• ...and so much more!
  • MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I pay taxes 4 times and year and have no withholding. Guess who will never, ever vote to raise his own or anyone else’s taxes?

If there was no withholding for anyone, and people had to see how much they were actually paying....

I really like the idea, upthread, of a monthly tax payment where the taxpayer writes a check, just like rent.

I also think that people who "get it," like many of us on this thread, already realize what we are paying. Just like every self-employed person, like Mr. Hough.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I still say best answer is do away with income tax (it is unconstitutional to tax income.. its theft) and have a small 10-20% goods tax.. exempt food and medical from taxation. If we did this tax code would fit on one line of a sheet of paper and we would save even more money by doing away with one of the tin badge organizations, the weaponized IRS.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If there was no withholding for anyone, and people had to see how much they were actually paying....

I really like the idea, upthread, of a monthly tax payment where the taxpayer writes a check, just like rent.

I also think that people who "get it," like many of us on this thread, already realize what we are paying. Just like every self-employed person, like Mr. Hough.

Taxes. Please please please lets get this fixed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Welping puppies is hard.

I have a neice that was pitching a royal ***** that she got $2200 less this years. I was a bit dumbfounded. $2200 less than what I stammered. Did you not see more money weekly on your check. You only have 1 kid left at home. Whats the problem...???

Her response was "I need that money" and I had plans for it.

But it is not your money if you get more every week and you loose a child deduction. Fell on deaf ears.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Then maybe “the poor” should do something to make themselves not “poor”? Second job, quit smoking, quit spdrinking, quit making babies, dunno, just spitballing?

You'll never hear me argue otherwise.

My point is that everyone should pay the same share, period. If you chose to be an idiot in life, you shouldn't get a better deal than someone that didn't. Likewise, if you work hard and make good decisions, you shouldn't be penalized for it. A flat income tax is the only system that treats all people equally and fairly across the board, IMO.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You'll never hear me argue otherwise.

My point is that everyone should pay the same share, period. If you chose to be an idiot in life, you shouldn't get a better deal than someone that didn't. Likewise, if you work hard and make good decisions, you shouldn't be penalized for it. A flat income tax is the only system that treats all people equally and fairly across the board, IMO.

But but but that does not buy any votes.....:dunno:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    **update**
    and i think ill stop cause now im pissed.
    got an angry call from my aunt and then my mother about why i did NOT help him. why did i not tell him to change his taxes with his job. :facepalm:

rrreeeaaallllyy

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think one of the biggest things about the new tax bill that is no longer availible for actual working class folks is that you cannot claim itemized deductions for meals, travel, uniforms, ect.
    I don't know if that was equalized or not by other deductions they built into the bill.

The big problem i have with our tax system is people who get back more than they put in. Thats not right

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    **update**
    got an angry call from my aunt and then my mother about why i did NOT help him. why did i not tell him to change his taxes with his job. :facepalm:

rrreeeaaallllyy

I've got an ATT SIM card with about a week of service and 5 gigs of data left on it that you can have if you want to off-grid your phone from your family for awhile...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    **update**

rrreeeaaallllyy

Oh hell to the no. Really. Why is that your responsibility and why in the hell would those ladys want him to give his money to big brother and then have to beg to get it back.......Wait for it........Interest free.

Might have lost my cool with that one and no, he would not be gracing my presence ever again.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I think one of the biggest things about the new tax bill that is no longer availible for actual working class folks is that you cannot claim itemized deductions for meals, travel, uniforms, ect.
    I don't know if that was equalized or not by other deductions they built into the bill.

The big problem i have with our tax system is people who get back more than they put in. Thats not right

The standard deduction increased so massively that now you simply don't need to itemize. What this tax reform bill did, almost is if intended to do so (:rockwoot:) is just to stick right in the back sides of the blue states. Not being able to itemize my mortgage interest* in Indiana isn't a huge deal (since the standard deduction went up so much anyhow), but it absolutely bones people in NY, CA, MA, etc, etc... They're all really unhappy.

That makes me VERY happy.

So... Don't get too twisted up over not being able to itemize small expenses. The standard deduction should still cover most blue collar folks just fine.

edit: Oops.. Not mortgage interest, PROPERTY TAXES. Fingers faster than brain.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Property tax, that's a good one. No such thing as home ownership since you are virtually renting it from the state. I wish property tax had to be paid directly to the county and not through a monthly escrow which most people don't see, like that federal tax deduction. Want to see p-o'd people? Ban escrow of property tax.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Property tax, that's a good one. No such thing as home ownership since you are virtually renting it from the state. I wish property tax had to be paid directly to the county and not through a monthly escrow which most people don't see, like that federal tax deduction. Want to see p-o'd people? Ban escrow of property tax.

I actually think my Indiana property taxes are quite far. When I was in Allen Co, but not in Fort Wayne proper, my $100k house cost me under a grand a year. That's a helluva deal for cops, fire fighters, local roads, etc. No complaints from me.

Now those chumps in IL paying like $15k yr... LOL!!!

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I actually think my Indiana property taxes are quite far. When I was in Allen Co, but not in Fort Wayne proper, my $100k house cost me under a grand a year. That's a helluva deal for cops, fire fighters, local roads, etc. No complaints from me.

Now those chumps in IL paying like $15k yr... LOL!!!

I think it depends on where you are in Indiana. We are paying about the same $$ amount for a larger house and much more land in rural Morgan County as we were for a small subdivision home and 0.11 acre lot (yup, it was small) in Marion County. And the roads are much better here.

ETA: I had no complaint with the LE and other emergency services in Marion County. IMPD is, in my opinion (based on years in LE, government, and with friends on IMPD) doing an excellent job. They are just overstretched, especially after the "merger" with MCSD. Having been a LEO in Morgan County (that was a few years ago), I also realize that it might be a few minutes before a deputy can make it to my non-emergency call. That is the reality of living in a rural area.

The people on the ground in Marion County are, for the most part, hard working and mean to do the best they can. The city government has evolved and inherited a structure that is expensive and, I think, unsustainable in the long run.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    **update**

rrreeeaaallllyy
    Why didn’t aunt and mom help him?

I sent multiple reminders to my employees last spring to check their withholdings at the new rate. A couple asked for help. I also reviewed each employees withholdings after the new rates took effect to make sure they wouldn’t be surprised this spring. So far no horror stories.

Somtimes you you have to be an adult and take responsibility for yourself or ask for help when you are too stupid.

Top Bottom