• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I don't know if its the cool weather we've been having lately or what but this year I seem to be counting the days until October 1st. For years its been more or less a tradition to spend the last few days before season starts running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to get everything ready. Not this year, bow is ready to go, camo has been washed, stands hung, trails cleared, ect. I even went as far as to check the zero on all of the guns my family uses during firearm season.

Last week alone, I went squirrel hunting twice and ended up just sitting and watching for deer. This week I need to get the kids some trigger time in and check the trail cams.

Anyone else feeling the itch earlier than normal? I've about done all I can do, so now my wife is going to get real sick of me watching the outdoor and pursuit channels from now until season starts!

cowgirl.sdm

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Johnson County
    I have the itch more than usually, but for different reasons. I came out of a divorse where my ex was very negitive to me doing stuff that I enjoyed like deer hunting. This year I am getting back into it. Already have my licence. Just need some more :spend: so I can get all the stuff I want to use while hunting.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I just wish I knew more about what I'm doing.
    This will be my first year. I'm too old to be starting out, and feel stupid asking questions. :):
    But, I have two stands up in my woods, been setting feed and salt blocks (they'll be gone next week) and trail cams.
    I'll have the bow out and praticing again today. Hopefully, I will get a shot at some freezer meat this year.

As for that Itch; Gold Bond Medicated Powder should do the trick:laugh:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Still pretty new to deer hunting, but this year is the most active for it I've been yet.

Licenses for the kids and me all purchased, registered for the gun hunts on Crane. Have a couple of trail cams out for the first time. Have at least learned the deer aren't using a couple of trails I thought they were and now know where they are.

Went to do some squirrel hunting the other day, but they weren't moving around at all, so we decided to sit back and watch the deer come in to the field at dusk. Figured out where the ground blind will go for the boys during the youth hunt.

Still need to sort out and wash all the camo and make sure the 870 is zero'd in. I do need to shoot the bow in the evenings a little more.

Short list of goals this year:

Get first buck
    Get first archery deer
    Get one of the kids their first deer

accomplish any of the above and put meat in the freezer, I'm a happy man.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I have the itch more than usually, but for different reasons. I came out of a divorse where my ex was very negitive to me doing stuff that I enjoyed like deer hunting. This year I am getting back into it. Already have my licence. Just need some more :spend: so I can get all the stuff I want to use while hunting.

Thats the nice part about hunting, you can make it as expensive or cheap as you want it to be. I've got an uncle whos camo consists of an old pair of carhart coveralls, and his weapon of choice being an old single shot shotgun. He gets one as often as anyone. Good luck this year!

I just wish I knew more about what I'm doing.
    This will be my first year. I'm too old to be starting out, and feel stupid asking questions. :):
    But, I have two stands up in my woods, been setting feed and salt blocks (they'll be gone next week) and trail cams.
    I'll have the bow out and praticing again today. Hopefully, I will get a shot at some freezer meat this year.

As for that Itch; Gold Bond Medicated Powder should do the trick:laugh:

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask imho. Feel free to pm me with any question you may have, i'm not saying i know it all but i've got over 20 years of hunting under my belt. Good luck with the bow, any deer taken with archery equipment is a trophy in my book.

And your right! Now i just have a cool tingling sensation! ;)

Still pretty new to deer hunting, but this year is the most active for it I've been yet.

Licenses for the kids and me all purchased, registered for the gun hunts on Crane. Have a couple of trail cams out for the first time. Have at least learned the deer aren't using a couple of trails I thought they were and now know where they are.

Went to do some squirrel hunting the other day, but they weren't moving around at all, so we decided to sit back and watch the deer come in to the field at dusk. Figured out where the ground blind will go for the boys during the youth hunt.

Still need to sort out and wash all the camo and make sure the 870 is zero'd in. I do need to shoot the bow in the evenings a little more.

Short list of goals this year:

Get first buck
    Get first archery deer
    Get one of the kids their first deer

accomplish any of the above and put meat in the freezer, I'm a happy man.

Hope you fill all of your goals this season, and great job taking the kids out! I'm taking my 15y/o stepdaughter out for he first time on the youth hunt. Her brother has four or five deer under his belt at 17. There is nothing like watching a first time hunter harvest their first deer, it's something you just can't explain. Be safe this year!

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Looking forward to it. Got feeders, trail cams out. Waiting on a check so I can get a couple ladderstands, hoping this week. I've had the bow out practicing. Will be getting the 44 to the range later this week, not worried about it being on. It always is. Got drawn out for Brown County SP early gun hunt, still waiting to hear about Deer Creek draw. Might go squirel hunting later this month.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    Stschil, If you have any questions or need any help feel free to PM me. I hunt almost everyday of every season and have for almost twenty years so please feel free to contact me. I am located in Daleville by Muncie so if you want to get out let me know. I like helping people get there first deer or second or third for that matter.

Also everyone good luck this year. I havent really stopped hunting since last year but it will be really nice to be able to shoot agian. In the off season its really pretty boring watching deer and not being able to finish the hunt with a shot.

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    I'm too old to be starting too, but I am anyway. Last year was my first out and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I got a slug gun this year and just mounted the scope today. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will get it sighted in.

This year I think I might try some public land. How do you claim a spot without being next to four other hunters?

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I'm too old to be starting too, but I am anyway. Last year was my first out and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I got a slug gun this year and just mounted the scope today. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will get it sighted in.

This year I think I might try some public land. How do you claim a spot without being next to four other hunters?
    When you think you have a good spot and you think you are in the middle of no where KEEP GOING!!!!!!:D

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Got my draw dates confirmed, and bow out practicing... can't wait.

Don't forget about RNM Butchering service and tutorials.....3 yrs straight... knock one down, bring it out and lets cut it up together. Learn how to butcher in my shop with tools, and take the meat home with you ;)

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    I think I have been ready since May or so since I got up to legal weight with my bow! This will be my first bow season, I got my first doe last gun season. This is also the first time the kids will be aiming a weapon and trying for their first deer........I am so happy the youth season allows either sex. I am much more excited about this deer season than Birthdays or Christmas, I love being out in the woods!!!
    As to cost, I agree that it doesn't have to cost alot. My money is invested in a decent bow and arrows. I was disappointed my old coveralls fell apart last winter, but I found clearance coveralls in Feb. I won't hesitate to go out in jeans either. Try to stay downwind and know your local area. Cannot wait to see pics of everyone's deer! Happy Hunting!

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    glad to see so many of us starting later in life. I never really cared about much as a kid, as fishing was my thing, but after turning 40 I just got the itch.

I've always watched hunting/fishing shows on TV and figured why not? Got my first doe 2 years ago and didn't get to hunt much last year.

Really looking forward to this season!

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    No laws on cameras. Personal preference. I like to leave them in until after christmas to see what is still coming around and how they are moving. I just change the cards out each time just before I leave to go home

KEHO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Noblesville
    I'm with you guys. The bow is getting a work out and even the ML has sent some lead down range already. I have 15 days scheduled in the deer woods so far. I'm ready for 10/1/11!!

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    Man this thread is making the itch worse. I am heading out to the woods this weekend to sit and watch. If I get any good pictures I will post them. By the way 17 days and three hours till open season.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom