• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    So I have been kicking around the idea of finding a new to me limited gun for USPSA. I am shooting single stack now, and would like to be able to pull the trigger a few more times before I have to change mags . I definitely want a 2011 as I have always been and always will be a guy that likes the 1911 platform. I realize this won't make me a better shooter and wont improve my uspsa skills. I have just gotten started in the shooting games (long time shooter tho) and know that I eventually would like to end up shooting limited and maybe open sometime down the road. This sport to a gun guy is kinda like crack to a crackhead and I need my fix

So after doing a little research, it looks like the STI Edge is widespread in the limited world. However, I would wanna make some changes to the edge to get it to my liking. So just wondering if having a 2011 built would be a better option. I would prolly have $2200 or so in an edge the way I wanted it. It looks like I can have one built by triangle shooting sports or freedom gun works for around $2600. The other option would be to find a used 2011, but this worries me a little as I'm afraid I will get a gun that wont run well. Also, there is the other option of sourcing the parts and having someone local build one for me. Then there is the whole 6" vs 5" argument. I haven't shot either of them so can't even begin to debate that. The pistol will definitely be in .40 and will definitely be a 2011. If there is a wait on build times, that really isn't a bother either as I will just continue to shoot single stack until my new toy is done. So really just looking for opinions:

If you had a budget of somewhere around $2500 or so and wanted to procure a new limited gun, what direction would you go? Anyone have any personal experience with any local builders? Any experience with any of the more established builders (Brazos, Triangle shooting sports, Freedom gun works...etc)

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    GH2! He is in Brownsburg. But you better get your request in fast and it will take awhile.

Look up GH2 here. I think it lists his email address. He has built for many famous shooters in the past. I'm not sure I'm allowed to say who...lol

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Thanks for the reply mike.....I will prolly look into his availability and make a decision. Maybe I can fondle a few pistols this weekend at wabash as long as the rain doesnt wash us out.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    GH2 is a great option. Look around, fondle everything you can, do it right the first time. I will try and remember to bring both of mine, and you can check them out. I have a short dust cover GH2 gun.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Check out the Classifieds on the Brian Enos forums. Slightly used Limited guns come up for sale often. You can same some money by buying used.

Something to keep in mind, mags run around $100 each. You'll need at least 3. Good mags and ammo play a huge role in reliability for 2011's.

Custom 2011's are awesome, but they come at a premium. A slightly used Edge is an excellent entry level Limited gun, IMHO. They all take some tuning to get setup to the individuals preferences. Safeties, sights, mag release, etc...

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Thanks for the input guys....been watching enos and uspsa classifieds. There is a meillenium custom on uspsa right now for what sounds like a decent price, but I dont know anything about em. I will pick some brains at wabash sunday if we get to shoot.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I was impatient at the time and just couldn't wait for a custom built gun so I ordered Brazos High Performance Edge and the 4 super tuned mags which at the time were discounted with the purchase of a gun. The gun was setup exactly the way I would have had one built including the hard chrome. The only malfunction I have had in 8500 rounds was a broken RecoilMaster that STI replaced free of charge.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Anyone know anything about millenium custom. There is a pistol on uspsa classifieds right now that was listed yesterday. Has a bunch o goodies for parts and is full dust cover ion bonded .40 pistol. The beavertail, safeties, magwell, slide stop are all TiN coated which is a little too much bling for me, but i guess I could rock a pimped out comp gun.

USPSA Classified Ads - United States Practical Shooting Association

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Depends on when it was built, Shay Akia was the main builder for Derek and then went out on his own, and MC Guns has not been the same since.
    If it is a couple years old then it is fine, but not sure how much support you would get from MC guns.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I will have both of mine at Riley on Sunday.

My GH2 that was mentioned earlier in this thread, will cost you about $3300.

My first STI Edge was purchased from Dawson Precision. I was originally a blued Edge that came with Dawsons competition ready package (CRP). It was on special when I bought it, so I felt it was a good deal.

Note, I had already commisioned GH2 to build me a Limited gun when I bought the factory Edge, I am a "two is one" type of guy and I was changing platforms from a Glock to 2011 and also knew the GH2 build was going to be awhile.

