• ...and so much more!
  • ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    Bonus tags

Took my first every deer this year. 10 pointer! The first day ever deer hunting so I think i'm doing pretty good. Got him Sunday after opening morning. Kid has been sick so its put a damper on most other deer hunting. Hoping he feels better and I can fill my tags.

Does anyone know if i can use bonus antlerless in yellowood/hoosier national/morgan monroe forests? Also can I do the bonus season at the end of the year there too? You can use bonus antlerless tags in any county up to the quota per county. Go to DNR website. Quotas in the Dnr handbook have been amended to lower numbers... And yes you can use antlerless tags during the doe only season

Thanks,

Tyler View attachment 81851
    Yes you can. Look on the DNR website, numbers in the DNR handbook have been amended. You can use bonus tags in any county up to the counties quota. And yes you can use antlerless bonus tags during the antlerless season.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Been a slow year this year, have seen very few deer at all. I hear very few shots when I'm out relative to other years.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Last hurrah for my Contender tomorrow.
    Specialty pistols are cool/fun..........but I'm too cranky to run the "in between" stuff.
    Hunted yesterday morning and decided I'm more of a rifle or revolver guy.

Primary rig next yr will be my tried and true Remington 760 (w 4X Leupold).
    For antlerless...............an iron sighted Remington 14 :)

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Well this kick in the nuts season just turned around. My 7yr old popped a button buck last night. Tonight after the rain let up I went out and shot a nice 10 pointer at 267 yds with the 6.5 Creedmoor.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Love seeing all the pictures. One day ill get out and get a deer. (Had a few back surgeries) so that limits my goals. Hopefully only short term.

gatorgrip47331

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2018
    US
    Was fortunate to take this big brute this year.

76634282_10217364870607269_6232027649921777664_n.jpg
    Very nice!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

gatorgrip47331

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2018
    US
    I'm on the tail end of my 3 week vacation and I've put 2 down. Put 1 doe down on opening morning around 9am. She was the only deer I seen that day and I sat from 7am-6pm. The next few days were a little rough with questionable weather, very little deer movement and 80 acres of unpicked corn (it's still in the field as of today). Took a break starting midday Wednesday through Sunday. Loaded up yesterday morning prepping to hunt hard for the next 3-5 days. Where I wanted to hunt on our property we don't have a stand. It is elevated so it's not needed but a stand would still be nice. I had a 5 minute walk to get where I wanted to go. Once I got to my location I took a drink, hit the grunt call a little aggressively and within 3 minutes I seen movement. Could tell it was a decent buck and hit the grunt again. I could pretty much predict his path and waited for him to hit a good opening before taking my shot. I stopped him with the "meh" sound and sent it. He was slightly quartering towards me so I put the crosshair on the front portion of his shoulder and hit him good with the 6.8SPC Hornady American Gunner 110gr BTHP. Both deer were left lung/heart shots and both ran 30-40 yards before crashing. Within 10 minutes of arriving at my spot yesterday I had my buck on the ground. Had him retrieved and field dressed before it got dark too. Retrieving him was no easy task either. If the corn would've been out it wouldn't have been a big deal. I passed on a smaller buck early last week in the same area mainly due to the fact that retrieval would not be easy. If I was going to shoot one there I wanted the hassle to be worth it. He's a main frame 10 with a crab claw making 11 and 2 abnormal points growing off the back of his left antler making 13...I still just call him a 10. He has some other various junk around his bases.
    ANiHyt9.jpg

cfwH4S3.jpg

8koJ35Z.jpg

hAZylfe.jpg
    Very nice, good job!

gatorgrip47331

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2018
    US
    Shot a doe two weeks ago with crossbow. Didn't see anything on opening weekend. But Sunday morning I took two of my grandkids along to show them what deer hunting was like. They lasted an hour before the cold set in so we went back to truck to warm up. While sitting in the truck this buck stopped by to look at us. After he disappeared over the hill my grandson and myself got out and went to look over the hill to see where he was. I was fumbling around trying to get the gun loaded as we were walking and managed to get two rounds in . The buck was heading downhill at a slow walk about 60 yards away from us heading towards the woods. I found him in the scope and put a 158 .357 xtp thru him from right rear to left front. He left a great blood trail and only went 75 yards. I let the grandkids track him to just inside the edge of the woods where he expired. It was an awesome experience having them with me and helping out. This was their first deer hunt and they loved it. Next year I plan on taking them out in youth season when it's not so cold.
    View attachment 81776
    Wow that's awesome that looks like a Marlin 1894c in 357 Magnum. I have that gun as well and my boy who is now 13 used it to take his second deer during Youth Season.
    63f7d6c00f4c82f219ecff2f65ba003d.jpg

gatorgrip47331

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2018
    US
    Hit one Wednesday but not injured enough to slow down or leave a blood trail. Tracked for 1.5 hours with no success. 50+ yard shot with a crossbow.
    72985540_10220289564608059_4684810632665497600_n.jpg
    Same thing happened to me during bow season. I think I hit the shoulder, the doe fell down and got up and ran off and I lost the blood trail.
    541e2fae26396a5bb5a40229eb43ff21.jpg
    269aee6cb5c77cfff06d101cfca605f7.jpg
    c663f7f8ac0cef53b494e1427031857a.jpg

gatorgrip47331

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2018
    US
    attachment.php

I had a good morning today. I missed this deer two weeks ago when i shot right over his back at 18 yards. Today I was on the same stand when he presented a shot on the exact spot he was standing on when I missed him but this time everything went perfectly. He was recovered, dressed and loaded before the rain started! It ia also my best deer ever with a bow.
    That's a very nice, old deer

gatorgrip47331

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2018
    US
    My youngest daughter killed her best buck to date. She shot it Friday night and hit it square in the shoulder. We found the arrow about 100 yards later and with minimal blood we backed out. Saturday we went looking and found him piled up not 20 yards from where we called off the search the night before. She was thrilled beyond belief. She heads off to college next fall so hunting will be put on hold for the most part as she pursues a medical career. It has been a crazy fun ride watching my girls grow up with hunting coursing through their blood.

qR58evq.jpg
    Very nice, congratulations!

gatorgrip47331

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2018
    US
    My hunting partner killed his all time best buck a week ago Saturday, he measured out a tic under 170".

FrkXC31h.jpg

I killed my buck at last light on Wednesday evening. He had come through an hour before and I let him walk. We thought he'd circled around us and walked back across the field where he originally came from but that must have been a different one. He came back out right at last light and he looked bigger in the body and rack than we both thought so I took the shot. 47 yards with the crossbow and hit a few inches left of there I wanted. Went through both front legs near the shoulder and I believe it nicked his heart. He made is about 100yds.

62ksgUFh.jpg
    A couple of nice ones right there!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I dunno what my little one would score.....broken tine, some mass.
    Kinda fooler.
    Didn't put any tape to it, for spread or anything. Didn't even dig for my bullet.

phhUZJQ.jpg

Will run it to Graber at Wild Indiana in a month and a half and see what he comes up with.
    I can get em pretty close, tend to under measure though, doing it at home.
    Is at taxi for euro mount, so can't even do that :(

Only front view pic I have.

Think he'd have made P&Y if I'd gotten him earlier LOL
    (may have been the one that came in on me while I was about to stand, well before legal light- remember seeing the dark over eye, a little different than other deer, pronounced).
    Was a week before gun.

Last edited:

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    Was asked by a friend to go to Atterbury with him a week from saturday. I seem to never get drawn. I have only been to Atterbury once, he has never been. Anyone got any positive input on an area to try? Thx in advance.

Top Bottom