Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    06J0Ds.png

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pence did an excellent job. It's clear he won the debate. The problem? He isn't running for president. It will be interesting to see how his views which conflict with Trump's already stated positions, reconcile. Pence might be a genius, as he's given himself quite the platform to run for the presidency in the future. But to say this debate helped Trump, more than it did himself, is patently false.

Kut (doesn't think it's out of the realm of possibility he's sabotaging Trump)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Trump needs to stay on point and not get baited on Sunday. A solid performance will level things up for the last debate.

The last debate, Trump needs to pull an on stage surprise "business man" move and delegate the responsibility of the debate to Mike Pence. :twocents:

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    I can't believe how hard Pence raked Kaine over the coals.

Good lord is Pence a good debater. He made Kaine look like an angry blabbering child.

The problem is Pence also made Trump look like a blabbering child. Heheh, okay maybe not that bad. But my wife leans dem and she was much more worried about this debate knowing who was on the GOP side. And it was sweet - I said "Boy, he sure is polished. That is one smooth politician." Conversely, I cringe at the thought of a train wreck in the next presidential debate.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Pence did an excellent job. It's clear he won the debate. The problem? He isn't running for president. It will be interesting to see how his views which conflict with Trump's already stated positions, reconcile. Pence might be a genius, as he's given himself quite the platform to run for the presidency in the future. But to say this debate helped Trump, more than it did himself, is patently false.

Oh, I think Pence took this role specifically with the intent to lay the groundwork for 2020. Probably figured that if Trump wins, that's bonus, but that's also not what he's focused on.

Its looking more and more like we won't start the next primary season with a dozen podiums and the same number of debates. Pence and maybe a couple others looking to establish name recognition, and the nomination could be a done deal.

The last debate, Trump needs to pull an on stage surprise "business man" move and delegate the responsibility of the debate to Mike Pence. :twocents:

That would be the smartest decision he's made since... well... since the campaign started IMHO.

The problem is Pence also made Trump look like a blabbering child. Heheh, okay maybe not that bad. But my wife leans dem and she was much more worried about this debate knowing who was on the GOP side. And it was sweet - I said "Boy, he sure is polished. That is one smooth politician." Conversely, I cringe at the thought of a train wreck in the next presidential debate.

Well, it gives Trump more fodder for distraction. "Did you see how good my guy did against your guy? It was fabulous."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I've not been a big fan of Pence. But he did really well last night. He absolutely destroyed the whining, petulant, crybaby Kaine.

Ditto. It's the first time I've ever been impressed by him. If he were at the top of the ticket, I could probably vote for him.

That seems to be the only way the Dems can spin what happened last night. Their boy got trounced. The only points Pence really lost on were points Kaine made about Trump which were true. Pence either had to deflect or admit his boss is a douchebag. He deflected pretty well, but Pence made it pretty obvious that he is the only statesman in that duo.

I do think Pence helped Trump overall. It may have given people more confidence in a Trump presidency. It did that for me. Not that I'm ready to pull the lever for Trump, but I'm at least slightly less concerned about a Trump presidency than I was before. And hell, maybe the best way out of this conundrum America has created is to vote for Trump, and then immediately demand Trump's impeachment.

Anyway, most of America won't know Kaine got his ass handed to him. Flipping through the local news, except for the local Fox affiliate, the only clips that were shown from the debate were Kaine listing all the stupid things Trump has said. They didn't show anything from Pence, probably because he didn't make any gaffs.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You never know how much truth there is in anything like this, but on the after 9:00 portion of the Today Show, they reported that Donald is upset that Pence is getting so much praise for his debate performance in contrast to his first performance.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You never know how much truth there is in anything like this, but on the after 9:00 portion of the Today Show, they reported that Donald is upset that Pence is getting so much praise for his debate performance in contrast to his first performance.

The Donald is obviously in love with himself.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Actually, he's probably going to use it to play up the MSM-bias angle.

The MSM is saying Pence did better to sow seeds of discord within the ticket, but it won't work! He's not going to let it work!

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound

MSM will do and say anything their puppet masters tell them to do. Why would a presidential candidate be upset that his own running mate did well? I know Trump has an ego, but this is reaching way beyond reality.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow. The Beeb calls Pence the winner of the debate.

Pence v Kaine: Who won the vice-presidential debate? - BBC News

In the end, however, it was a battle that Mike Pence won.
    Mr Pence succeeded. Mr Kaine, while unloading a crate of opposition research on Mr Trump, failed.

They go on to list all the reasons, which we've pretty much covered. Including this observation about 2020, as Pence defended conservativsm:
    Oh, and it also may not be a bad move for Mr Pence if he wants to position himself as a possible candidate for the 2020 Republican nomination

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Well, I sure wouldn't want Kaine second in line to lead the country.

My wife also went to bed early, it was pretty bad on Kaine's part.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Good thing I am not playing a drinking game everytime Kaine mentions Trumps tax returns.
    Dont you {hic} judge mister. :40oz::cheers::buddies:

If you were actually doing that, I doubt you would be conscious let alone typing

A Pence-Daniels Presidential ticket would be a hands down winner over any of this.

Well, Daniels-Pence. Pence has the "evangelical" baggage that would cost him votes. Daniels would appeal to a wider base. Also I like Daniels a lot more than Pence.

Yeah Mitch! He doesn't want to put his family through what the media would do to an actual Constitutional conservative.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If you were actually doing that, I doubt you would be conscious let alone typing

Yeah Mitch! He doesn't want to put his family through what the media would do to an actual Constitutional conservative.

See? Look at the diverse group that could support Mitch. Me. You. Alpo. 1911ly. I think even MrJ has said he liked Daniels. And that underscores a problem with our system. I don't believe Daniels would have made it through the primary. Having witnessed the primary, I'm pretty sure he is confident he made the right decision.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Cruz was the closest thing to a Constitutional conservative and look at the beating he took from the left, MSM (actually one and the same and the entrenched GOP insiders (also not much difference) Daniels made the correct decision.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Cruz was the closest thing to a Constitutional conservative and look at the beating he took from the left, MSM (actually one and the same and the entrenched GOP insiders (also not much difference) Daniels made the correct decision.

Well, sure, but Cruz is also a smarmy schemer. At least Daniels appears to be honest.

Top Bottom