• ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I'm really glad to see 292 pass. Goodbye Hammond city ordinances.:yesway:

99.28 No person shall bring into or have in his or her possession in any park or park street any firearms.......

132.073 No person other than a duly authorized law enforcement officer shall carry or otherwise possess a deadly weapon as defined in I.C. 35-41-1-8 in any public building owned or leased by the city, or at any board or commission meeting of the city, regardless of whether the person has a state permit to carry a firearm.
    Remember, city hall has a court so they will still be able to prohibit carry there. The other buildings will be ok, as will the libraries.:D

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Remember, city hall has a court so they will still be able to prohibit carry there. The other buildings will be ok, as will the libraries.:D

????? Hammond City Hall has a court????

How does the new text of having to have metal detectors with LEOs at each entrance affect this? From what I read even with that in place those with LTCHs are still expempt so they can carry. =)

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    ????? Hammond City Hall has a court????

How does the new text of having to have metal detectors with LEOs at each entrance affect this? From what I read even with that in place those with LTCHs are still expempt so they can carry. =)

No, the new law specifically allows local governments to prohibit guns in any building that houses a courtroom, even a private building complex (strip mall, etc.) BUT it exempts any other private business or residence in that complex from that restriction.

Those places are treated diffently than other public buildings.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    No, the new law specifically allows local governments to prohibit guns in any building that houses a courtroom, even a private building complex (strip mall, etc.) BUT it exempts any other private business or residence in that complex from that restriction.

Those places are treated diffently than other public buildings.

Do you know how we would find out about those specific restrictions? Will they have to create specific ordinances to bar entry into buildings with courtrooms or does the judge simply have to declare it verbally during his breakfast each day? :dunno:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Do you know how we would find out about those specific restrictions? Will they have to create specific ordinances to bar entry into buildings with courtrooms or does the judge simply have to declare it verbally during his breakfast each day? :dunno:

My guess is that you'd have to read your local government's laws just as you do now.

Also, I'm sure that there would be some kind of "no guns" sign posted at the entrance(s).

I'd also guess that if they already have that as a law or rule of the court then it would simply remain in effect. I doubt that any place that doesn't already have those restrictions would be prompted to enact them solely due to the new law.

So, basically, I'm saying that where courtrooms are concerned, nothing has, or will, change because of the new law.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So, basically, I'm saying that where courtrooms are concerned, nothing has, or will, change because of the new law.

^ QFT & Thanks for the info.

Yep, Judge Harkin presiding over the city court. If you get a ticket in Hammond expect to spend several hours in court as it is a "cattle call" type of court.

Oh did not know this. Then again I can only recall once when I was 15 years old that I stepped foot into hammond's city hall bldg.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I'm in the Police Station pretty often, so that was my biggest concern. Other than that I try to stay out of Hammond.:D

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    That Hammond law is the perfect reason why this preemption bill was needed. I live close enough to hammond that I carry in their parks on a regular basis but I had no idea it existed since I am not a resident of the city.

MeAndMyXD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Hammond
    My kids played baseball at the worst little league field in Hammond always problems with something.

I heard one day we were'nt there, Thank God that one of the coaches got a gun pulled on him.

I'll never let my kids play there again and I will always carry in the parks.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You people....
    smiley-laughing021.gif
    Good 1! :D

I heard one day we were'nt there, Thank God that one of the coaches got a gun pulled on him.
    :postpics:

I'm sure it was a GLOCK.;)

"You People" (from hammond) are nothing but trouble! ;)

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I had the opportunity to thank Jim Tomes last night in person on behalf of all Indiana gun owners. It was a real honor to meet him, but I wish we had more time to talk about guns.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Any ideas for a source of 292 in plain English?

Bill's post above is pretty good at explananing it but in case it's not here is a quick summary that I came up with for my own information:

SB292

- Affects: IC 14-22-31.5-5 (amends), IC 35-47-1-2.5 b (adds to), IC 35-47-1-5.1 (adds to), IC 35047-11.1 (adds to) & IC 35-47-11 (repeals)
    - Adds definition of ammunition to the IC (includes muzzleloader bullets & powder)
    - Adds definition of firearm accessory to the IC
    - Eliminates the 1994 “grandfather clause” for local regulation of firearms
    - Restricts the ability of local government to regulate firearms, ammunition & accessories or pretty much anything else related to firearms.
    o It allows only the following regulations by local governments:
    § They can control the types of guns their police use.
    § They can prohibit government employees from carrying while on the job.
    § Allows judges to still hear gun related cases
    § Allows the same zoning control of gun related businesses as they have for non-gun related businesses EXCEPT that they can’t specifically target gun businesses for special restrictions including as to where they can be located.
    § They can prohibit guns in buildings with a courtroom EXCEPT when the building also contains other private residence or business then the residence or business & common area is exempt from the prohibition.
    § They can restrict open carrying at a “public meeting” (whatever that means).
    § They can prohibit guns in public hospitals with a prison ward as long as it is manned by LE 24 hours a day.
    § They can establish controls for people involved in local criminal proceedings (community correction, pre-trial diversion, etc)
    § Allows event organizers who lease land from a local government the ability to impose restrictions on carrying at the event & allows the local government the authority to enforce those restrictions (trespassing, etc)
    § They can prohibit firearms in city & county hospitals.
    § They can restrict a gun store within 200 feet of a school unless the business was there since before April of 1994.
    § They can prohibit guns in public buildings as long as:
    · There is a metal detector at each public entrance
    · And there is a LEO staffed at those entrances at all times when the building is open
    · And every person & every container they are carrying (purse, bag, etc.) entering the building is inspected by metal detector or pat down
    · EXCEPT it doesn't apply to anyone if they have a handgun & have an unlimited LTCH

- Provides for the ability for someone who has suffered damages by any prohibited law to sue the local government

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I was going to start another thread about this but this seems as good a place as any to ask:

I had a need to go to the police station in Fort Wayne yesterday & it got me wondering.

I don't see anything in the new pre-emption law that allows any local government from prohibiting carry in a police station. I assume that means any rule, etc, made by a local police department, too.

Does that mean that the "no firearms beyond this point" signs at ANY police station is null & void after July 1st?

I don't know of any other source of authority to pass those laws/rules so I assume they would also be pre-empted.

Frankly if that's the case, I'm VERY surprised that that one slipped by the legislature.

On second thought, I do kind of remember some law that makes it illegal to carry into a jail/prison but I can't find it for some reason. Is the authority to restrict guns in police stations in there somewhere (if it even exists :n00b:)?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I was going to start another thread about this but this seems as good a place as any to ask:

I had a need to go to the police station in Fort Wayne yesterday & it got me wondering.

I don't see anything in the new pre-emption law that allows any local government from prohibiting carry in a police station. I assume that means any rule, etc, made by a local police department, too.

Does that mean that the "no firearms beyond this point" signs at ANY police station is null & void after July 1st?

I don't know of any other source of authority to pass those laws/rules so I assume they would also be pre-empted.

Frankly if that's the case, I'm VERY surprised that that one slipped by the legislature.

On second thought, I do kind of remember some law that makes it illegal to carry into a jail/prison but I can't find it for some reason. Is the authority to restrict guns in police stations in there somewhere (if it even exists :n00b:)?

They may have a local traffic court courtroom or magistrate there, Finity. If so, still off limits, but they'll have to confirm that exemption. I suspect some will set up a room as a <wink wink> "courtroom" that's never actually used as such. :dunno:

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom