• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    I bought a browning buckmark camper at 21st century firearms a while back for $289.00 and really like it. It was on sale but they have a few different .22's to choose from all the time.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Another vote for the Mark II Ruger. I also bought a 22/45 when they were first introduced and it's the most accurate pistol I've ever owned including my 22 Match Contender. I have had a scope mounted on mine from the very start. The trigger leaves something to be desired but if time isn't an issue I can get a clean break out of it.

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'd get a Ruger MkII or MkIII.

I own a later model Walter P22, specifically the P22 "military" with the OD Green frame. It's got a lot of problems, literally won't feed certain ammo types, and I would just not recommend period.

Rickshaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    My S&W 22A will shot a dime size group off hand at 25 yards. I introduced all my children to the shooting sport with the 22A.

Triton20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    My favorite semi-auto 22 was a Browning Buckmark Camper that had a bull barrel,tru-glo front site and ultra grips. It was fun to shoot and the wife loved shooting it. But it was stolen last summer when my house was broken into.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have a Ruger MKIII hunter, Buckmark and have played around with a lot of other .22"s
    Guns that I do not own, but have played with:

1. 22A is very nice. My buddy just got one at the last 1500. we took it out last weekend and had zero issues and it was comfortable and accurate.

2. Beretta Neos was accurate, the grip and trigger were not the greatest.

3. P22, It was a loaner gun for a NRA class. Trigger didn't feel all that great. jammed a lot didn't seem as accurate as the others.

4. misquito, It was ammo picky and after breakin it would run the cheap ammo. However after 150rds it would jam a lot. it also had a poor trigger compared to the 22A,buckmark,Ruger.

The ones that I own:

1. Ruger MKIII hunter. I replaced the sights with target sights. everything else is stock. It is a great shooter, accurate and reliable.

2. Buckmark I have a pistol and rifle. The rifle is bone stock and the pistol is used and has some trigger work. The trigger on the used one is light but the reset is goofy. but a very accurate and reliable gun. both guns are great shootes.

The ruger is the hardest to take apart, but once you learn how to do it, the job isnt that bad.

The 22A is the easiest to clean.(not sure about the Neos)

The buckmarks are easy but having to remove the top rail screws sucks when you have a scope/red dot on it.

All of these can be found for your price range or maybe a little higher. fondle some, try to shoot them to get a feel for what fits best..etc

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Here's the thing, of the four that I would put in the "target" class (Ruger Mk III, Browning Buck Mark, Beretta Neos, S&W 22A) they all have very different grips. You'd think that with four lines (and there are different grips within lines too) that some would be similar. They're not.

I couldn't stand the 22A grip. Just couldn't get used to it. The Neos grip was smallish and angles like a Glock. The Ruger grips are "traditional" hard metal feeling which I personally don't like. The Buck Mark Contour's form fitting rubberish grip was the bomb. Once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down...

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Ruger Mark III 22/45 RP (Replaceable Panel). Most 1911 after market grips will fit the 22/45 with only minor adjustments (modeling knife and 5 minutes). Tons of after market parts.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Why has no one suggested the Browning Buckmark?

The cheapest I've seen new is $300 and I think they feel a lot better than a Ruger Mark anything, and they still feel better than the Ruger 22/45

I'm just saying....Buckmark

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    Ive had a 22a for about a year now, I love it. Mines the all camo version with bull barrel. I've got a cheapo holo sight on top.

Im around 2500 rounds through it and could probably count the FTE/FTF's i've had on one hand (they were from some old questionable ammo) and that was when it was new. It's run flawlessly for the last 2K rounds. It goes to the range virtually every time i do.

I've not got experience with the Rugers or Buckmarks, but i will recommend the 22a all day long.

They can be had brand new for $250ish, maybe less.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I have a 22-A, the darn thing is a great gun to shoot. My wife and kids can shoot it, its accurate enough they enjoy shooting without the recoil of a centerfire. I have had it for YEARS, cant guess how many boxes of ammo put thru it. I did replace the recoil buffer, but not due to failure, only due to wear.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Why has no one suggested the Browning Buckmark?

The cheapest I've seen new is $300 and I think they feel a lot better than a Ruger Mark anything, and they still feel better than the Ruger 22/45

I'm just saying....Buckmark

Too many good 22 pistol out there ... just get them all. I working on my collection: Three and counting.

rec4309

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Grandville, MI
    I have a 22a, a 22/45 with replaceable grips, and a mark 3 SS target. The Rugers have trigger parts available that give them very good pulls. The 22a trigger needed a little smoothing to make it OK, couldn't find parts to take the play out but am planning on reworking the trigger bar. for 250 you are limited to the Smith, but for an extra 60 you can get a 22/45. I would look for an used Ruger if I were spending my money.

Top Bottom