Not open for further replies.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    OK, time for a new thermometer. I burned mine up.
    Saturday night as I was grilling smoked sausages I looked below the burners and saw the charred bits were bubbling. I thought to myself, it is probably time to clean out the grill before I have a flareup.

Sunday night I throw a spatchcocked chicken in the smoker for a couple hours, then onto the grill to finish the cook. It wasnt too hot. bird in the very center with the center burner on low, and the two outside burners on high for semi-indirect heat.
    I take the wireless receiver downstairs to my office at 140* or so. I have PLENTY of time.

I was down there about 15 minutes and look over at the receiver. Its not getting a signal. transmitter's battery must be low.

As I am walking up the stairs, the alarm starts beeping on the remote. I look down and the temp reads "HHH". :poop:!

I sprint out the back door and lift the lid. Bird is black as the ace of spades. And the charred bits in the bottom are now mostly gone and dry as a bone. The oil in the bits, being added to by the chicken drippings reached critical and ignited, destroying $10 worth of bird (inside temps only made it to 147*) and $40 worth of thermometer. :xmad: It destroyed the probe wire because it was still reading HHH as I held the probe in my bare hands 5 minutes later. Its a cheap chinese unit that uses proprietary probes (already tried reusing another probe) and you cant buy just probes.

So whatcha all using?

EDIT: I had the bluetooth one from Weber. I really liked the charting feature, but range SUCKED. I think I only could get 30-40' out of it. (kitchen or living room. couldnt go 60' down to my office.)
    We picked up this one about a year ago and I like it quite a bit. Accurate and decent range at least in and around our house.
    Amazon product ASIN B08K2G5Y78

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    OK, time for a new thermometer. I burned mine up.
    Saturday night as I was grilling smoked sausages I looked below the burners and saw the charred bits were bubbling. I thought to myself, it is probably time to clean out the grill before I have a flareup.

Sunday night I throw a spatchcocked chicken in the smoker for a couple hours, then onto the grill to finish the cook. It wasnt too hot. bird in the very center with the center burner on low, and the two outside burners on high for semi-indirect heat.
    I take the wireless receiver downstairs to my office at 140* or so. I have PLENTY of time.

I was down there about 15 minutes and look over at the receiver. Its not getting a signal. transmitter's battery must be low.

As I am walking up the stairs, the alarm starts beeping on the remote. I look down and the temp reads "HHH". :poop:!

I sprint out the back door and lift the lid. Bird is black as the ace of spades. And the charred bits in the bottom are now mostly gone and dry as a bone. The oil in the bits, being added to by the chicken drippings reached critical and ignited, destroying $10 worth of bird (inside temps only made it to 147*) and $40 worth of thermometer. :xmad: It destroyed the probe wire because it was still reading HHH as I held the probe in my bare hands 5 minutes later. Its a cheap chinese unit that uses proprietary probes (already tried reusing another probe) and you cant buy just probes.

So whatcha all using?

EDIT: I had the bluetooth one from Weber. I really liked the charting feature, but range SUCKED. I think I only could get 30-40' out of it. (kitchen or living room. couldnt go 60' down to my office.)
    Been looking at that meater ever since it was posted in this thread lol

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I feel your pain. I’m the same way about overcooked fried eggs. Can’t stand how they get the texture of literal hard plastic where they overcook.
    I make the wife do fried eggs. I can't stand if the whites are runny. Reminds me of....well I won't say it here, so I always ended over-cooking the yolks. Wife gets it perfect everytime

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    No pics but did pot roast In the Ninja foodi today. Been nothing but rain and cold all day.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Next time, rip that pop up tester out and replace it with a probe thermometer. Those things pop at overcooked. Cook until 160 and let carry until 165.
    And just do the whole damn bird. Breasts are a ripoff. Unless the pricing dynamic is flipped outside of the month of Nov.

I was going to do a breast only at Thanksgiving once because my mom was the only one that wanted Turkey. The rest of my fam only eats turkey because they have to. They prefer hams, chicken, ribs, etc.

I looked and it was like $15-20 for JUST a half breast. It was like $5-7 to buy a small turkey and still get the same amount of breast meat and either cook the whole damn thing or remove the breast myself. (I chose the former)

Then again, if you can afford it, and dont care, you do you. :thumbsup:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Next time, rip that pop up tester out and replace it with a probe thermometer. Those things pop at overcooked. Cook until 160 and let carry until 165.
    Agreed 100% on the popup/probe. And on that temp for dark meat. But I go a good bit lower for white meat. I pull it at 145 and give it a 20 minute rest.

And just do the whole damn bird. Breasts are a ripoff. Unless the pricing dynamic is flipped outside of the month of Nov.

I was going to do a breast only at Thanksgiving once because my mom was the only one that wanted Turkey. The rest of my fam only eats turkey because they have to. They prefer hams, chicken, ribs, etc.

I looked and it was like $15-20 for JUST a half breast. It was like $5-7 to buy a small turkey and still get the same amount of breast meat and either cook the whole damn thing or remove the breast myself. (I chose the former)

With the specials they run for Thanksgiving can't beat the price for a whole bird. And other times of the year it's still sometimes(usually?) cheaper than buying just the breast. But if you're lucky you can sometimes get a deal on the breasts just after Thanksgiving. I've a couple left in the deep freeze that I picked up for about $.25 a lb. I think I've still got 3 or 4 whole birds also. Probably pull one out and put it on the grill next week or the week after.

Last edited:

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County

90% of the time it is just 2 of us eating. at our house and if we cooked a whole turkey afetr about 3 meals we would be tired of it then it would frozen.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom