Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sabine Schmitz, the Queen of Nurburgring

sabine-schmitz-to-race-bowler-exr-prototype-at-top-gear-live-39832_1.jpg

She is the real thing.
    I saw a video of her a few years ago when she was a rent-a-driver at the ring.
    She was wheeling a big V-12 powered (I think) Mercedes and people paid to ride along.
    She threw that big car around that course.
    There was a video of her in her full on race car (Porsche) coming back from last place to 4th or better in 1 lap. She is amazing.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    When I win the lottery, I'm going to invest in driving/racing schools. And I will do this a lot before I purchase high-falootin sports cars. :D

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    When I win the lottery, I'm going to invest in driving/racing schools. And I will do this a lot before I purchase high-falootin sports cars. :D

EVOC is is, along with first aid, one of the most useful bits of training I've ever received. It's not racing, of course, but it uses some of the same principals and definitely made me a better driver. I keep saying I'll get out to Colorado for the winter driving school out there, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Bridgestone Winter Driving School

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Of course you can.

I came up with that when I was running our USAC midget.
    It was the only way I could explain some of the dumb :poop: I would do.

And......."I am a hell of a lot faster than I am good"

Thanks. I threw a BMW 325 into a corner in the mountains outside of Boulder Colorado. Didn't know the road curved. Forgot about brakes. The passengers and driver escaped without injury. The Beemer, not so much. Never did get to test out the anti-lock feature.

The line that seems to fit me more and more is:

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For everyone who wants to do this, I can't recommend 10/10ths motorsports enough. Not terribly cheap, but not horribly expensive either. I was invited by a friend out to one of their track days at Putnam Park Road Course earlier this year. It was a blast and educational if you want to learn about performance driving. While I've not signed up to do full on track driving I did take the most powerful Pontiac ever produced around the track on what they call "touring car laps". They give you a speed limit-ish but allow any licensed driver and any licensed vehicle out on the track. It was still enough to push the limits of the car in a few turns. Even if you don't sign up to drive your car, you can ride with any of the drivers that have a Yellow or Red tag on their car and attend the training sessions they have for the beginner drivers. The next ones at Putnam are going to be September 16-17 and October 28-29. They also visit the Mid Ohio Sports Car Course and National Corvette Museum roadcourse. I was amazed at how courteous the driving was even in the advanced group. Every so often someone goes off track, but rarely is there any danger of anything resembling a crash.

Nasa is another HPDE option but from what I've heard they are more aggressive.

[video=youtube;hfDFggtVxNs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfDFggtVxNs[/video]

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    EVOC is is, along with first aid, one of the most useful bits of training I've ever received. It's not racing, of course, but it uses some of the same principals and definitely made me a better driver. I keep saying I'll get out to Colorado for the winter driving school out there, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Bridgestone Winter Driving School

I'd love that winter driving school, too!

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    That is a great video. Thanks for sharing fastest I have done was about 25 to 30 mph backwards on the dial. The 89 HMC pick-up speedometer maxed at 85 but if you kept going the dial would disappear for a little bit and start coming back around the other side as it was just a disc painted to colors behind the numbers. So I estimate it was about 120-130. Loved those 350 small blocks for sure and no governors. I used to run all my vehicles after that to when the governor would kick in but grown older, wiser, smaller balled over the years.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I did a little racing yesterday. First race I started out second from last and worked my way through the pack pretty quickly but couldn't get around the leader. We hit all the same lines and I couldn't get around him. On the next to last lap he swung a little wide in a turn to prevent someone else from passing and I got an inside lane on him for the next curve and took the lead. He made a little contact with my quarter panel but I was able to steer out of the skid and hold the lead. It slowed him down more than me and I held him off for the final lap for a victory. On the second race I started near the back again, and a larger field. By the time I worked through the slower cars, and around a crash, I didn't have time to catch up to the leaders and finished mid-pack. On the third and final race I started second, took the lead in the first curve, and held the lead the entire race.

Those kids on the go-cart track never knew what him them.

(I took my son and a bunch of his friends to a go-cart track for his birthday)

Top Bottom