• billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I am always willing to learn..

You say "not as accurate". Please define that.

A stock AR is usually inherently more accurate than a stock Rem 700 for a host of reasons. Your load may not even be one of the reasons.

How can a stock semi-auto weapon be "inherently more accurate" than a stock bolt gun??
    I have seen the opposite in my shooting years. Again I am always open to learning something??
    BTW: I do NOT own/shoot an AR platform rifle- I DO own 4 Remington 700's-the three of the stock HB ones will shoot sub .75" MOA all day long, and the one sporter weight 22-250 Rem. BDL will shoot 1.0"MOA, most all day long.
    If the AR platform rifles can better these results, then I may check into updating my inventory??? Bill..

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    The Rem. 700 should shoot sub MOA..

Both of these guns are somewhat custom. The Rem has a Shilen SS Barrel, Jewel trigger, hogue stock and Badger rail. The action has been trued and hand lapped lugs.

The AR is a Sharps lower, Colt upper, RRA 20" SS varmint barrel, Geissele trigger and KAC free float rail.:ingo:

If your Shilen is a 1:9 or 1:10", there should be no reason why you can not get sub MOA with 55-65gr. bullets.
    If it does with Factory (Quality-NO junk) loads, then it is your loads, if not it is the rifle. I'm sure that you already have-but-check that your Hogue stock is contact free on the barrel, back to the action..Bill.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Sir, you may want to update your inventory.

I didn't say a stock semi-auto is inherently more accurate than a stock bolt gun.

I said that a stock AR is inherently more accurate than a stock Rem 700.

The floating bolt of the AR and the lack of the need for free floating the barrel of the AR makes it so. (we weren't talking about tightly slung rifles)

I have been shooting for well over 40 years in high power competition. And the AR15 has transformed high power into something that 15 year old girls can win National Championships with the platform. Not only because of the lack of real recoil, but because with a free float tube, even sling pressures have no effect on bullet placement. It is easily a 1/2 MOA rifle with very few mods.

I too own several bolt action rifles in various calibers that used to be my "go to" rifles for matches. most of them are just gathering dust and I hold them in front of the TV and remember......

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Just to add. The modern Highpower competitor buys a standard AR15 from any of the manufacturers (there is no difference between them), adds a 1X8 barrel, (it doesn't matter which one), a service rifle trigger (it doesn't matter which one) a free float tube, 1/2 MOA rear sight.

And that is all it takes to have a rifle that can shoot clean scores out to 600 yards with good ammo.

Contrast that with the guy starting out with even a REM 40X or an M1A.

Things have changed, for sure. Not that I like it. One of my heros still shoots a custom built Winchester Model 70 bolt gun in 260, but I still outshoot him most days with my AR15 space gun in 223.

It is almost like cheating.

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I thank you for the info Slough...

GREAT info, Slough. I am always open to facts/ideas+opinions. I would like to read more posts from others also supporting your contentions.
    There MAY be an AR platform weapon to be placed in my inventory in the near future?? It's one of those things that I have to check out for myself.
    Heck, this last year I finally bought a Glock pistol, so I am coming along, as far as moving to the plastic gun movement.
    This does not mean that I will park all of my pinned barrel S&W's, just expand my horizons..Bill.

Top Bottom