• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bluepkp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    I have a Rem. 700 in .223 26" 1-9 twist barrel. I have an AR with a 20" 1-8 twist that loves the 68gr hornady bthp with 25grs of Varget. Ive tried this in the Rem. but its not as accrurate.

My question is how much do I have to drop the weight of the bullet for the 1-9 twist barrel?

Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    FWIW my 1/9 twist AR dosent like much over a 60 grainer. You could also try pushing that 68 grain bullet a little faster. Obviously use caution and work up slowly. Hodgedon lists 26 grains of Varget as a max load with 69 grain sierra.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    As long as the bullets aren't tumbling you might find an accurate load by trying different powder charges. But a 62-63gr might work better in the 1:9" barrel.

FWIW the 62gr SS109 bullet used in the M885 NATO is longer than a typical 62gr bullet would be and needs a tighter twist to stabilize - that's why you can sometimes get away with a 68-69gr bullet in a 1:9".

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Bluekpk, since your Remington is a longer barrel ( and does not bleed off some gas pressure 6 inches from the muzzle) , you may be getting a lot higher velocity. I would assume that to be the case unless you have a chronograph to check velocity. I would drop the powder charge down a couple of grains, test for accuracy then come back up 1/2 grain at a time. The 1-9 should have no trouble with a 68 grain or 69 grain match bullet. Good Luck

releo 37

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Like Leo said about the velocity and you might take a look at oal. The magazine for a AR limits the oal but in a bolt gun you can make your oal a little longer and get the bullet closer to the lands and get better accuracy. The 1-9 twist should work with the 68-69 gr bullets

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My Savage 10FP is 1:9 and likes a load very similar you posted in the OP. You might even bump up the charge a bit to see if you pick up some velocity and tighten your groups so long as you aren't seeing pressure signs.

I'd guess you're in the 2900 FPS range with the load you posted if you are loading to AR mag length. I'm pushing that projectile to about 3000FPS and having good accuracy and no pressure signs.

What primer are you using?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You say "not as accurate". Please define that.

A stock AR is usually inherently more accurate than a stock Rem 700 for a host of reasons. Your load may not even be one of the reasons.

bluepkp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Thanks for all the input i plan on bumping up the charge a little bit at a time. i also have some 62gr Barnes on the way.

bluepkp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    My Savage 10FP is 1:9 and likes a load very similar you posted in the OP. You might even bump up the charge a bit to see if you pick up some velocity and tighten your groups so long as you aren't seeing pressure signs.

I'd guess you're in the 2900 FPS range with the load you posted if you are loading to AR mag length. I'm pushing that projectile to about 3000FPS and having good accuracy and no pressure signs.

What primer are you using?

I am using CCI SR

bluepkp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011

A stock AR is usually inherently more accurate than a stock Rem 700 for a host of reasons. Your load may not even be one of the reasons.

Both of these guns are somewhat custom. The Rem has a Shilen SS Barrel, Jewel trigger, hogue stock and Badger rail. The action has been trued and hand lapped lugs.

The AR is a Sharps lower, Colt upper, RRA 20" SS varmint barrel, Geissele trigger and KAC free float rail.:ingo:

bluepkp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011

I can hold a .425" group with my AR but my 700 with my hand loads opens up to 1.377" group. Factory loads are even worse hornaday superformance is a joke.

:patriot:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I can hold a .425" group with my AR but my 700 with my hand loads opens up to 1.377" group. Factory loads are even worse hornaday superformance is a joke.

:patriot:

I don't know but it sounds to me like you have other problems with your 700 than ammo. It is one very rare .223 (or 308) 700 that won't shoot sub moa. Have you checked out other potential problems?

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    FWIW, I've had a tough time with some groups in a .223 bolt gun and the issue was the OAL. Worked with a buddy on it as I'm a noob to reloading and tightened it right up.

bluepkp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    I don't know but it sounds to me like you have other problems with your 700 than ammo. It is one very rare .223 (or 308) 700 that won't shoot sub moa. Have you checked out other potential problems?

I have checked everything I can think of even scoped the barrel but nothing showed thats why I think I need to tune the ammo.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have checked everything I can think of even scoped the barrel but nothing showed thats why I think I need to tune the ammo.

May want to try bumping up OAL a bit too after you try a little warmer load.

Also, have you checked to see what you actual twist rate is? Mine ended up being closer to 1:8.5 than 1:9, although it was pretty imprecise in how we measured it (tight patch and cleaning rod that was allowed to rotate).

Maybe you're getting out on the other side of 1:9 and not quite qucik enough for the longer bullet. Dropping to the 62's should help troubleshoot that as well.

FWIW mine shoots 68's and 69's much better than the heavier 75 HDY and 77 SIE bullets.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Lot's of people seem to have problems shooting anything heavier that 68gn out of a 1/9 twist. However I shoot 75grn match HPBT out of my 1/9 Bushmaster and don't seem to have a problem. I use approx 22grns of 2230 for my match loads and it seems to do fine out to 300yrds. Haven't loaded any of those for a while so can't remember the Xact grns but I have it written on the boxes I store them in. If I remember to check...I'll come back and edit this post with the Xact load. Uneployment seems to put a cramp on my Shooting habits!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Like Leo said about the velocity and you might take a look at oal. The magazine for a AR limits the oal but in a bolt gun you can make your oal a little longer and get the bullet closer to the lands and get better accuracy. The 1-9 twist should work with the 68-69 gr bullets

This is your answer. :yesway:

Top Bottom