• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    For good ammo with good accuracy at a decent price, as other have said, CCI Std Velocity, CCI Blazer or Federal Automatch (bulk). CCI Minimags have a little more velocity, keep good accuracy, sometimes even better depending upon the gun, and if your auto-loader doesn't feed them reliably, it's the gun.

For either better accuracy (Eley, SK, Lapua, etc) or higher/hyper velocity (Stingers, etc), go up from there and pay more.

Cheap plinking? Just about anything except Remington Thunderbolt unless your goal is to practice clearing failed ammo drills while seeing how well your firearm operates when it's extremely dirty and shooting squib loads.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What’s the best 22 cal ammo?
    I have some more expensive "good stuff" that I have acquired but saving for a special range day when I have occasion to attempt to show off, haha!

In the "regular stuff" here are some examples or using multiple ammo brands.
    I do have a good attitude towards certain brands listed here in no particular order:
    - CCI Standard Velocity
    - CCI Blazer
    - CCI Mini-Mags (sometimes OK)
    - Armscor
    - Federal AutoMatch
    - Aguila Super Extra
    You'll see the inconsistency of accuracy & that with certain guns a particular brand will do better in another target.

10 rounds on each circle.
    1671662491836.png

Some weak spots here.
    1671662734216.png

CCI Blazer did well with the TX, even the Remington Thunderbolts.
    1671663569622.png

Good showing of Aguila SE.
    1671662817782.png

Another good showing of Aguila SE.
    1671662850030.png

CCI Mini-Mags did well in the 16" long revolver.
    1671662900695.png

I learn from this that Rem. Thunderbolts & Rem. Golden Bullets are not quite up to the other brands sometimes, depends on the gun.
    1671662994046.png

CCI Standard Velocity excellent in the SW 41, which you are to use only SV in.
    1671663236867.png

1671663497769.png
    1671663628654.png

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    What’s the best 22 cal ammo?
    Going to need a whole lot more info, use, budget, expectations, etc. Even then all we can do is give you advice. You will still need to actually test it in your guns.
    That said, I can give you some general guidelines. Avoid anything by Remington or Winchester, this includes the Browning as it is made by Winchester. The last several years it has been basically junk, with some being actually dangerous. CCI's production the last few years hasn't been as good as it was, seems like all they care about is numbers and not quality.
    If you are wanting good accuracy on a budget, take a look at some of the lower end of Eley's line, such as Force and Action. Very good ammo, about the same price as CCI SV and a whole lot better over all. Another one to look at is SK Standard+. Also very good ammo at a slighter higher price than the CCI. If you are willing to spend a little more $ take a look at SK Rifle and Pistol Match. Still not big bucks but excellent ammo. Another good ammo is Aguila, both their HV and SV offerings are at least equal to, if not better than comparable CCI lines, and usually cheaper to boot.
    You may not notice it but there is trend in my rimfire choices, all are imported. If you want actual good rimfire ammo, it isn't going to be made in the US.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Interesting that so many of you like CCI SV. I have probably shot it but I don't remember.

I have shot all kinds of stuff over the years but lately I have settled on Mini-Mags, 40 gr and Aguila Super Extra 40 gr. They seem to function best across multiple .22's I have.

I try to keep things simple so I don't want to have to buy 5 different rounds for 5 firearms. I may give up some accuracy, I don't know, but for the type of shooting I do, it seems adequate.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I use CCI SV as a baseline in most firearms then it is just a matter of testing to find whats best for your firearm.

I have had good luck with Lapua CenterX, SK Rifle Match, RWS (R50 and Rifle Match) BUT it all depends on your goals. Lots of ammo will give you minute of squirrel. Gonna take some testing to find minute of a squirrels ear.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Depends what you're doing with it. My bolt-actions and revolvers will eat pretty much anything, but semis are a little more particular. I'm not a precision target shooter, so pinpoint accuracy out of a .22 at 100 yards isn't a huge deal to me, but the gun/ammo combination has to be able to hold the 10 ring at at least 50 feet and be reasonably reliable.

My personal standard for reliability in a semi-auto is that it has to run reliably with Federal AutoMatch or Winchester bulk. The occasional bad primer is acceptable, but I don't want to be clearing malfunctions every other mag, and I also don't want to have to buy premium expensive ammo for range fodder. I've given up on Remington .22 as it's all crap. I bought a bucket of golden bullets during the recent stupidity as it's all I could find, and ended up feeding it all through my revolvers and bolt guns as it didn't want to play nice with my semis. It's also absolutely filthy.

Recently I've been stocking up on AutoMatch because the local Walmart has it at a reasonable price. It's a good balance of economy and performance. For hunting or any situation that demands the utmost reliability, I'll step it up to CCI as those tend to work well in everything. But I can't afford to go through thousands of rounds off CCI at the range like I can the bulk stuff.

