• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I was going to do some ribs in the smoker. My smoker is an electric smoker, I've had it for a few years now. I couldn't get the smoker to start up. So off to Char-Broil's website I go to order parts to fix it. So my next project will be to tear it apart and replace parts.

If that doesn't work, it will be time to go to a new type of smoker.

I also have to build the cheap new gas grill that I bought from an auction for $50.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Anyone want to guess where I got these?

View attachment 297246

Two USDA Certified Prime 14oz NY Strips.

View attachment 297250
    Marinated in some Kinders brown sugar rub and olive oil. Now what I'm about to do to these steaks, some on here may call sacrilegious, but when you eat grilled steak more often than most people, sometimes a different flavor is a nice change. View attachment 297253
    Pan seared on each side for about 4 minutes on high heat with butter and olive oil infused with garlic and rosemary rested and then seared again for about two minutes to finish. Pan roasted potatoes and broiled parmesan/lemon pepper asparagus. Now some may think it's ruined.

View attachment 297266

View attachment 297256

It most certainly is not. Perfect rare/medium rare and a crispy charred crust. Delicious.
    Not sure its the way I would have done it, but it still looks pretty dang good.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    IMG_2057.jpeg

These two were bribed in MeatChurch Bird Bath overnight then got a healthy sprinkle of the Texas Sugar before going in the Green Mountain Grill at 275 until they hit 165 internal. There were no leftovers so I guess they were good…. Was kinda hoping to take the remains and make chicken salad.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Had friends down for an appetizer dinner. My wife always complains that my go to apps are too hard to make or take too long. Armadillo eggs, lolipop drumsticks, scotch eggs, etc. She's not wrong. they all take a bit of prep.

So in the interests of domestic bliss I started looking for something easier and found this loaded potato bites recipe on the RecTeq app. I'd never looked at the recipes on the app before, but it's got some good ones and includes great instructions, especially for newbies. Next time I'd add some minced garlic, but otherwise they were great topped with a dab of sour cream and diced green onions...

5aI7Xe1l.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was going to do some ribs in the smoker. My smoker is an electric smoker, I've had it for a few years now. I couldn't get the smoker to start up. So off to Char-Broil's website I go to order parts to fix it. So my next project will be to tear it apart and replace parts.

If that doesn't work, it will be time to go to a new type of smoker.

I also have to build the cheap new gas grill that I bought from an auction for $50.
    I hear ya. My place is falling apart.
    Went to use the grill, and the heat shield fell off when I closed the lid. (rusted through) Caught me by surprise because I just rebuilt it last year with new grates and burners. I knew then I only had a year or two to go. But standing at it the thing looks great. Just dont look at the underside. LOL Going to start shopping now.

Then I went to trim the grass. Stuck the battery in, pulled the trigger, and nothing. turning the head by hand it barely wanted to turn. Bizarre. Time to buy a new trimmer.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I hear ya. My place is falling apart.
    Went to use the grill, and the heat shield fell off when I closed the lid. (rusted through) Caught me by surprise because I just rebuilt it last year with new grates and burners. I knew then I only had a year or two to go. But standing at it the thing looks great. Just dont look at the underside. LOL Going to start shopping now.

Then I went to trim the grass. Stuck the battery in, pulled the trigger, and nothing. turning the head by hand it barely wanted to turn. Bizarre. Time to buy a new trimmer.
    The reason why I bought that auction grill was because the big Weber has an issue with the manifold leaking. A new manifold is almost as much as a new grill.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The reason why I bought that auction grill was because the big Weber has an issue with the manifold leaking. A new manifold is almost as much as a new grill.
    Im eyeballing one of the Char griller hybrids. I like coals, but also want something I can turn knobs and be rolling in 10 mins with zero effort.
    I might buy their tabletop charcoal/sidebox grill to have a charcoal grill now, and then buy the dual unit in the spring and I'll already have the side smoker box.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Im eyeballing one of the Char griller hybrids. I like coals, but also want something I can turn knobs and be rolling in 10 mins with zero effort.
    I might buy their tabletop charcoal/sidebox grill to have a charcoal grill now, and then buy the dual unit in the spring and I'll already have the side smoker box.
    I used to have the Chargriller hybrid. Even added the side fire box. It eventually got to the point that I only used the propane side to light my charcoal. My charcoal chimney starter fit perfectly over the side burner.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    Looking for an easy, no extra dishes throw on the smoker in a half pan mac and cheese recipe, can you guys help me out? There are all kinds on the web but I would like the :ingo: this is how I do it every time and it works and its good...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    OK, time for a new thermometer. I burned mine up.
    Saturday night as I was grilling smoked sausages I looked below the burners and saw the charred bits were bubbling. I thought to myself, it is probably time to clean out the grill before I have a flareup.

Sunday night I throw a spatchcocked chicken in the smoker for a couple hours, then onto the grill to finish the cook. It wasnt too hot. bird in the very center with the center burner on low, and the two outside burners on high for semi-indirect heat.
    I take the wireless receiver downstairs to my office at 140* or so. I have PLENTY of time.

I was down there about 15 minutes and look over at the receiver. Its not getting a signal. transmitter's battery must be low.

As I am walking up the stairs, the alarm starts beeping on the remote. I look down and the temp reads "HHH". :poop:!

I sprint out the back door and lift the lid. Bird is black as the ace of spades. And the charred bits in the bottom are now mostly gone and dry as a bone. The oil in the bits, being added to by the chicken drippings reached critical and ignited, destroying $10 worth of bird (inside temps only made it to 147*) and $40 worth of thermometer. :xmad: It destroyed the probe wire because it was still reading HHH as I held the probe in my bare hands 5 minutes later. Its a cheap chinese unit that uses proprietary probes (already tried reusing another probe) and you cant buy just probes.

So whatcha all using?

EDIT: I had the bluetooth one from Weber. I really liked the charting feature, but range SUCKED. I think I only could get 30-40' out of it. (kitchen or living room. couldnt go 60' down to my office.)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom