

Just because autos have more problems, does not mean they are useless or that they don't EVER make it over 200k miles as you implied.:twocents:

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

I have a DODGE Caravan with 285,000 miles on it. I drove it "professionally", for Now courier, and put 100,000 miles a year on it for 2 years... It went to the Dealer, for EVERYTHING, up to 100,000 miles. and then I started to change the oil myself... took it to the Dealer, for 30,000, 50,000 and 100,000 mile maintenance. Still do. NO TRANNY WORK, AT ALL.....

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    And the final verdict is.... Metal shavings in the pan, the tranny is trashed. Went with a new one(as opposed to a rebuilt tranny) which comes with the 100k warranty. They had it 3 days. She is driving like she is new...

Cudos to Fuson...

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    take it too a GOOD shop and have them do a flush and filter change. it can make a world of difference.

that said, the make and model of the truck would help.

Depending on the mileage that may actually make it worse. If it's never been changed before or has not been changed regularly, it could bring problems to the surface.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Depending on the mileage that may actually make it worse. If it's never been changed before or has not been changed regularly, it could bring problems to the surface.

He's right. The only time you should ever change the fluid on an automatic tranny is if you use it for towing duty alot. New fluid will attack hardened seals within the tranny and if you replace much more than what is in the pan after you drop it then the seals will start leaking. Depending on which seal is leaking internally will determine what tranny fault you have. Usually ends up in smoked clutches and fragged tranny.

Your truck will have a 4L60E (newer model of TH700r4) if you have a 4.8l,5.3l and a 4l80E (newer version of TH400r with o/d) if you have a 6.0l.

The 4l60e/4l80e only has one band and it is NOT adjustable. It is called the 2-4 band. It engages only when shifting into 2nd and 4th(OD).

YOU TOOK IT TO A DEALERSHIP? You could have gotten a complete rebuild with new torque converter and design flaws upgraded for around $1500-1800. These trannys typically last around 125K unless you use it for towing or snowplowing then it could be substantially less. TRANNY COOLER is your friend!

A slipping in any gear is not good. During the slipping the clutch packs and the fluid is getting burnt. Ive never seen a shift solenoid cause a slipping gear. They usually either work or they dont. When they dont, then you dont get whatever gear the bad solenoid controls.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

This is a myth.

correlation does not equal causation.

A fluid flush / fill won't cause any other issues to suddenly crop up or to suddenly get worse.

The real issue is that folks start to notice the beginnings of a problem - then get a flush/fill to see if that won't cure the ailment - and THEN the problem gets worse...because a flush/fill doesn't cure anything.

I promise. It's been studied.

Transmission Flush Myths- Busted! - DSM Forums

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    And the final verdict is.... Metal shavings in the pan, the tranny is trashed. Went with a new one(as opposed to a rebuilt tranny) which comes with the 100k warranty. They had it 3 days. She is driving like she is new...

Cudos to Fuson...

At least shes back in action!!! Tranny problems suck. I've had my fair share...

Top Bottom