• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I like the jib of your church group.
    When we first started meeting a couple years ago, we had to go around the room and introduce ourselves and tell what we like to do in our free time. I opened up by saying "my name is Hoosierdood* and my favorite hobby is smoking". Had some really wide eyes staring at me until I explained I like smoking meats. Had a good laugh.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Mmmm, pork steak! One of my favorite exports from the 10 years I lived in STL.

Get there from time to time. Love The Hill...you can walk into just about any restaurant at random and find some of the best family ran places.....and that's just the beginning of food places for StL

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    What are you using for rub?
    I make it myself. Happy to share my recipe

4 tbsp smoked sea salt
    2 tbsp dark chili powder
    2 tbsp light brown sugar
    2 tbsp granulated garlic
    2 tbsp smoked paprika
    1 tbsp celery salt
    1 tbsp cumin
    1/2 tbsp fresh cracked black pepper

This makes enough for several slabs of ribs, a couple pork shoulders, and some chicken as well

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I make it myself. Happy to share my recipe

4 tbsp smoked sea salt
    2 tbsp dark chili powder
    2 tbsp light brown sugar
    2 tbsp granulated garlic
    2 tbsp smoked paprika
    1 tbsp celery salt
    1 tbsp cumin
    1/2 tbsp fresh cracked black pepper

This makes enough for several slabs of ribs, a couple pork shoulders, and some chicken as well
    Nice!
    Thank you!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've been out of the game for a few weeks. My OK Joes pellet smoker went sideways on me. First, it started not maintaining temps reliably, too high, then too low. Then it started tripping the GFCI. After I gerry-rigged the ground to avoid tripping the GFCI, it couldn't get above 200 degrees and then only for 30-45 minutes before shutting down.

I ended up firing the parts cannon at it, but in doing so, I think I discovered the primary problems. The GFCI tripping was the igniter rod going bad. I had 2 on hand, so that fixed that. Although in this grill, it is pretty buried in there.

Eventually, I found that the induction fan was working intermittently. That is why I couldn't get a the temps up above 200 degrees. Without the fan, the fire in the pot was just smoldering pellets and it kept dumping pellets to raise the temp, but without the fan, they smoldered and then the fire went out. The grill would shut down after timing out without reaching temp. New fan fixed that.

I also replaced the temp sensor in the smoke chamber...just because. I also replaced the controller. It may not be that bad, but some switches were getting spotty and the LCD polarizing film was peeling...again. I'm going to put a clear vinyl flap that covers the control panel to keep rain off of it...cause you know I smoke regardless of weather.

Anyhoo, I did a test run and it started and ran great keeping the chamber between 293 and 302 when set at 300 and at 248-250 when set on 250. It was about a 2.5 hour test, so it looks like I am back in business.

Now, what to make on Saturday...

[wait for it]

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Some Saturday night pizzas on the Bullseye. Bought par baked crust from a local Italian grocery store. The manager was raving about them and bragging how they are flown in weekly from Rome. They were fine. But the texture and taste reminded me of English muffins. The sauce was Mutti brand garlic and oregano. That was the best sauce I've ever put on a homemade pizza, and it's really not even close.

1FQYpu1l.jpg

Top Bottom