CB1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    For best accuracy in my CZ 452 bolt I like Wolf Match or SK standard. CCI SV is nice option for a lower price and is available at WM.
    CCI mini mag seems to good at reliability and function in smaller pistols such as my Beretta Cheetah 87.
    For all purpose use across a wide variety of firearms, Fed Automatch is my choice.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Going to need a whole lot more info, use, budget, expectations, etc. Even then all we can do is give you advice. You will still need to actually test it in your guns.
    That said, I can give you some general guidelines. Avoid anything by Remington or Winchester, this includes the Browning as it is made by Winchester. The last several years it has been basically junk, with some being actually dangerous. CCI's production the last few years hasn't been as good as it was, seems like all they care about is numbers and not quality.
    If you are wanting good accuracy on a budget, take a look at some of the lower end of Eley's line, such as Force and Action. Very good ammo, about the same price as CCI SV and a whole lot better over all. Another one to look at is SK Standard+. Also very good ammo at a slighter higher price than the CCI. If you are willing to spend a little more $ take a look at SK Rifle and Pistol Match. Still not big bucks but excellent ammo. Another good ammo is Aguila, both their HV and SV offerings are at least equal to, if not better than comparable CCI lines, and usually cheaper to boot.
    You may not notice it but there is trend in my rimfire choices, all are imported. If you want actual good rimfire ammo, it isn't going to be made in the US.
    Great information! :thumbsup:
    Been saving some Browning assuming it was a notch better, but now I'll just use it up & see for myself how it compares.
    With my low standards, buying cases when they were on sale before Covid, I have had better luck with some "common" ammo, like Rem. Golden Bullets as an example.
    I was surprised when I read where it was "junk" bulk ammo.
    I've experienced that it didn't keep up with CCI Blazer, CCI SV & Aguila, but for the $45 - $60 I usually paid for 1400 round bucket (3-4 cents per), I didn't expect much.

I do have some Eley & others that I've picked up & will look forward to getting some tighter groups than what I'm used to, especially will do so in the last 2 remaining rifles that I've kept:
    - CZ 512 semi-auto
    - CZ 455 bolt
    I have good experience with the Aguila myself.
    I have 1 brick of Aguila SV that I've been saving to see how it does compared to CCI SV brands.

I was talking to an older man who was using a good brand of ammo & when he found
    I was using CCI SV next to him, he let me shoot a couple of rounds with his "good stuff" & it did please the heart with its accuracy, commensurate with the price x6 more than my CCI SV at the time.
    He also told me he had spoken to a CCI rep & they told him having 2/10 fliers was normal for their manufacturing specs for the CCI SV & not to be discouraged at the errant round that would not stay in the 1" circle at 50 yds that I strive for with the rifles.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    My 10/22 dislikes the Armscorp .22, but will feed, and shoot anything else, the same with my son's S&W Victory....and his 10/22. and yes Thunderbolt is pretty good..

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I mean we have to take into consideration price…… a BUCKET of Remington is only like $90 otd. So unless I am defending myself from a rabid squirrel a malfunction here and there is to be expected and for me it’s accepted.

that being said my kids will be in a youth match so I will be in the lookout for some match grade ammo that the 10/22 likes. Seems to me my first test and look would be with cci subsonic rounds.
    I used to pay $75 w/tax for a 1400 rd bucket of Golden Bullets yrs. ago at a shop till I learned WalMart usually had them in stock for $45-$55, way back before Covid.
    I thought it was a "loss-leader" price to get a person into the shop, haha! :dunno:
    Oh, the inexperience, haha! :ugh:

Being stocked, I haven't bought any .22LR ammo since before Covid, except upon recommendation from a member here, an errant brick of some lower-end Eley that was on sale before prices skyrocketed.
    Good old days was buying a 5000 rd case of CCI Blazer for $200.
    Looking back, like everyone else of course, I wish I'd bought 10 cases of it since the CCI Blazers have done well for me, haha! :thumbsup:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I used to pay $75 w/tax for a 1400 rd bucket of Golden Bullets yrs. ago at a shop till I learned WalMart usually had them in stock for $45-$55, way back before Covid.
    I thought it was a "loss-leader" price to get a person into the shop, haha! :dunno:
    Oh, the inexperience, haha! :ugh:

Being stocked, I haven't bought any .22LR ammo since before Covid, except upon recommendation from a member here, an errant brick of some lower-end Eley that was on sale before prices skyrocketed.
    Good old days was buying a 5000 rd case of CCI Blazer for $200.
    Looking back, like everyone else of course, I wish I'd bought 10 cases of it since the CCI Blazers have done well for me, haha! :thumbsup:
    The golden bullets bucket at Walmart is like $87 + tax now. Same bucket at cabelas is $120+

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The golden bullets bucket at Walmart is like $87 + tax now. Same bucket at cabelas is $120+
    An example of why I don't buy ammo anymore.

Also, why in Oct. 2021 I bought 5 airguns & ended up buying 20,000 pellets in an estate sale, to have range guns for the range on the cheap, haha!
    I bought good quality air guns (mostly German made) & have $245 in them on average.
    I started out with a $100 air rifle (bought May 2021) with a scope on it here on INGO.
    In Oct I paid $400 for a great German air rifle from an INGO member & ended up buying another 4 air guns from, since he knew everything about them & I, nothing.
    I trusted his experience knowing I was getting good value & went 110% as is my custom, haha!

Top Bottom