• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Congrats on a nice deer! Someday I'll get a deer with my recurve. Guess that's tough to do though as I sit here in the stand with my "training wheels".

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    This morning (Friday) I heard single shots from three different direcions between 7:00 and 7:45. I think some hunters are getting an early start this year!

Last edited:

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Well, we were headed out at 4:30 and started to see lightening and hear thunder... Now its coming down pretty hard...

I have a cup of coffee and a Siamese cat laying on me. We'll pass this morning for a while...

Good luck.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Hunter harassment going on here in Owen co.
    100 rounds rapid fired at 705am. Maybe 100yds from me.
    Dnr has been notified.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Congrats jg.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Went to leave the house at 5 am. Dual flat tires on the car. Jumped into the backup pickup truck. Now it Won’t shift out of second gear. 35 mph. Tranny slips. Hey at 330k miles something had to happen and it has not been driven in 30 days or more. Who would have though that a unseen issue with both.

Currently raining but out in a closer deer stand to the House than I wanted. Saw a doe. Heard a shot at dawn. Going to tough it out till 10 am. Down pour right now.

Then curse over to the new construction going on down the street to see why both passenger sides tires are flat. I have a feeling that someone left something in the road. I remember hearing something like a tin can sound driving home last night at 11 pm. Wonder if something was in the road. Had worked 17 hours Friday. They are doing a lot of siding and gutter work had high winds.

not the best start to the season as this is not the best spot in the world to hunt. Still hunting better than not hunting.

So so far I have 48 dollars in tags 30 dollars in reloading supplies a new pair of gloves most likely two new tires 200 dollars and a new tranny. 1000

total deer seasoan cost closing in on 1300 dollars. Worth every penny now as I just saw an owl get a rodent out of the apples on the ground and he or she is currently 30 feet away having breakfast.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    You can't harvest deer if you aren't in stand, but the winds down here are 20G35 knots, so I decided to stay home this morning.

Of course, 5 minutes ago I watched a nice 10 pointer cruise through the woods behind my house in a subdivision, not 35yd behind my back door...

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    You can't harvest deer if you aren't in stand, but the winds down here are 20G35 knots, so I decided to stay home this morning.

Of course, 5 minutes ago I watched a nice 10 pointer cruise through the woods behind my house in a subdivision, not 35yd behind my back door...

For sure... We had a brief window from about 6:30 to 8:15 now its down pour city, again... It appears the rut is still on up here so they'll hopefully be moving.

:ingo:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015

Today is not a very good stand hunting day, but to think that means it is not a good day for deer hunting is incorrect.

A guy should get outside the box, get off the stand, and use his feet on a day like this one. It can work really well. (But same as today's conditions demand something different, you have to know what days you are meant to stay put.)

That having been said, it WILL test your skills and gear much more rigorously to attempt to kill deer face-to-face. Wear wool (under a decent rain shedding layer if you have it), go slowly, keep the gun UP, and the wind on your cheek. Glass constantly from 10 yards through as far as you can see. Move with the wind. Don't be afraid to belly crawl.

-Nate

ETA: Rain is only annoying until you realize you're going to get wet.

Last edited:

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    ...Worth every penny now as I just saw an owl get a rodent out of the apples on the ground and he or she is currently 30 feet away having breakfast.

That right there is the biggest reason I enjoy hunting. Not seeing owls, just being able to be enough a part of nature to see things happen as if I weren't there. Hope it all works out with the vehicles too.

Top Bottom