• ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    ***Posting as a Director of the Indiana State Rifle & Pistol Association***

Today the Senate Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee unanimously passed House Bill 1563. Prior to passage, Sen. Tomes (R-Down Around Evansville) successfully introduced an amendment to heighten shooting range protection.

It now goes to the full Senate. ISRPA urges its members and all of INGO that express an interest in this reform to contact their Senator and urge them to vote in favor of this measure.

We thank all members of the committee for their time and attention to this matter.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    SB555 needs to die. In the last printing on the bill there's some language in there that allows the state police to determine if you have a 'legitimate' reason to carry a firearm. Very much has the earmarks of the justification based carry you see in some of the eastern states. Senator Nugent's office advised our gun club to call any and all legislators we can to get this thing stopped as it can seriously affect our rights going forward if this thing passes.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    My contacts through SCC (students for concealed carry) have informed me that Senator Banks may not be able to reintroduce proposal legislation for a campus carry bill next year. We may need to rely on some other co-sponsors to author it next time around so please keep on contacting your reps and urging them to get this through next session.

Why is that? :dunno:

SB555 needs to die. In the last printing on the bill there's some language in there that allows the state police to determine if you have a 'legitimate' reason to carry a firearm. Very much has the earmarks of the justification based carry you see in some of the eastern states. Senator Nugent's office advised our gun club to call any and all legislators we can to get this thing stopped as it can seriously affect our rights going forward if this thing passes.

:rockwoot:A poison bill in SB555! Agree with you Viper1973 that SB555 needs to die not because of this poison pill but becuase if the bill itself and it's UC.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    ***Posting as a Director of the Indiana State Rifle & Pistol Association***

Today the Senate Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee unanimously passed House Bill 1563. Prior to passage, Sen. Tomes (R-Down Around Evansville) successfully introduced an amendment to heighten shooting range protection.

It now goes to the full Senate. ISRPA urges its members and all of INGO that express an interest in this reform to contact their Senator and urge them to vote in favor of this measure.

We thank all members of the committee for their time and attention to this matter.

Is this the latest version of the bill?
    House Bill 1563

What text was added by Sen. Tomes regarding shooting range protection?
    All I am seeing (related to firearms) is hunting with a silencer is OK.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Um... Viper? Our current law (IC 35-47-2-3) has language allowing the superintendent of the state police to determine if you have a "proper reason" for carrying, and has had that language for many years. That law was written in 1983 and has been amended several times since then, the most recent in 2010.

"Proper reason" in Indiana means "for the defense of oneself or the State of Indiana" (IC 35-47-1-8) and has meant that since 1983, unamended.

I'm not saying 555 is good or bad. I'm only saying that the "proper reason" thing, in and of itself, is not a reason to stand against it. It's a non-issue, until someone changes or repeals IC 35-47-1-8.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Is this the latest version of the bill?
    House Bill 1563

What text was added by Sen. Tomes regarding shooting range protection?
    All I am seeing (related to firearms) is hunting with a silencer is OK.

Nope. Look at your link. See at the end where it says 1563.1? That ".1" at the end means it's the introduced version.

Here's the info page on that bill, with the link to the latest printing:
    Indiana General Assembly.
    The amendment proposed is not in there, though, at least not at this writing. It's down in the filed Senate amendments, as it's not been updated as having passed committee yet.

The amendment is as follows:
    SOURCE: Page 7, line 23; (13)CR156301.7. --> Page 7, between lines 23 and 24, begin a new paragraph and insert:

SOURCE: IC 14-22-31.5-6; (13)CR156301.13. --> "SECTION 13. IC 14-22-31.5-6 IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2013]: Sec. 6. A person who owns, operates, or uses a shooting range is not liable in any civil or criminal matter relating to noise or noise pollution that results from the [STRIKE]normal[/STRIKE] operation or use of the shooting range if the construction and operation of the shooting range [STRIKE]complies with a law or an ordinance that applied to the shooting range and its operation at the time of the construction or initial operation of the shooting range, if such a law or ordinance was in existence at the time of the construction or initial operation of the shooting range.[/STRIKE] were legal at the time of its initial construction or initial operation, and the shooting range continues to operate in a manner that would have been legal at the time of such inception or initial operation.".

Hope that helps! :)

Blessings,
    Bill

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Nope. Look at your link. See at the end where it says 1563.1? That ".1" at the end means it's the introduced version.

Here's the info page on that bill, with the link to the latest printing:
    Indiana General Assembly.
    The amendment proposed is not in there, though, at least not at this writing. It's down in the filed Senate amendments, as it's not been updated as having passed committee yet.

The amendment is as follows:

Hope that helps! :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Thanks so basically it grandfather's ranges should any new range requirements come into play down the road.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I called the Legislative Information Center this morning and they told me that they did not hear HB1563 yesterday. The new schedule will not be out until Monday.

This means more time to contact your Senator!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    HB 1563 was heard on Second Reading on Monday 3/25. It is on the schedule for a full Senate vote for today, 3/26/13.

SB 181, meanwhile, languishes in the House Public Policy committee. Rep. Bill Davis seems to be ignoring our letters to request the bill be heard.

I've just written him again:
    Dear Rep. Davis,

I have written you several times and know that I'm not the only one requesting that you please hear SB 181 in the House Public Policy committee that you chair. This bill does nothing more than eliminate an antiquated, useless law, and allow those of us who would benefit from the decriminalization of an object to use it lawfully.
    Sir, as you know, it's already unlawful to attack someone with a knife (or any other, or no weapon) There is no purpose served by a law criminalizing an automatic or "switchblade" knife, it only serves to make criminals of people who have no intent to do anyone harm.
    Please hear SB 181 in committee and pass it on to the House for a vote.
    Thank you for your time and consideration.

Most sincerely,

If only one percent of this board were to write him, it would be 300 letters. Let's get 'em written, INGO!

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    HB 1563 was heard on Second Reading on Monday 3/25. It is on the schedule for a full Senate vote for today, 3/26/13.

SB 181, meanwhile, languishes in the House Public Policy committee. Rep. Bill Davis seems to be ignoring our letters to request the bill be heard.

I've just written him again:

If only one percent of this board were to write him, it would be 300 letters. Let's get 'em written, INGO!

Blessings,
    Bill
    Sent. One down, 299 to go.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Emailed and posted on FB walls of all involved with both bills. Also took the time to hit up Donnelly and Coats concerning new Control bills coming up after the break... reminded them that it is there job to uphold the Constitution, not to re-interpret it for political gain.

KEHO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Noblesville
    If I heard correctly, HB 1563 just passed third reading second house, off to the Governor! :rockwoot:

That's not how I interpreted it. I was watching the stream and I heard that they "passed" on reading it today so it did not come up for a vote. The other bills that came up and were voted on showed the voting screen and had a Senator come up and give a re-cap on it. That did not happen on HB1563. I could be wrong, though - I'm a newbie at watching the proceedings.

Top Bottom