• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    I had a brief conversation with State Representive Dave Yarde this evening. We discussed the walk out and he simply called it Anarchy. The good news is he said they are working on changing the State Constitution so this never happens again!

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    SB 506, the transport firearm bill that will allow citizens to transport a handgun without a license to designated destinations that I presented, is now going to be heard this Friday, April 1st at 10:00 AM. I've been asked to stay in Indy to help the House sponsor present it. Looks like Margie and I will have a short weekend at home this week.
    SB 292 the preemption bill is scheduled for Wednesday, April 6th. Both of these bills are in the committee listed below.

House Public Policy
    Committee Members:

• Chair:Representative Davis
      Vice Chair: Representative Culver
      Members: Eberhart, Knollman, Lehman, Lutz, Messmer, Wesco. GiaQuinta R.M.M., Austin, L. Lawson, Pelath, Summers.

• SB 292 has become a major bill and has generated a great deal of attention. Not only did this legislation result in me getting a call and interview from national radio show host Alan Colmes, as well as an interview from the New York Times, I've had mayors and attorneys across the state on my trail.

• There will be some storms ahead perhaps before Wednesday if I'm reading the winds of "change" right. I've had some meetings today with some of the House guys who are assisting to lay out a plan of action for the coming debate. I will be testifying on both of these bills.

• I was able to get SB 292 passed through the Senate on a 38 to 12 vote and SB 506 on a 43 to 7. Both of those had some Democrats on board. If these fail I doubt that I could ever get that kind of support again give all the media attention that flared up and the pressure that has been applied to those who voted for them.

• Also being heard Friday will be SB 154 that will allow long guns on off road vehicles and SB 434 which will change licensing for Indiana FFl dealers to improve the way they renew their licenses.

• If you will call the House members, in particular the committee members, to support these bills I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

• Today Sen. Nugent's bill SB 411 which was a clean up bill from last year's workplace bill to prevent employers from requiring employees to report their guns and all information concerning their guns on a registry that some employers had been compiling was passed 11 to 1.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I got an email, SB 292 is going to meet planned opposition. Support will be needed from your (everyones) legislator :yesway:

I SPAMMED the NWI INGO group to get them contacting our local reps as well. Sadly up here in NWI it's going to be a very hard battle since most of the reps and senators are anti-2A. :xmad:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Case in point look why my wonderful Senator sent me.

---
    Thank you for your e-mail. My name is Michelle and I am Senator Randolph's legislative aide. Senator Randolph has asked that I respond to your inquiry on his behalf. Please know that I have shared the concerns you expressed in your correspondence directly with the Senator.

Senator Randolph has serious concerns with the language in Senate Bill 292 which would allow an individual to carry a loaded gun into a community meeting, where debate often times gets heated. While Senator Randolph respects an individual's Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms, he believes that safety of everyone attending a community forum should be paramount.

Senate Bill 506 (handgun possession) passed the Senate by a vote of 43 to 7. It has been referred to the House of Representatives for further consideration. Senator Randolph voted against this bill as well.

Sincerely,
    Michelle - Legislative Aide

Office of Senator Lonnie Randolph
    State Senator
    District 2
    ---

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    E-mailed my rep and others. As per usual, however, I expect to receive either no response or a form letter that says "Thanks, but I'm going to vote however I darn well please." Kinda like jedaigh's response. Apparently, Senator Randolph's fear of something that might happen (even though there is no factual bases for that fear) is sufficient reason to curtail our Rights. I'm disgusted by the that response.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Committee meetings are not only open to the public, they are sometimes broadcast on the internet as well. If you want to go, the meeting tomorrow is in room 156-B in the State Capitol at 10:00 AM. Do be aware that entering that building will require you to be unarmed unless you're a legislator, judge, or police officer.

Blessings,
    Bill

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    E-mailed my rep and others. As per usual, however, I expect to receive either no response or a form letter that says "Thanks, but I'm going to vote however I darn well please." Kinda like jedaigh's response. Apparently, Senator Randolph's fear of something that might happen (even though there is no factual bases for that fear) is sufficient reason to curtail our Rights. I'm disgusted by the that response.

What is worse in my senator's response is the right now there is NOTHING stopping anyone from going to one of the "meet the rep/senator" armed if they want to. & I had yet once to hear that in NWI someone from the public has gone armed to one of these meetings and shot the place up. :dunno:

BTW that was my 2nd reply from him. The first one he wrote himself when the SENATE was going to vote on SB 506 and he told me "He was waiting to hear from more of his constitutents before he decided how to vote." Yeah RIGHT!!!! :cool:

So this "fear" (hes not afraid he just does not like 2A) is faceless and baseless. He could always do like my wonderful fed. rep who only has his meetings at high schools. :rolleyes:

Is SB 292 expected to be passed out of committee? My rep isn't on that committee so what can I do to help? Are committee meetings open to the public?

eMail the members of the committee anyways to tell them to please support these bills. While you are not in there district the more people that they hear from the better shot it has of going to the full house. You can bet your :spend: that the "other side" is emailing/calling them as well.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Yep. The bill keeps the same number throughout the process.

SB 411 is on the schedule Monday 4/4/11 for Second Reading.

I am also told that SB 154, 434, and 506 all passed the committee, though I've not yet seen the final vote tally from the committee. My bet is that any "no" votes came from GiaQuinta, Lawson, and/or Summers. Just sayin'...

Blessings,
    Bill

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Thanks for the answer on the bill number, fellas. I'm ready to go with the emails to the committee members. I already emailed my rep, who isn't on the committee, asking her to support it when it comes to the floor.

I got interested in this issue after Vanderburgh County/City of Evansville installed security stations and metal detectors in the city/county building; but they exempted employees from being checked and gave them passes. So whenever I have to go there for business I have to do the pocket emptying thing while maybe some day Joe City Employee walks in with a gun and blows away his superviser!!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Thanks for the answer on the bill number, fellas. I'm ready to go with the emails to the committee members. I already emailed my rep, who isn't on the committee, asking her to support it when it comes to the floor.

I got interested in this issue after Vanderburgh County/City of Evansville installed security stations and metal detectors in the city/county building; but they exempted employees from being checked and gave them passes. So whenever I have to go there for business I have to do the pocket emptying thing while maybe some day Joe City Employee walks in with a gun and blows away his superviser!!

its not right that we have to be disarmed. but also remember it also does not prevent crime from determined criminals. if Joe City Employee wants to commit murder, he will do it with or without metal detectors, and with or without a gun. The only thing "gun free zones" accomplish is make a large group of people easy pickens for criminals who will always be armed regardless of any law.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    SB 94 and SB 506 are to be heard on Wednesday. SB 506 had an amendment added at Third Reading, which is a very unusual occurrence, and the committee evidently did not hear it with that amendment last week. I do not see SB 292 slated to be heard yet.

SB 411 passed Second Reading in the House today.

To recap:

Bills that are still active and related to gun rights:

SB 94-------To be heard in committee 4/6
    SB 154 ----- Heard in committee 3/31. Passed unanimously to House
    SB 292 ----- ???
    SB 411 ----- Passed Second Reading in House 4/4
    SB 434 ----- Heard in committee 3/31. Passed unanimously to House
    SB 506 ----- Heard in committee 3/31. To be re-heard 4/6.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The Third Reading amendment to the bill was:

MADAM PRESIDENT:
    I move that Senate Bill 506 be recommitted to a Committee of One, consisting of Senator Tomes, with specific instruction to amend said bill as follows:

Page 2, line 3, after "property" insert " to have the handgun on the premises"
    (Reference is to SB 506 as reprinted February 16, 2011.)
    The bill as it stands presently is:

A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning criminal law and procedure.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Indiana:

SOURCE: IC 35-47-2-1; (11)SB0506.3.1. --> SECTION 1. IC 35-47-2-1, AS AMENDED BY P.L.118-2007, SECTION 35, IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2011]: Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in [strike]subsection[strike] subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body [strike]except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business,[/strike] without [strike]a license issued[/strike] being licensed under this chapter [strike]being in the person's possession.[/strike] to carry a handgun.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    (1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;
    (2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another

person, if the person:
    (A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;
    (B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
    (C) the person is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;
    (4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case; or
    (5) the person carries the handgun:
    (A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);
    (B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or
    (C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity.

[strike](b)[/strike] (c) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun. [strike]in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.[/strike]
    (d) This section may be not construed:
    (1) to prohibit a person who owns, leases, rents, or otherwise legally controls private property from regulating or prohibiting the possession of firearms on the private property; or
    (2) to allow a person to adopt or enforce an ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule that:
    (A) prohibits; or
    (B) has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person from possessing a firearm or

ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle, unless the person's adoption or enforcement of the ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule is allowed under IC 34-28-7-2(b).

SOURCE: IC 35-47-2-2; (11)SB0506.3.2. --> SECTION 2. IC 35-47-2-2 IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2011]: Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:
    (1) marshals;
    (2) sheriffs;
    (3) the commissioner of the department of correction or persons authorized by [strike]him[/strike] the commissioner in writing to carry firearms;
    (4) judicial officers;
    (5) law enforcement officers;
    (6) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves while they are on duty;
    (7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;
    (8) employees of the United States duly authorized to carry handguns;
    (9) employees of express companies when engaged in company business; or
    (10) any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent or representative of any such person having in [strike]his[/strike] the person's possession, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of that business. or
    [strike](11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.[/strike]
    The part in red above was the amended section.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Why didn't they just go ahead and strike all the stuff about "qualified licenses" at the same time?

When this passes they're going to have to write another bill to repeal all that stuff.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Because Sen. Tomes already said he had a hard enough time getting what he wrote to pass, what with all the media hype about :runaway: unlicensed guns :eek:

Baby steps, Kludge, baby steps. Same way the SOBs nibbled and grabbed bit by bit of the lawful exercise of our rights.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom