• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    Sat all day 11-14-19. Saw a doe at 0730. That was all I have seen. So far in 2 weeks I have 9 days in stand. I'm pulling the hours just not seeing the bucks. I also have 3 cams out. Alot of does and small bucks on them

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Sat all day 11-14-19. Saw a doe at 0730. That was all I have seen. So far in 2 weeks I have 9 days in stand. I'm pulling the hours just not seeing the bucks. I also have 3 cams out. Alot of does and small bucks on them

Same here. I pulled out early today (left at 1030), but in the last 7 days Ive been in stand roughly 60 hours. I havent seen anything to get excited about.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I think you might be misreading his post, or I'm misreading yours. He is not saying the start is november 15th (gun season is november 16th) he is saying the largest % of does are hot November 15th. Gun season on the 16th would be the start of the downward slope.

While I agree with his theory, IMO the peak of the bell curve is typically a little before the 15th. IMO its November 8th/9th, but we are splitting hairs. Temperatures have no effect on the rut. They do have effect on how much of the rut we see vs how much happens in the middle of the night.

Something to keep in mind when dealing with the rut. Just because you see a 1.5 year old running does all over, doesnt mean she is quite ready. I've seen little guys chasing October 1st. They dont quite know what that thing is for, they just know they want to use it.

Something else to keep in mind, peek breeding does not coincide with peak buck activity. During the absolute peak of breeding when the most does are in estrous and being bred, you are not likely to see nearly as much buck activity as previous days since a large percentage of the older bucks will be locked down with receptive does and not moving much for a 48 hour period. Typically, most of the buck activity at this time will be younger deer. Peak buck activity typically occurs a week or so prior to peak breeding activity.

I have trail cam pictures of newborn fawns in the middle of August and last Saturday saw 2 fawn nursing.

Not all does are bred the first time and will continue to cycle for a few months or until they are. Also, many of the doe fawns born in a given year will come into estrous for the first time in December leading to later fawn births.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I had quite an entertaining hunt yesterday morning, it was by far the best hunt of the year so far. It started with an obviously hot doe bedding down about 60 yards away and a 4.5+ year old 6 point standing guard over her for an hour. During that hour I watched a fawn(presumably, of the bedded doe) doing every known and some seemingly new variations of doe and fawn bleats and a 1.5 year old buck try to circle around the older buck to get to the doe. The youngster was cutoff by the older buck at every turn before the old buck eventually had enough on about the 4th attempt and ran the younger buck off. The doe got up not long after the young buck ran off and both her and the older buck wondered off.

Unfortunately, that was probably the buck I least wanted to see since he is old enough to meet my personal criteria of a shooter but also the smallest mature buck on the property as a big 6 pointer. I may regret passing him up since he was the first mature buck I've seen all year but I'm hoping for a chance at one of the bigger mature bucks I have on my trail cams. If I still have an unfilled tag by muzzleloader season and see him again he probably won't be quite as lucky.

backpacker05

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2019
    Noblesville
    I've only been out a few times as I hunt up in northern Michigan and only travel up there on the weekends. I haven't harvested anything as of yet but my brother has a doe and a buck and my Dad has a bow. All taken from the same property. Off to a pretty good start so far hoping the colder weather and the snow gets them up and moving.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Saw a doe and two bucks following her this evening. One a decent 120" dark antlered 8 and the other a small scraper.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    So far this yr.....18 hrs in stand. Eight different deer seen.....seen them more than once. Medium 8, small 8, forky and an ugly 3 pt. Two does (one big) and two fawns. Who knows what will visit tomorrow.

Last yr we saw three deer in first 4 days of gun. Bud shot a 9 and I shot an 8

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Windy and no sun here, very few shots heard, nothing is moving even the squirrels. Shared a tree with a hawk that wasn't having any better luck that I was.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Saw a forky, a doe and three fawns.
    Plus one other I dunno what it was.

Buddy on other side saw 9 diff deer.............the medium 8, the ugly three, a diff forky and 2 does and 4 fawns.

No yotes.

Heard about 20 shots, most around 8:30

Top Bottom