• ...and so much more!
  • downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Are you saying...
    1. You don't finish where you should relative to others in your class (eg if your class % is an 80% you don't finish any where near mid pack of the As)?
    or
    2. You don't finish near your classification% at matches (eg if your class % is an 80% you finish might finish with a 65% in the match)?

The later is not the purpose of the system despite what the statistics show. The former is the reason for the ability to go down in class with the proper approvals, to account for things like physical disabilities, injuries, etc.

-rvb

I'm a 68% production shooter that will probably finish in the 50% or lower bracket in a Level II. I just happened to pull some stuff out of my butt and shoot an 79% classifier once and a timer that didn't pick up the last 5 shots "earned" me a 75% classifiier.

Most level II's, if I shoot well, I will end up at 50% or lower. That has only happened a few times

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is where I typically mention that the Lewis Class system is 1) tough to game, 2) specific to the event.

Kane406

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2013
    Speedway
    I'm a 68% production shooter that will probably finish in the 50% or lower bracket in a Level II.

For the most part, that is what Rob377's graph shows. Look at the 70% Classifier average. Their Match scores range from 40% to 70%,
    but the red line crosses at about 55%. Look at the 90% Classifier average. The red line crosses at about the 70% Match score.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'm a 68% production shooter that will probably finish in the 50% or lower bracket in a Level II. ... a 75% classifiier.... I will end up at 50% or lower.

Right, so that describes my bullet point #2... the one I said is not the purpose of the classification system. The question is... where do you finish among other A class shooters? Since you say you barely made A class at 75%, you should be finishing roughly among the bottom of the As, top of the Bs. That's the point of the classification system.

btw, if you know a stage was scored wrong, why didn't you get a re-shoot? Pretty easy for an RO to tell based on shots recorded if it picked up all the shots, especially on a classifier....

For the most part, that is what Rob377's graph shows. Look at the 70% Classifier average. Their Match scores range from 40% to 70%,
    but the red line crosses at about 55%. Look at the 90% Classifier average. The red line crosses at about the 70% Match score.

and that seems pretty typical for any LII or LIII. there's no reason to expect because a person has a 70% classification they should shoot a 70% in the match... if that correlation existed and was done perfectly, we wouldn't even need to hold the matches, just take a snapshot of the database for those signed up and mail out trophies.

This is where I typically mention that the Lewis Class system is 1) tough to game, 2) specific to the event.

That's a fine method for dividing the field for the purpose of handing out extra trophies/prizes, but can't be used as a national system allowing folks who don't shoot nationals or area matches can get an idea where they stand skill wise (the other purpose of the classifier system).

-rvb

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That's a fine method for dividing the field for the purpose of handing out extra trophies/prizes, but can't be used as a national system allowing folks who don't shoot nationals or area matches can get an idea where they stand skill wise (the other purpose of the classifier system).

Agreed. Keep in mind that I don't place much value on, nor recognize the need for, a national system that allows folks to get an idea where they stand skill wise.

I'm a neo-Luddite curmudgeon who thinks we should not have divisions or classes (or Kindles).

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Agreed. Keep in mind that I don't place much value on, nor recognize the need for, a national system that allows folks to get an idea where they stand skill wise.

I'm a neo-Luddite curmudgeon who thinks we should not have divisions or classes (or Kindles).

I wouldn't shed a tear if the system went away, but I do enjoy having a system I can track progress (or lately, degradation) of skill with...
    I wouldn't mind no longer hearing whining about sandbaggers and grandbaggers.

I don't mind divisions, I just think we have too many of them.

-rvb

oh... and one more thought about correlation of classifier % to match %... remember they throw out the lowest 2 of your last 8 classifiers. You don't get to pretend a bad run didn't happen "in the real world"... oops, "in the match" (forgot which subforum this was in). So naturally class % should be higher.

-rvb

Top Bottom