Back to my factory Edge.
    First thing I did was throw the STI recoilmaster away, put in a tungsten guide rod and a 14lb. recoil spring. Finished the season with the gun this way. Over the winter, I took the gun to GH2 for some slide lightening, trigger job, install a new stippled grip. I also had GH2 prep the gun and send it out for a hardchrome finish. I bet I have close to $2800 in it.

As mentioned above, GOOD mags are very important and will cost you about $125-$150 per for tuned mags. And, if you don't now, you will need to load your own ammo.

Hope this didn't scare the hell out of you!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Not topic tweaking I hope, seems in line with the op's interests.
    Anyway, for those with custom guns, are you pretty sure that your scores are better than they would be with a basically stock Edge or equivalent? If the answer is yes, do you think a person of much more modest skills (say class c or b) would see any improvement?
    Certainly there is a big cool factor/pride of ownership thing!

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I will have both of mine at Riley on Sunday.

My GH2 that was mentioned earlier in this thread, will cost you about $3300.

My first STI Edge was purchased from Dawson Precision. I was originally a blued Edge that came with Dawsons competition ready package (CRP). It was on special when I bought it, so I felt it was a good deal.

Note, I had already commisioned GH2 to build me a Limited gun when I bought the factory Edge, I am a "two is one" type of guy and I was changing platforms from a Glock to 2011 and also knew the GH2 build was going to be awhile.

Back to my factory Edge.
    First thing I did was throw the STI recoilmaster away, put in a tungsten guide rod and a 14lb. recoil spring. Finished the season with the gun this way. Over the winter, I took the gun to GH2 for some slide lightening, trigger job, install a new stippled grip. I also had GH2 prep the gun and send it out for a hardchrome finish. I bet I have close to $2800 in it.

As mentioned above, GOOD mags are very important and will cost you about $125-$150 per for tuned mags. And, if you don't now, you will need to load your own ammo.

Hope this didn't scare the hell out of you!

Doesn't scare the hell outta me, as I have a pretty good idea what things will cost and I am already an addict things that go bang. Already reloading 9mm and 45 on a Dillon 550 so I just need to get dies, conversion kit, and components. I will definitely be interested in seeing what everyone is shooting and what they think of it/what would they change if they had to do it all over again. I will prolly decide early next week to build, buy used, or buy a factory edge. Thanks again for everyone's comments/suggestions.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Anyway, for those with custom guns, are you pretty sure that your scores are better than they would be with a basically stock Edge or equivalent? If the answer is yes, do you think a person of much more modest skills (say class c or b) would see any improvement?

Good question
    simple answer is maybe

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis

When I was a C class or D class shooter, I would say that a nicer gun wouldn't have made much difference. I had too many other things to work on :). If I was starting over from scratch, I would have purchased a stock STI Eagle (short dust cover) with a tri-topped slide. When you buy a blued, short dust cover gun, you can make a lot of changes to add or remove weight, without adding a ton of cost. This allows you to experiment and find what works best for you personally (watch the timer, it will tell you) and which items are just gun jewelry that make your gun more expensive, without any measurable performance gains.

It's also hard to shake the mindset that these guns are "collectibles", when really they're tools we need to do the job, and the more customized they are, the more they tend to depreciate over time. If you want proof, look at an Open gun from 5-10 years ago, and you'll see what I mean. Things that were the hot new thing (tube sights, 38 super guns, custom grips, flashy slide lightening) don't tend to have good resale value now.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I still seem to be poaching on this thread.

"Tri-topped" - Personal preference, or is there something that makes this better?

Less reciprocating mass, allows you to use a lighter recoil spring for less muzzle flip n' dip.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

If you have such a gun and maintain it properly then you will know that any lack of results will be the shooter and not the gun. Mostly it is the Indian not the arrow, but good arrows help.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Jake sent me some info on that one......I really appreciate all the input. That being said, after handling, fondling guns and giving some thought to everything. I think I am gonna try open class out for a bit. I will give it a shot next year and if I cant get used to the red dot sight or dont like shooting the open gun, I will transition to limited. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Pat

Chris Keen from Ohio is selling his SVI Limited gun.

Top Bottom