• 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    In other news:
    HB 1284 (Jim Lucas, Self-Defense Civil Liability immunity) passed the House on an 80-13 vote yesterday. Picked up three Senate sponsors including Senator Tomes.

HB 1643 (Ben Smaltz, combo church carry/new definition of school property/free lifetime LTCH/5-year NICS exempt LTCH/other stuff about voting) is in Ways and Means

HB 1651 (strengthens protections in Laird Law) added an amendment making PDs liable for damage/loss to confiscated firearms. Passed House 68-25 yesterday.

No other bills on our scope are up for hearings this week.

:yesway:

What does it look like in the senate?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    :yesway:

What does it look like in the senate?

The chairs are much more comfortable and the podiums are bigger ;)

Seriously though BF, I'm just a statistician with people skills and not a lot of inside-baseball knowledge. I think 1284 will clear the hurdles. I try no to get too high or too low on anything. I just keep cranking e-mails, show up down there when I can, just keep trying to move the sticks.

asipes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Central Indiana
    HB1643 as currently written says "religious ceremony conducted at a house of worship". Why not allow the carry at church-schools for all NON-school events. I would rather not leave "religious ceremony conducted at a house of worship" interpretation up to debate for events at a church that may not be considered "religious ceremonies".

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    HB1643 as currently written says "religious ceremony conducted at a house of worship". Why not allow the carry at church-schools for all NON-school events. I would rather not leave "religious ceremony conducted at a house of worship" interpretation up to debate for events at a church that may not be considered "religious ceremonies".

My guess is this was an attempt to improve on last year's SB 33 (Houses of Worship and Firearms, very similar to SB 88 this year.) The definition of school property change is a major step. I'm still shocked this came out of the Public Policy committee on a 13-0 vote.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    11 Feb Education Committee hearing archive video link is below. I highly recommend skipping ahead to the 1:00:00 mark. The discussion over amendments to a bill about selling off school building made me want to stab myself in the ear with an ice pick.

Too many speakers to time hack all of them. The HB 1253 thread from 64-70 has most of them listed in the sequence they testified.

1:00:00: Jim Lucas going over the bill and amendments. he covers the timelines of Sandy Hook and Parkland towards the end

1:39:00: Coach (wearing a tie!!)

2:22:30: Dee Dee Bailey from League of Women Voters. You can skip ahead, Coach and I couldn't. Jim asks questions beginning at about 2:29:00. At 2:35:35 she says she out shot the entire Cleveland, Tennessee Police Department. At that point I turned to Coach and asked, "Both of them?"

2:40:20: Me

2:44:40: IU's own Jody Maderia. Skip to 2:48:50 when Jim asks questions. The exchange around 2:50:50 is worth watching. The video doesn't capture the narcissism required to dismiss an armed citizen saving the life of a DNR Officer because "it happens rarely".

2:52:30: Jay County School Superintendent. One of three schools in the state that has firearms accessible by staff in bio-metric safes.

Archives - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    HB 1643 passed out of the Ways and Means committee on a 16-6 vote. Next stop: House floor.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    So, does this bill give a no-guns policy at a church with a school on its property force of law? Or would it be a trespassing thing like the movie theaters?
    The way I understand it would be the same as a church or any other private property. If told to leave, leave or it's criminal trespass. This changes the definition of school property, to me this has the most impact.

engi-ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2018
    Columbus
    The way I understand it would be the same as a church or any other private property. If told to leave, leave or it's criminal trespass. This changes the definition of school property, to me this has the most impact.

Finally read the actual text...you're right, the change to the definition of school property is awesome. I really hope this goes through! I've already sent my legislators messages asking them to support it. Anything else a lowly citizen can do to help?

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    HB 1651 (now named Judicial Evaluation of Dangerous Individuals; adds protection to current Laird Law) was amended to add more protections and passed out of the House. It has been referred to the Senate. Erin Houchin (R, NRA-ILA A) was added as the sponsor in the Senate. FYI, her husband is the Washington County Prosecutor.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Everything in the House has to have the 3rd reading/floor vote no later than 25 February. HB 1641 (combo free LTCH/Church Carry/redefine school property) is in Ways and Means again today. It cleared one vote there last week, hopefully this one gets it back to the floor.

What passes the House goes through the process again in the Senate. Mid-April for everything to get through and get voted on in the Senate.

I was hoping to see HB 1109 (State Tax Credit for firearms storage costs/certified training) come up in Ways and Means but I'm not holding my breath here on the 19th.

So far some solid bills are going to the Senate: 1284 (self defense immunity); 1651 (strengthens protections under Laird Law); 1253 (Handgun training for Teachers). 1641 should clear Ways and Means and join the others heading towards the Senate.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    Did you read my post that you quoted?

I read through posts on this thread going back a few pages and didn't see it addressed. Also, I went to the latest version on HB1651 and didn't see it there. That's why I asked.

I guess the way I see it is if it doesn't specifically say PDs are also liable for attorney fees, then there would still be the potential for abuse. As opposed to only being liable for the damage/loss of property.

Top Bottom