2018 INGO AK Build Party - May 19, 2018 @ Diamond Collision (Avon, IN)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2018
    Muncie
    I'll be there! :rockwoot:

May I still use your hydraulic press and whatever other tools may be needed to remove the gas block off my WASR 10/63? I believe you mentioned needing a crescent wrench, a slightly oversized pipe, and a penny. Will I need to bring anything other than my parts? I have a romanian gas block from a MD 63 and two spare pins in case any of them are ruined during the removal/installation of the front sight and gas block.

I have never done this before so I am unfamiliar with the process and lack the required tools. It will be exciting to learn how the removal and installation of a gas block and front sight works. Also to be able to get hands on experience while being guided by the people who know it best is priceless, and much better in my opinion than having it wait on a gunsmiths bench until I get a call back to go pick it up without having learned anything. Although that is rather convenient in its own ways; there's just something about learning how to do it yourself that is very rewarding. Especially having been passed down from one gun owner to another so the knowledge will be forever given and received throughout further generations.

Thank you for putting this event together. :smileak:

Last edited:

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I always bring my hydraulic press. I'll have various wrenches and other tools as well. The main thing I ask people to bring are their own drill bits since those get used up.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I also am able to assist with some shop tools and a mill for drilling and misc odds and ends

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I am here and open so anytime people want to start showing up is fine

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Just got home from the build party. Thanks to Allen for being kind enough to host this at his shop. And, for all the help he gives all of us with his gunsmithing skills. Also, big Thanks to TheWabbit for bringing his tools and knowledge for all of us to share. People like Allen and TW are what makes this a great community.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Always good to hear Allen is working on something other than one of my cars.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Thanks to everyone for coming out. I wish we had more tools available to use. We definitely needed a Toth tool and another press. Hopefully we can work that out for the next event.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008

Wish i would have taken more pictures... literally just took the one. Thanks again for another awesome party! Ill post picks of my build in a bit. Lets see those build pics people!

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thanks for coming, It was good to see some familar faces and meet new members also

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I attended the build party and I was able to finish the most difficult parts of the the build before the time was up. I should be able finish the process on my own. I appreciate the effort AllenM, TheWabbit and everyone else who committed to make the build party successful.

The only suggestion to the people who had difficulty installing the barrels is to bring a few pounds of dry ice to chill and shrink the barrel shank before pressing it in.

If you are interested, I am the old guy who was there.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    Was just thinking now would be the time to start getting kits/supplies together. I'd be happy to pay admission for myself and my son. I know aim surplus had galil receivers/kits on sale. Would assume they use similar/same building equipment.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Was just thinking now would be the time to start getting kits/supplies together. I'd be happy to pay admission for myself and my son. I know aim surplus had galil receivers/kits on sale. Would assume they use similar/same building equipment.

Yes and no....galil while it shares alot in common with an ak they build more like a inch model FAL.... barrels need to indexed and timed in order to be properly headspaced and often require ether shims or lathe to be headspaced....... However tortort is building reciever now that allow the barrels to be press in and pinned (and build identical to a AK use .223 ak barrels). Ive built two now one ARM and one SAR and i have a rough time on my first build due to a poor quality receivers (avoid ORF or AWO receivers at all costs)... Stick with CNC warrior or tortort

Top Bottom