• Status
    Not open for further replies.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Protip for you guys probing your pork butts at the start. Meat won't take on smoke after 6hrs. No pork butt will be at desired temp in just 6hrs. Prep the butt and throw in the smoker. Pull it after 5-6hrs. Wrap in foil. Put probe in. Put in oven at 250. Pull when butt hits 205. Therefore you save on fuel, charcoal, and wood

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Protip for you guys probing your pork butts at the start. Meat won't take on smoke after 6hrs. No pork butt will be at desired temp in just 6hrs. Prep the butt and throw in the smoker. Pull it after 5-6hrs. Wrap in foil. Put probe in. Put in oven at 250. Pull when butt hits 205. Therefore you save on fuel, charcoal, and wood

Foil?

Pure heresy!

No wrap or butcher paper!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I do not wrap to stop the meat from taking on smoke. I wrap to get it through the stall. I don't do it by time, I do it when it gets in the 140-150° range. That's why I probe.

I absolutely hate heating up the house with the oven also, very little chance of me finishing it in the house.

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Fuel is fuel, and electricity is pretty dang expensive right now. Also, my Traeger has tighter temperature control than my oven, particularly in the 200 - 250F range. Also, I smoked it overnight. I was asleep at 6 hours.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I do not wrap to stop the meat from taking on smoke. I wrap to get it through the stall. I don't do it by time, I do it when it gets in the 140-150° range. That's why I probe.

I absolutely hate heating up the house with the oven also, very little chance of me finishing it in the house.
    A slow cooker/Crock Pot is a good alternative for finishing a pork butt.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    20220929_172556.jpg

Beef with salt / pepper + Worcheshire sauce

3 pepper "bold" Colby (Boar's Head)

Garden tomatoes, onions, lettuce, avacado (not from a garden, probably)

Toasted onion buns

Restaurants can't compete when my wife and I team up. She preps, I grill and toast.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    So...talking with a buddy about how I am thinking about smoking a whole packer, but don't need that much brisket right now.

He says he takes the brisket and cuts it into fourths, cooks one fourth and freezes the others. Then he pulls others out as needed and smokes them.

Really? It seems like it would not cook up the same with fat/meat ratios being off.

Has anybody tried this?

Would you consider trying this?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So...talking with a buddy about how I am thinking about smoking a whole packer, but don't need that much brisket right now.

He says he takes the brisket and cuts it into fourths, cooks one fourth and freezes the others. Then he pulls others out as needed and smokes them.

Really? It seems like it would not cook up the same with fat/meat ratios being off.

Has anybody tried this?

I'd be willing to consider you trying it and letting us know. :D

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg

Has anybody tried this?

I just bought 2 briskets tonight from JayC on sale. Cut both of them before freezing. I cut where the flat ends and the point begins. When I'm ready to have brisket I just grab whichever half I'm feeling like having. The flat is leaner than the point. I've done this before and turns out just fine. I don't see a reason why you couldn't cut it into 4ths

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom