• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Maybe ill go deer hunting with the mosin this season (I live in Texas I can use anything basicly.) It would be my first time any pointers to a newbi. Should I use, Semi jacketed softpoints,FMJS steel core ap, or FMJ lead core. Also what is the range I sould shoot from? (For practice.) Or are any of these types of rounds illegal?

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Maybe ill go deer hunting with the mosin this season (I live in Texas I can use anything basicly.) It would be my first time any pointers to a newbi. Should I use, Semi jacketed softpoints,FMJS steel core ap, or FMJ lead core. Also what is the range I sould shoot from? (For practice.) Or are any of these types of rounds illegal?

Check local listings. Look up Texas hunting regulations from the states website or a local outdoors shop.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield

There is a huge following right now for the soft nose, but for the most part any "hunting round" should do you fine. I would worry more about knowing your drop at a reasonable interval rate from 50ish to whatever max distance you feel comfortable with. Deer are fairly easy animal to kill and any bullet will really do the job, just some better than others (history has proven this to us).

Most people use 100yrds as their "zero" for I guess ease of math and convenience. You shoot whatever distance is most probable to where you are going to hunt.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    There is a huge following right now for the soft nose, but for the most part any "hunting round" should do you fine. I would worry more about knowing your drop at a reasonable interval rate from 50ish to whatever max distance you feel comfortable with. Deer are fairly easy animal to kill and any bullet will really do the job, just some better than others (history has proven this to us).

Most people use 100yrds as their "zero" for I guess ease of math and convenience. You shoot whatever distance is most probable to where you are going to hunt.
    Ill go with privi softpoint leadcore. I have my mosin zeroed on paper at 25,50,75 yds already. I have a 2 inch group at 75yds with calm condtions I think I can pull off a kill shot to the center mass.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Ill go with privi softpoint leadcore. I have my mosin zeroed on paper at 25,50,75 yds already. I have a 2 inch group at 75yds with calm condtions I think I can pull off a kill shot to the center mass.

Thats a good start. My first deer in Texas was just under 250yrds on a ranch. You might want to spend some time behind that stock and get out a little further. Most folks aren't happy with 4"-6" at 200yrd, but if you can hit a paper plate 9 out of 10 times, thats a dead deer 9 out of 10 times.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I saw two doe on my little 3 acres of woods while I was walking to check on my trail cams. I got so excited that I forgot to go back and get my cards. :): I guess I'll have to wait until morning to see if I got any pics.

Maybe this newbie will get lucky this year. I'm hoping so :D

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Just got done putting some luminocks on my arrows, then went out and flung about 100 arrows. The groups are getting smaller, but I'd still like to shrink them a bit. May go out a day or two this week just to scout.

Last week I did notice a bumper crop of acorns in our woods, two scrapes and some pretty beat down trails headed towards the field.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    got a little low light practice in last night:

Almost 30 yards off the back porch, inch group. Still learning, but getting there.

320664_10150321616038528_681323527_8152155_902150995_n.jpg

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Didn't shoot as much as I'd have liked to this week, but still managed to fling some arrows for about a half an hour Sunday. A buddy called me this morning and mentioned going to shoot some 3D targets at shades state park this Wednesday so I may go check it out.

I did get out to do some shooting with my step daughter this week. This will be her first year hunting and I don't know who's more excited. I let her choose what gun she wanted to use, and she picked the 77/44 topped with a nikon monarch 2-8x32 bdc. Grouping wasn't bad for someone who's never shot anything but rimfires. She managed 4-5" 5 shot groups at 60yds off of a monopod, but we are planning to sit in the woods, so shots will likely be under 50yds.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Didn't shoot as much as I'd have liked to this week, but still managed to fling some arrows for about a half an hour Sunday. A buddy called me this morning and mentioned going to shoot some 3D targets at shades state park this Wednesday so I may go check it out.

I did get out to do some shooting with my step daughter this week. This will be her first year hunting and I don't know who's more excited. I let her choose what gun she wanted to use, and she picked the 77/44 topped with a nikon monarch 2-8x32 bdc. Grouping wasn't bad for someone who's never shot anything but rimfires. She managed 4-5" 5 shot groups at 60yds off of a monopod, but we are planning to sit in the woods, so shots will likely be under 50yds.

:yesway: To getting your kid out!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Practice at 30,40,50 and 60 last night.

I'm not going to shoot anything that far out, but I figured I'd practice anyway.

Youth season is this weekend, so I will probably drop the pop up blind in on Thursday and have everything ready to go for Saturday morning.

Will take the boys out tomorrow evening and have them pop off a few with Nikon topped 870 so they are comfortable with it.

Can't wait!

Top Bottom