• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Can someone type out the rules pertaining to the "right and acceptable" means of killing a wild turkey? I'm seeing a whole lot of insults tossed around at the approach some like to take (in spite of the fact that the degree of difficulty far surpasses sitting against a tree and calling). Season starts tomorrow and I don't want to do it wrong like I have been doing in IN, KY, TN & KS for the past several years.

whiskey6gun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I’m new to Indiana, but have hunted around Bloomington a few times. If anyone wants or needs a caller, or someone to show them the ropes, I’d be happy to help. I don’t care about shooting a turkey on your place. Just love getting out and hunting them. I usually hunt 3-4 states per year, but the COVID has me staying home this year. Shoot me a PM if you need some help learning the ropes or just want a caller. I have DSD decoys, blinds, guns in adult and kid sizes if needed as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    hunted American Wild Turkey in:
    MO., IN., WV, VA, PA, SD, OH, FL, TN,
    best hunts in
    MO, WV, PA
    worst hunts in
    SD, merriam turkeys seem dumb compared to easterns.

most difficult hunting in FL, have to hike in sand. compete with bald eagles, great horned owls, bobcats, coyotes and other hunters in dunebuggys.

license, travel & equip costs most hunters could not afford.
    not able to adapt to hunting public lands. or hunting & shooting skills.

All gobblers harvested with shotgun 12ga or 20ga.

did not harvest a bird in OH, VA, & FL

&

no bird was bushwacked, stalked or ambushed.......
    as the gobbler knows EXACTLY where you are when he hears your call. not really sure how merriam webster would list it other than....
    hunting

Last edited:

whiskey6gun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2020
    Indianapolis
    hunted American Wild Turkey in:
    MO., IN., WV, VA, PA, SD, OH, FL, TN,
    best hunts in
    MO, WV, PA
    worst hunts in
    SD, merriam turkeys seem dumb compared to easterns.

most difficult hunting in FL, have to hike in sand. compete with bald eagles, great horned owls, bobcats, coyotes and other hunters in dunebuggys.

license, travel & equip costs most hunters could not afford.
    not able to adapt to hunting public lands. or hunting & shooting skills.

All gobblers harvested with shotgun 12ga or 20ga.

did not harvest a bird in OH, VA, & FL

&

no bird was bushwacked, stalked or ambushed.......
    as the gobbler knows EXACTLY where you are when he hears your call. not really sure how merriam webster would list it other than....
    hunting

Toughest hunting spot I’ve been to is Land Between the Lakes. Took me a few years to close the deal there, and when I final did, it was a double with my hunting partner.

FL was tough too. Mostly cause it was hot and full of cottonmouths.

AL has been a hard one for me too. Mostly because I only hunt it early March before Tennessee opens, and the birds are usually still in large flocks.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    One thing for success......
    hunting public lands in counties if states with high wild turkey numbers.
    The data is available.
    Calling, hunting & shooting skills you need to learn over time....
    It's always fun and the memories last a lifetime.
    good hunting

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    First set was great. We were surrounded by gobblers but as they flew down it turned out to be nothing but jakes. Just got set up in a new spot.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Lots of turkey noise around at sunrise. Couple hens checked out decoys across farm. Got quiet in last hour.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Can someone type out the rules pertaining to the "right and acceptable" means of killing a wild turkey? I'm seeing a whole lot of insults tossed around at the approach some like to take (in spite of the fact that the degree of difficulty far surpasses sitting against a tree and calling). Season starts tomorrow and I don't want to do it wrong like I have been doing in IN, KY, TN & KS for the past several years.

Assuming one is following the DNR rules for turkey hunting, I haven’t heard much debate on what constitutes poor sport. I believe if you’re following the published rules, you’re doing it right, even if it’s different than my approach. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

You buy a license/stamp, go twang or bang within the legal hours of hunting, on ground you have permission to be, the bird dies quick and you do applicable check-in/tagging.
    ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Personally, I'd prefer to call a bird in.
    But if it aint working it aint working.

Adapt and overcome.

If sneaking up turkeys was so easy, they wouldn't sell turkey calls.

Park on a known travel route .....well they might not use it, or even be nearby.
    Its just a general type of thing, better than sitting where you know they aint LOL

If a purist wants to only call in birds so be it.

IMHO if truly an elitist, they'd shoot em w a bow, no deke, called in, and no blind.
    I tried it on a good spot, one season.
    Never even heard a gobble. Never saw one bird.

Said screw it and went shotgun the next yr. Same place. Had three toms fly down opening morning and blasted mine at 30 yards, called in.

Turkeys............they do whatever the hell they want.

You kill a bird legal ....called, deke or no deke, sneak up or just blast one walking by................bow or gun, it's all good.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Wet n cold, muddy maybe, stickers, ivy...........staying low and going slow, to sneak up on a bird.

Bet a lot of camo clad folks don't have the drive/discipline to earn a bird by that method.

It is way more easy and comfy to sit leaning against a tree and call em to you.

Watch the YT vids of the good guys, that gung ho creepy crawly ****...........is being done by younger folks LOL.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Had a bird just read the playbook perfect this morning. Came running from 200 yds to 20. I had belly crawled to a log, and started calling. At 20 yds the bird stopped, stuck his head up, and waited for me to shoot him.

The log was literally the very best rest I've even had in a hunting situation. I pulled the trigger knowing it was a done deal, and hear "click" At some point in my crawl, I must have slightly opened up the slide because I saw it slide forward locking into position. He didn't like the "click", he wasn't sticking around for me running the action. Oh well, that's hunting, my partner killed one, and we had a blast. There is a lot of season left, but all told, we saw 6 toms, so I'm not to stressed about it.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    My cousin's boys both killed nice gobblers in the Youth season. May have been the two that have been on my drive last week. Haven't had a strutter this week. Just hens picking dandelions.

deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Opening day and done at 7:10am. 20200422_071128.jpg
    I have never shot a Tom before, that I called in myself. So this one was extra special! I talked to him for about 30-40 minutes before this Tom and another one, farther out, started heading my way. I had a Flakey Jake decoy out and that Tom came in from around 1/4 mile away, running at 1st, and then strutted the rest of the way until he tasted dirt, but not before he danced around my decoy. LOL! I wish I had it on video.
    24lbs, 12" beard, & 1"spurs.

Thanking God for this great blessing!

whiskey6gun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Opening day and done at 7:10am. View attachment 86478
    I have never shot a Tom before, that I called in myself. So this one was extra special! I talked to him for about 30-40 minutes before this Tom and another one, farther out, started heading my way. I had a Flakey Jake decoy out and that Tom came in from around 1/4 mile away, running at 1st, and then strutted the rest of the way until he tasted dirt, but not before he danced around my decoy. LOL! I wish I had it on video.
    24lbs, 12" beard, & 1"spurs.

Thanking God for this great blessing!

Congratulations

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Congrats to all that have a bird so far. It’s been a long slow day in the rain, but still beats being at work. Unless something happens in next hour or so, I’ll be back at it tomorrow!

Top Bottom