• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I’m taking the blackout to the range this weekend and working up my dope chart with those 190 grainers.

Then I see no reason not to take it. No matter what you are told, if you put a 190gr 30cal bullet in a coyotes heart, or a 60gr 22 cal bullet in the coyotes heart, the exact same thing will happen to said coyote.

The stuff you hear about yote's is insane. I had a guy seriously debate me in my local gun shop, because he told me the 220 swift was the best yote rifle because the bullet was so fast, it reversed the flow of blood in the yote, and no matter where you hit it, it died instantly. Of course, like any responsible citizen, I gave him the "Just say no to crack" lecture, and he got mad over me trying to be nice.:rolleyes:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Then I see no reason not to take it. No matter what you are told, if you put a 190gr 30cal bullet in a coyotes heart, or a 60gr 22 cal bullet in the coyotes heart, the exact same thing will happen to said coyote.

Lol. I intend to make at least one example out of the .30 cal

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Go with the 300 blackout. I have never been all that impressed with the 5.56 performance on coyotes. My hunting partner shoots/hunts with a 5.56 (72gr bullet), and I have seen him shoot coyotes where they spin around like they are hit, and then run off never to be found, and after reading Rookie's experience with .223/5.56........coyotes being hit and not found, I'm convinced that .223/5.56 might not be the best caliber for coyotes. Personally I shoot a 22-250, and have never lost one after being shot, but it's not like I have killed a lot of coyotes.....about half dozen in the last year since I took up coyote hunting.

My next build will be a 6.5 Grendel with thermal. :D

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Go with the 300 blackout. I have never been all that impressed with the 5.56 performance on coyotes. My hunting partner shoots/hunts with a 5.56 (72gr bullet), and I have seen him shoot coyotes where they spin around like they are hit, and then run off never to be found, and after reading Rookies experience with .223/5.56........coyotes being hit and not found, I'm convinced that .223/5.56 might not be the best caliber for coyotes. Personally I shoot a 22-250, and have never lost one after being shot, but it's not like I have killed a lot of coyotes.....about half dozen in the last year since I took up coyote hunting.

My next build will be a 6.5 Grendel with thermal. :D

I dropped a yote in its tracks north of 500 yards with a 556, 69gr SMK to the heart. Its definitely not the best option, but it works.

I do agree, that my next project is a 6.5 grendal with 85gr sierra HP bullets for my thermal.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I really want to run 85-90 grain bullets, but I can't find any. This summer, I'm hoping to get some made and see how they shoot. For now, I'm using 123 grain SST with success.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I really want to run 85-90 grain bullets, but I can't find any. This summer, I'm hoping to get some made and see how they shoot. For now, I'm using 123 grain SST with success.

If I were you I wouldn't change a thing until summer.

A wise NRA highpower legend (Our own Lilratt) once told me "there is no such thing as a good idea the night before a match". That's literally some of the best advise I've gotten in my entire life. It applies to most parts of life, not only hunting/shooting.

Wait until the summer lull.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yeah, I'm not changing anything until summer. My plan is to work with someone to develop a load with a lighter bullet. I'm hoping to stretch my POA to 250 or more without having to worry about bullet drop.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    2luc7tf.jpg

Top Bottom