Not open for further replies.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I'm doing the inaugural smoke on my new Smokey Mountain today. It was running hot so I had to shut off all the air to get it down to 250 and I'm shooting for 225. I think I used too many hot coals to start. It'll be a learning process.

View attachment 189492

You may find running a Smokey Mountain, or something similar, takes a bit of time and patience...but you gain skills.

I liken it to way back when I learned to drive... everything was manual.

Once you learn how it works, you find the rhythm in it...and it all comes together.

Controlling temp on a Smokey Mountain is not instant. It is not an auto pilot. It is a good measure of figuring out fuel, air, and throttle.

I've been kicking around the idea of doing a home made barrel smoker...just to see what I have learned.

(No offense to those smoking with an electric pellet grill, Big Green Egg, or not yet learned on how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission...they will all get you to your destination, but you may miss much of the journey).

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Getting the fire on the Weber kettle ready for some steaks.

LOVE the Weber Kettle grill.

After I learned how to to get charcoal going, I soon figured out I could fire one up in about the same time as a gas grill.

I realized today that I have a nice Weber gas grill....that I have not fired up in at least 5 years.

You know why "old school" stuff is still around?

Because it works...and works VERY well!

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    These slabs were big and meaty and the bones started falling out when I took them off the Smokey Mtn. I never made ribs that came apart this easy before. That big water pan really puts out some steam at 250-260F. It settled down when I got the temp down to 225F. I put them in foil for 2.5 hrs after 2 hours in the smoke and then finished them unwrapped for 30 minutes to dry them up a little.

I'm wondering if most people use the water pan.

I have a lot to learn with this smoker but thought it went well for the first time. I would love to hear your tips and suggestions if you are so inclined.

IMG_0691.jpg

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    These slabs were big and meaty and the bones started falling out when I took them off the Smokey Mtn. I never made ribs that came apart this easy before. That big water pan really puts out some steam at 250-260F. It settled down when I got the temp down to 225F. I put them in foil for 2.5 hrs after 2 hours in the smoke and then finished them unwrapped for 30 minutes to dry them up a little.

I'm wondering if most people use the water pan.

I have a lot to learn with this smoker but thought it went well for the first time. I would love to hear your tips and suggestions if you are so inclined.

View attachment 189570

Looks like they came out well....the 3-2-1 method works.

How did they taste?

I always use the water pan. I do not do it so much for any steam as I do it to insulate the racks from the heat and to keep the rack temp low.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Pro Tip:

If you ever decide to smoke a brisket when it is about 15 degrees out, the water bowl will freeze when the smoker is shut down.....and it makes clean up a friggin snap!!

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County

How did they taste?

I always use the water pan. I do not do it so much for any steam as I do it to insulate the racks from the heat and to keep the rack temp low.
    They were good. The family liked them a lot and that's the best indicator.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    They were good. The family liked them a lot and that's the best indicator.

An even better indicator is when something doesn't turn out well and they tell you!

My youngest is very polite...everything was always "good". I intentionally made some stuff poorly just to test her...."It's good" she said..."If you cannot call that what it is, how can I trust your judgement?"

Great conversations ensued. Today she is the most honest and critical one.

Keep experimenting and keep figuring it out....some great fun and great lessons to be had!

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    You may find running a Smokey Mountain, or something similar, takes a bit of time and patience...but you gain skills.

I liken it to way back when I learned to drive... everything was manual.

Once you learn how it works, you find the rhythm in it...and it all comes together.

Controlling temp on a Smokey Mountain is not instant. It is not an auto pilot. It is a good measure of figuring out fuel, air, and throttle.

I've been kicking around the idea of doing a home made barrel smoker...just to see what I have learned.

(No offense to those smoking with an electric pellet grill, Big Green Egg, or not yet learned on how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission...they will all get you to your destination, but you may miss much of the journey).
    As someone who uses a homebuilt barrel smoker, I would say that if you do be prepared for it to use a lot of fuel. We used to have a lot of parties and it was nice because I made it to use 2 Weber 22" grates so it can do a lot of food. Now that we don't have that many get togethers it is way overkill most of the time.

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    Meat Church Holy Voodoo
    Suckle Buster honey hog
    Malcolm Reed The BBQ Rub

Cooked to 155° IT then covered in BBQ sauce and finished to 165°. Spread bacon bits and cheddar jack cheese then back on for about 5 minutes so the cheese was melted…. All 3 rubs were delicious, and of course lumberjack competition blend pellets.

5941c89589329c2077952fbb71f9d0f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug28450

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hobart

How did they taste?

Same here, 3-2-1 and always have water in the pan.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    LOVE the Weber Kettle grill.

After I learned how to to get charcoal going, I soon figured out I could fire one up in about the same time as a gas grill.

I realized today that I have a nice Weber gas grill....that I have not fired up in at least 5 years.

You know why "old school" stuff is still around?

Because it works...and works VERY well!
    Big Red School A novice on how you start you Charcoal so quick I am using a weber chimney and fuel pellets they work good but still takes time

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Big Red School A novice on how you start you Charcoal so quick I am using a weber chimney and fuel pellets they work good but still takes time
    When I ran a Weber, I used an electric charcoal starter like this...

Y954G5Hl.jpg

I could have a burger cooking fire in 15 minutes.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

I just use a charcoal chimney with newspaper stuffed in the bottom.

If you're just doing something quick, you do not need to fill the entire chimney with charcoal. A smaller batch will get fired up more quickly.

I can usually be ready to go in 15 or less

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I use a Weber chimney with either the fuel cubes or a paper towel soaked with a little vegetable oil. 15 minutes for a half chimney full or about 25 minutes if filled up. I use the 25 minutes to drink beer and get everything ready.

Last edited:

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    I use a Weber chimney with either the fuel cubes or a paper towel soaked with a little vegetable oil. 15 minutes for a half chimney full or about 25 minutes if filled up. I use the 25 minutes to drink beer and get everything ready.
    bill2905
    I like the paper towel idea. You use 1 paper towel for a full chimney?
    I went to Fuel cube because newspaper smelled so bad

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom