• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Does this mean you can finally leave your property (handgun) in your property (automobile) without a $120 license issued by the state of Indiana?

We need to get rid of the LTCH all together. I find it funny that I'm allowed to have a long gun in my car without a license, a long gun in my home without a license, (now?) a handgun in my car without a license, a handgun in my home without a license, and yet, I'm still unable to step off of my property, with a handgun on my person (which I, undoubtedly, own) without a license.

Baby steps, I suppose.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Does this mean you can finally leave your property (handgun) in your property (automobile) without a $120 license issued by the state of Indiana?

We need to get rid of the LTCH all together. I find it funny that I'm allowed to have a long gun in my car without a license, a long gun in my home without a license, (now?) a handgun in my car without a license, a handgun in my home without a license, and yet, I'm still unable to step off of my property, with a handgun on my person (which I, undoubtedly, own) without a license.

Baby steps, I suppose.
    from my reading of the bill you can as long as whoever owns the property you are going to has given you permission to carry your firearm on their propertry. Plus no LTCH to carry a pistol while hunting anymore either. I believe we should have constitutional carry like Az and a few other states have. Pass that one Mitch!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So if I read that right now you can go to the range without a liscense?

from my reading of the bill you can as long as whoever owns the property you are going to has given you permission to carry your firearm on their propertry. Plus no LTCH to carry a pistol while hunting anymore either. I believe we should have constitutional carry like Az and a few other states have. Pass that one Mitch!

Sadly baby steps for IN and Mitch WILL NOT be around by the time in a year or 2 IN goes with "constitutional carry" like AZ and others. Plus its not in the interest of certain "biz" that we go constitutional carry as they will no longer has biz processing LTCH applications. Also do you think the state wants to "loose" a revenue stream?

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Sadly baby steps for IN and Mitch WILL NOT be around by the time in a year or 2 IN goes with "constitutional carry" like AZ and others. Plus its not in the interest of certain "biz" that we go constitutional carry as they will no longer has biz processing LTCH applications. Also do you think the state wants to "loose" a revenue stream?
    I have been saying the same thing about the revenue from LTCH but one can dream cant we:ingo:.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I have been saying the same thing about the revenue from LTCH but one can dream cant we:ingo:.

The way we can have "constitutional carry" in IN would be to word it where the LTCH is NOT required but available so that you can use it for other states for reciprocary. That way the revenue stream stays to a certain point.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    No.

The way I read it, it can be loaded. It says, " or (5) the handgun is unloaded and securely wrapped." If it said "and" instead of "or" you would be correct, IMO.

:twocents:

I'm not exactly sure where you are quoting from but the latest version of the bill (SEA506) that modified the handgun carry laws states:

SECTION 1. IC 35-47-2-1, AS AMENDED BY P.L.118-2007,
    SECTION 35, IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE
    JULY 1, 2011]: Sec. 1.​
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a
    handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a
    handgun if:​
    [/FONT][/FONT].
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned,
    leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person,
    if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;
    (4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in
    a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally
    controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case; or​
    [/FONT][/FONT]

I read that as saying that the handgun has to be unloaded, in a case & not readily accessible unless you have a LTCH.

I just downloaded that from the legislative website yesterday so I'm fairly certain that it's accurate.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I'm not exactly sure where you are quoting from but the latest version of the bill (SEA506) that modified the handgun carry laws states:

I read that as saying that the handgun has to be unloaded, in a case & not readily accessible unless you have a LTCH.

I just downloaded that from the legislative website yesterday so I'm fairly certain that it's accurate.

I was quoting from post #378.:dunno: Is that not the most updated wording?

Governor Daniels: 2011 Bill Watch

Including SEA 506:

Handgun possession. Allows a person to carry a handgun without being licensed to carry a handgun if: (1) the person is in or on property, or in a vehicle, that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person; (2) the person is lawfully present in or on private property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person has the consent of the owner to have the handgun on the premises, is attending a firearms related event, or is receiving firearms related services; (3) the person is lawfully present in a vehicle, that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person; (4) the person is carrying the handgun at a shooting range, while attending a firearms instructional course, or while engaged in a legal hunting activity; or (5) the handgun is unloaded and securely wrapped. (Current law provides that a person who does not possess a valid handgun license may not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body unless the person: (1) is in the person's dwelling or fixed place of business or on the person's property; or (2) is carrying the handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place where the handgun was purchased to the person's dwelling or fixed place of business, between a handgun repair shop and the person's dwelling or fixed place of business, or from one dwelling or fixed place of business to another.) Specifies that a person who has been convicted of domestic battery may not possess or carry a handgun unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored by a court.

Bravo Mitch!

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I'm really glad to see 292 pass. Goodbye Hammond city ordinances.:yesway:

99.28 No person shall bring into or have in his or her possession in any park or park street any firearms.......

132.073 No person other than a duly authorized law enforcement officer shall carry or otherwise possess a deadly weapon as defined in I.C. 35-41-1-8 in any public building owned or leased by the city, or at any board or commission meeting of the city, regardless of whether the person has a state permit to carry a firearm.

:rockwoot:

Top Bottom