• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    wow, crazy evening hunt with my youngest!

We headed out at 6:00 because he had a football game and we were all soaked in the the rain. When I noticed it was clearing up, made a lost second call to head to the farm.

I'd been seeing the deer move in to the field around 7:45 the last few times we've been over there, so we figured we'd give it a shot. Got the blind up and ready by 7:00 and were ready.

We kicked back and I made sure he was in a good position and told him where to watch.

Around 7:40, I see a body moving through the brush and tell him to get ready. Now keep in mind, I have NEVER seen a buck while I've been hunting. Seen them while scouting or after legal light, but never while on a hunt.

Nice 8 steps out, I see him, but can't get my son to see him. He made the mistake of trying to find the deer in the scope instead of looking at the deer and bring the scope up. Deer walks off and steps in to the woods, lesson learned. I tell him to breath, he got a little excited :D

We talk about it a little bit and I tell him we've always seen 2 or 3 here, so we'll just wait.

Ten minutes later, 3 more deer step out in the same spot, I see a rack, but tell him they are all does and to aim at the biggest one. He does... then sees the rack and I hear his breating start to go crazy.... buck fever.

Heh, I think he might have had a little anxiety there... I asked if he had the crosshairs in the right spot and he replies yes while gasping for air. I whisper for him to settle down and he says "I can't do it... I can't hold still... I can't do it".

Buck moves in to the beans where we can only see his head, so I tell him to find a doe. Poor kid, he just couldn't pull it together. He's twelve and blasted his share of squirrels in the past, but the rack got him.

He beat himself up all the way home, but I told him I was glad to share that with him. Then I kidded him a little, reminding him he could have had a buck before his old man.

I LOVE this stuff!!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    hope the weather cooperates tomorrow.

If not, I know where I will be next Saturday evening with the Hoyt in hand. Was eyeballing some trees for the stand. :D

JamesZX1100

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    NE INDY
    Awesome videos! & also... HICKMAN, Im sure he will bag that buck next time!! Maybe even before "his old man!!". Good luck to everyone this season!

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Well, my daughter took her first deer this morning! "She" turned out to be a he, but it didn't matter much to either of us. Now she's ready to go out and beat her brother this fall.

Button buck, 30 yards, perfect shot.....deer went 10 yards. Steaks should be like butter!

picture.php
    [/IMG]

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Thanks, I couldn't be any happier with how she handled it all. I pretty much had figured the first deer that offered her a shot was going down! We saw some nice does yesterday morning, but none that offered shots within her comfort range.

She shot this one around 7:30 this morning, so she didn't waste much time!

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, yesterday morning we headed to the blind in the rain. My son could hardly sleep the night before! We were in a woods with thick canopy, so we sat for quite along time before he could see well enough to shoot. I was just starting to question whether we were going to see anything (9:00) when I caught sight of a doe with a fawn coming in from our right. They took a while coming in because the doe was wary of the ground blind, but the fawn walked right past us at 15 yds. while the doe hung up at about 35 yds. She was angling hard towards us eyeballing the blind, but he had the rifle up and waiting for her to turn. I had to keep reminding him to take a deep breath and relax because he was visibly shaking by this point. FINALLY, she turn and offered a broadside shot for him. He took one last deep breath and slowly let it out, then squeezed it off. She took off, and when she turned hard and I saw her stumble I knew he hit her. They ran off into the brush. He looked at me, shivering, and said that he thought he hit her well and that he was COLD! I told him that happens. We got out he found the blood trail and followed it 30 yds to his first deer! He couldn't have hit her any better, the practice paid off. I couldn't be any prouder!:D

ellisdeer002.jpg

Last edited:

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    My 10 year old daughter, Sydney, shot a nice doe yesterday evening with her 44 mag. Made about a 25 yard quartering away shot. The doe piled up after about 50 yards.

Sydney2011Doe02.jpg

JamesZX1100

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    NE INDY
    buddies boy killed a giant sat evening,been patterning him all summer and went after him last night and connected.. he green scores in the 180`s!!

It would be awesome if you could get some pics for us!! I would love to see what that monster looks like!! Thanks!!

&
    Congrats to your daughter DEC!!! I watched the video you posted from last year and it was a very good footage!! Thanks again for sharing!

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Congrats to your daughter DEC!!! I watched the video you posted from last year and it was a very good footage!! Thanks again for sharing!

Thanks for the complement.

No video of this kill though. Had the camera there, had it on, had the doe centered in the camera frame all the way up through the gun shot. It was a thing of BEAUTY ... EXCEPT ... the dumb azz videographer (me) forgot to push the RECORD button ... LOL. :n00b: I just spaced. I helped Syd get the gun on her rest and then got the deer in the frame and honestly just sat back and watched it all play out. I just told Syd to aim carefully and completely let her call her own shot, which she did perfectly. I sat back and watched the doe to be sure of where the shot placement was. When I spun the camera around to us for some post shot smiles, Syd goes "Dad, the camera is not recording". I was kind of pissed at myself, but what can you do ... we just ended up laughing it off. We had a great time as always.:)

Top Bottom